Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radio Issues
Hi Everyone,

The guy I got my car from said that the when he got it, he was told the radio hadnt functioned for years. Before I write the thing off and buy another is there anything other than a fault within the radio itself that could be stopping it from working? I thought pehaps there may be a seperate fuse for the radio?

If I do change it which I plan to in the long run anyway with a cd, how do I get it out? I think its bolted on behind the console area, am I right?

Cheers, Happy mums day to any mums out there!
There are 2 inline fuse holders behind the radio itself

NickT
To take the radio out the "easy" way...

Get a flat head screwdriver and gently lift up the tabs on the centre console air vents. There is three at the bottom and three at the top. GENTLY left them up slightly and then pull the vent out completly.

Depending on what radio you have?? Craig? Pull the knobs off the radio and you will see a little bolt underneath. Undo these bolts and the radio is now free. Chances are that the radio is not attached to the frame behind it, if it is then get on your back and peer behind the dash and remove it with a wrench. Once all this is done the radio can be pushed back inside the dash then pushed up and out of the hole left by the air vents.

You will see and green/white wire with an inline fuse and a purple wire with an inline fuse, these are the ones to check.

To reinstall the radio you will have to take the air vents apart. Look at the sides and you will see two holes, with a watchmakers screwdriver push into this hole and you will be able to remove the swivel part that closes the vents, do this on both sides and then remove the large vent section themselves (be careful of any little bits that fall out) With the vemts apart you can then put the rubber "socks" back over the holes and then put the vent housing back in the dash, reinstall all the plastic bits into the air vent housing and you are finished. Takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Whoah! lots of info there, cheers guys I'll give it a whurl when I get a chance. Are the orig Craig speakers compatable with modern cd players?
I think they are 4 ohm impedance so should be ok.

I think most people replace them now anyway as the paper cone seems to always fall to pieces and sound awful anyway.

Front replacement are 3.5" I think the after market speakers for a Mk II Golf will fit. I would remove the speaker and compare it before you buy it though.

NickT.
Yes!
However it is best to replace the speakers and run new wiring for a modern stereo as the old speakers have wiring that is linked together and wont do a modern stero with an amp in it a lot of good.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
All this was dicussed on this topic;
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44
Hope it helps.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584