Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worth importing this '82 D as a project?
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:I dare say there is a bit of collateral in the existing frame too as someone will buy it as a core to do a restoration.

If I end up buying this project I might be making you an offer for that frame :lol: :wink:
The other reason I'm hesitant is because this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5206 has really piqued my interest. Anyone know if these cars are still available?
kieran Wrote:The other reason I'm hesitant is because this thread: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5206 has really piqued my interest. Anyone know if these cars are still available?
All are still available as far as I know, you would be best to drop a PM to Stian for further details on the cars he has.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Quote:Multiple comments from users on this site suggesting the car has flood damage:
Well found Mike, certinally would explain why the frames so bad for a dry state, plus Florida is not to far from New Orleans where hurricane Katrina hit, perhaps it came from that area?
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Re the car you posted at the beginning on this thread, if you check the link I posted on the first page, you will see comments like:

"For $7,500, it’s an expensive parts car that needs virtually everything. Pictures suggest a flood history and whether prior to or after the flood event, some form of electrical 'sorting' has been attempted. One could pour another $10K in this car and wonder where it went."
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:Re the car you posted at the beginning on this thread, if you check the link I posted on the first page, you will see comments like:

"For $7,500, it’s an expensive parts car that needs virtually everything. Pictures suggest a flood history and whether prior to or after the flood event, some form of electrical 'sorting' has been attempted. One could pour another $10K in this car and wonder where it went."

Sorry I missed your post on the previous page, MIke. Great spot, I'll steer clear I think and PM sent to Stian but as yet no reply. Thanks for your help with this, really very much appreciated!
Chris Williams Wrote:And looking at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4745&start=30
It appears Chris Parnham is selling his right hand drive car vin#522

Sadly, I suspect such an early vin and a RHD would be beyond my budget. Though I think one of Stian's cars might be a good bet.
MikeWard Wrote:Multiple comments from users on this site suggesting the car has flood damage:
http://bringatrailer.com/2014/06/09/198 ... n-project/

That's exactly what I was thinking while I looked at the ad, and before I completed reading this thread.

Melbourne got hit by Hurricane Fay in 2008 and it could have well bee sitting since then

http://www.nationalfloodinsurance.org/about.php

A quick carfax says that it has no flood records, but that just means that no-one made a claim on it.

http://www.carfax.com/processVin.cfx?vi ... image.y=15

But it may just be the salty air eating away at it.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Im a car mechanic we have a fully tricked out garage here.. after seeing the advert and reading the comments I would think hard about this restoration. Chris Parnham recently replied to posts with regards to restoration outlining some hard facts that I couldn't agree more with. You could fall out of love with the car before you get to drive it as it becomes a money pit with LOTS of hardship.

looking at the advert Id say you have a long slog ahead of you. I paid a considerable sum for my D which was in good condition, when I got it home put it up on the ramp I did a snag list another £4k & nearly 2 years on I can honestly say its mint. In your case Id say you could end up shelling out another 10K to get this car up to speed as there WILL be lots of hidden gremlins along the way.

My advice save a few quid more buy a car that's driving with a good frame in average condition ...wait keep watching and then pounce on it. At least you can drive it & enjoy it doing those Saturday jobs one at a time.

Best of luck Keiran whatever road you take.
dave t Wrote:My advice save a few quid more buy a car that's driving with a good frame in average condition ...wait keep watching and then pounce on it. At least you can drive it & enjoy it doing those Saturday jobs one at a time.

Thanks Dave, that's good advice, I think having read the comments about floor damage I'm going to steer well clear. While it's tempting to jump on a project when you spot one, especially as DeLorean prices seem to be going up all the time and projects are rare, I don't think I'm ready to take on something like this. Thanks again!
That kind of car would be appropriate for a vendor (Ed, Josh) to restore, but it would be a mega-project for an individual owner. Some people do take it on but for everyone one that suceeds, several more fall by the wayside due to running out of enthusiasm and/or money.
It should be blended with the rolling frame for 00712 that was for sale in California recently.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
kieran Wrote:Not sure where I first read that but found reference to it here: http://www.pjgrady.co.uk/genericcontent ... is_made_of

I'm 99.999% certain no production car ever got a stainless chassis. They were there in the development/prototyping stage but scrapped really early on.
that Florida car is probably a parts car now at best if its 'been swimming' as we used to say
in the Motor Trade.

Panels, wheels, lights, odd bits of trim are probably worth what vendor is asking, but no more.

Mind you, that sort of car is the sort of thing that Rob Scott is mad enough to take on lol
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Just to add some information to this thread, i seen this car is now for sale on eBay US for $19,999 a considerable amount more than the $7,500 Craigslist advert.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381020592439

Jamie