Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breakdown cover for older everyday cars?
Hi folks, does anyone have any reccommendations for breakdown cover for an older everyday car?

My daily driver is a 1997 Rover 820 (In Britain, dey call it der Fastback) which my current provider has called to say is no longer covered as it is over 17 years old. But once it becomes a classic (>20 years) they will cover it again!

So I'm in limbo for three years! (With that crowd anyway!)

So - any recoomendations for UK or even European cover for an older daily driver neo-classic?

I seem to remember the AA balking at anything >11years, am I right?
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:I seem to remember the AA balking at anything >11years, am I right?
Nope, I go out to plenty 11yrs plus. As with car insurance everyone has there own ideas as to who is best, European cover can get pricey though who ever you use. I have 'pm'd you a link to a AA discount site.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Im sure Chris has covered it with his PM, but I am with the AA, mainly because its the driver ( and spouse) who are covered, regardless of which car we are driving.
I always have to negotiate hard each renewal time to get a decent price. It even covers trailers as well. I once had to have one recovered when two wheels ( and hubs) fell off….it was full of block pavers!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Ah, excellent, so for one payment I could cover both the wife and myself and effectively both cars in one go? That's not a bad idea. Thanks for the link Chris (W), I'll have a go and see what it comes out as!

Thanks, Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
All of the major companies AA/RAC give you the option of either covering a specific vehicle (anyone driving it is covered) or yourself (and if you wish others) driving any vehicle all down to how much you wish to pay, at the end of the day it's insurance your buying. Less cover (risk) cheaper it is. Usually in multicar households better to get cover so all drivers are covered in any car (including any they are a passenger in)
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I think I'm paying about £95, not cheap, but i only need one breakdown on the motorway to come out on top.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Thanks all, I'm now the AA's newest member, both the wife and myself in ANY car including home-start and ait came out to £160. There was a clause about if you have roadside assisst only the car has to be less than 10 years old but I have gone for recovery as well and no such clause exists.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Top man Rich, keep me in a job :wink: Should any other forum member want access to reduced AA cover just drop me a 'PM' One could even say one of the many benefits! from avery very nice man :roll:
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
No worries, thanks Chris, and don't take this the wrong way but hopefully I won't be seeing you 'professionally'!!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hi Rich,
assuming that you have an incident free next 12 months….when your renewal comes through for about £160, …argue with them and say your considering going else where and the renewal figure will miraculously drop to less than £100! Ive done that for the last 3 years.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Oi Mr P how do you expect me to get a pay rise :lol:
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Rich, have you checked your bank account lately? Reason being that I'm with Lloyd's and upgraded my a/c to platinum,and by paying an extra £7 something a month, get free AA Roadside and recovery, as well as travel and mobile phone cover too. In the past I've used this a couple of times, and well recommend it-all you need to show is your bank card when the Patrol arrives, I think you're limited to 4 call outs a year. I think most banks do something similar with added benefits. 8)
And they don't mind fixing DeLoreans that break down in the rain when a brand new dizzy cap has a crack in it.......
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!