Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Edinburgh newbie
I've been a silent member of the club for several months: lusting enviously at your cars; assimilating the knowledge and lingo and gradually yielding to the DeLorean dogma.

I guess DMC is in my DNA. I was born in ’74, grew up within 10 miles of the Dunmurry plant and my father worked for the Industrial Development Board that helped fund JZD. I visited the plant and sat in several cars including one RHD (possibly Vin 510 but who knows) during a primary school trip. Sadly this was only months before the auction.

I’ve owned classic cars for years and lucked out when one rocketed in value. No skill on my part, a pure fluke. Suddenly I had the cash to buy a DeLorean. The hunt was on.

I bid for the Legend Vin 570 that Chris N converted to RHD but finished second on eBay by £500. I bid for the C4 RHD car but pulled out in the mid £20s. Then I saw that Chris Parnham was selling Flashy (Vin522) aka the Barmouth car. I wasn’t going to miss out again, especially for an early Factory Engineering car nursed back to health by Mr RHD himself. I offered the full asking price – no haggling and then waited nervously as Flashy was driven to Dorset and back. No other bidders emerged; I had finally got one.

Chris P is amazing. What other seller would send a buyer a list of every little niggle that needed ironing out? What other seller would offer to put some of them right himself? What other buyer would offer it to club members at a substantial discount to ‘open market’ prices? A true gentleman and ambassador for our club . I am lucky to be buying a car from him.

But now is the lull. I’ve cleared out the garage, bought the manuals and prepared Flashy’s new nest but I still need to sell my other car before completing the transaction. I’m sitting here dreaming of Flashy’s red interior, modded engine and Euro-spec rear lights while she waits with Chris. In order to repay the Karma shown to me, I’m trying to be a decent a seller of my car. I’m pointing out all the little jobs that need to be done while internally screaming “just bloody buy it so I can pick up my DeLorean.” A bloke is flying up from London on Saturday to drive it – he must be serious right? Fingers crossed.

So hopefully very soon Vin 522 will be in Edinburgh and be stretching her legs on the Scottish roads. Waiting is so very difficult.
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Congratulations! What a car to have gotten a hold of, I bet you can hardly wait Smile Will be nice to have another DeLorean in Edinburgh too!

Welcome to the club Smile
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
I don't know what to say Spencer. For once i'm embarrassed! I'm sure you'll love Flashy, i'd like to think you will be keeping Des's colour scheme, but obviously thats up to you. Electric windows now fixed….I bet Mike S would have like to have them both open last weekend! It was hot.

On a different note, AXI is not as bad as I first thought, been working on it today. When I picked it up, 300 miles ago, it had a cold and hot start problem….but thanks to few long runs , a bottle of injector cleaner and it seems to have healed itself.

Dave Howarth always maintains that these things need USING....give them a good blast up the motorway, a drop of injector cleaner occasionally and she'll be right.

Flashy's broken speedo cable is the next challenge. She's quite safe tucked up in my garage!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Quote:For once i'm embarrassed!
Don't believe it :wink:
Quote:it had a cold and hot start problem….but thanks to few long runs , a bottle of injector cleaner and it seems to have healed itself.

Dave Howarth always maintains that these things need USING....
never a truer word spoken

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Glad its gone to a happy and enthusiastic new owner Spencer!

I have seen around this car a few times in some detail at various stages of its resurrection and Chris has worked very hard and very thoroughly on it. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it!

I'd be interested to see some 'as found' photos from where you rescued the car and first examined it, if you have 'em, Chris?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Lots of 'before' photos here Richard. Chris P had his work cut out!

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/frinky/se ... 485951791/

I also have a PDF of the auction with more pics.

Don't worry, the Red is staying but I might tone it down just a little Chris.
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Auction PDF link

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?id=2561
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Congratulation on your purchase!
What a nice DeLorean you've got here, an early VIN with its beautiful red interior.
Congrats on the purchase Spencer. Glad to see that it stayed local, although being RHD would probably limit the attraction on the continent or US.

Looking forward to seeing it truly completed.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
great news you've finally got your dream car Spencer!!

Just looked at the auction catalogue, OMG, I'd forgotten how rough that car was when
Chrispy bought it!!

It looks great now, and I'm sure you Edinburgh owners will be having lots of mini meets now Smile

What car are you selling btw?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
a few more pictures…sort that little lot out!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks for all being so welcoming! I'm looking forward to getting to know you during my stewardship of Flashy.
Spencer

Vin 522 RHD "Flashy"
Well i'm all done…after a week of solid work both cars are now running fine. Flashy now has a speedo and windows that work…DeLores actually looks nice underneath and stops….and its fans now work.

All ready for you Spencer, to make some more room in my garage. ( no rush)

I will be so sorry to see Flashy go…..and it does…like stink! I was road testing both cars at 5.30 this morning…up and down the A38.

Last pictures of them together, this morning. ( one taken earlier this week)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Come a long way since that April day in... 2010? 2011? Can barely even remember. Congrats, Spencer!
Here are a few before and after picks.. The spark plug was loose in the 'valley of death"….dropped by a Dunmurry engineer no doublt.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian