Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Con Pipes Location
Hello

Just on with putting a few parts on the car and as there were none on when i bought it i am trying to figure out where the front to rear pipes are actually mounted/located.

i suspect it is just on the inner lip of the chassis, but does anyone have a picture i can use as a guide? or a rough description?

Does one run on one side and one on the other like the water pipes?

thanks!
Hi. Here are 2 images for you to study...

[Image: 720.gif]
[Image: explodaviewlarge.jpg]

My presumption is that both aircon hoses run front to rear on the same side as the compressor.

The opposite side of the chassis carry coolant for the heater core, and fuel through hard lines.

I have read that aircon pipework can interfere with the steering knuckle, I think one owner had a pipe bust due to it rubbing against the steering column knuckle, so take extra care.

If you have to undo evaporator/accumulator pipework under front right hand wheel arch, proceed with caution because although the collar nuts undo ok, the aluminum pipes can weld themselves together after 30 years +

Hope this helps.

Ben
ah yes that second picture bottom right shows where i was wondering. Makes sense now.

Yeah i have the parts catalogue pics but after searching on the net i could not find exactly where it goes around the front area.

Yeah most of the parts are new, and all are undone already, and hopefully wont need removing anytime soon!

cheers for the help!
One hose runs down the left side, the other down the right.

IIRC the high pressure (smaller diameter) hose runs down the left hand side.

The hoses sit just on top of the flange that runs the length of the chassis.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
As Rich wrote:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
The pipes are a bit of a ' Delorean classic' too - the original pipes can't be fited/ refitted if the body and chassis are together, as the end fitings are too big to get though the gap between the frame and the under-tub.

One of the vendors (Special t??) does / did a kit with different end fittings which can be slid though, I did this myself a few years ago.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
oh balls that was not what i wanted to hear, even though i know the outcome, no fitted pipes and tears, i am still going to give it a try!

cheers for the pics Chris just what i needed
infact while i am here, can anyone tell me which pipe i am missing here to join the 2 red marked pipes?, ive tried to look on the parts catalogue but none seem to show it specifically my car is post 1233 too.
I think its a bent aluminium pipe with 2 short rubber connections.

Try part no. 101595:

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_ ... s_id=41056

Plus 2x 100506 (short bits of rubber hose, can't remember the diameters off the top but generally you mnight be better buying ~1m of it from somewhere to chop up as necessary!)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
PS re Pipes, Good luck, I did mine on my back under the car but if you've some means of lifting it your life will be easier = you might just manage if you're patient!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
yeah i just had a little look under the car and it is going to be a pain. Will give it a more detailed go this weekend

ive pulled out a few more bits i have no idea what they are:

big loom looks like engine bay loom? if it is i have no use for it is there much need for them?

also there is a smaller loom attached to a metal frame, looks bizzare?
Yep, it is the engine bay loom. Hang on to it if you can, the end connectors are hard to get hold of (especially the coloured ones) and will probably be of use to someone, if not even yourself for bits.

The smaller one with the frame goes anlong the bulkhead. The rear of the engine wiring loom is clipped along the long round bar. The cruciform section goes on the LHS of the bulkead. The square balck press switch on it is what operates the engine bay courtesy light.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
PS - the two tubular things stamped 'Bosch' are the ignition ballast resistors, getting the wiring right to these is critical to operation!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
excellent cheers for that, all of it is redundant as the original engine is not being used. I will put it in my box of spare bits.
I never throw anything DeLorean away…its amazing what come in at a later date, especially if you ever change your car.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian