Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake/Clutch fluid flush through replacement
Howdy folks.

Been thinking, while working on my Civic during days of late, that i've owned LEX for nearly 4 years, and i've never had the brake or clutch fluid changed. I know, I know, I should be doing this every couple of years. Anyway, can people advise if there is a written method to doing this yourself, and what grade of fluid to use, or is this best just being put on the "garage to do list"?

I couldn't see any thread on the forum about this topic already, but admit I didn't look for very long...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
You should replace the fluid like for like, I assume it would have DOT 4 brake/clutch fluid in it currently, perhaps Martin can confirm this for you?

It makes things easier if there are two people doing the job. Nothing to it really, just jack the relevant corner up, remove the wheel, put your hose onto the brake caliper bleed nipple. Undo the nipple and have your helper pump the brake pedal. Tighten the nipple, top up the reservoir, and repeat until you're happy that fresh fluid has made it's way to the caliper.

The bleed order is:
1) - O/S Rear
2) - N/S Rear
3) - O/S Front
4) - N/S Front

I haven't attempted to bleed the clutch yet, it's a bit of a pig to get to.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Behold the mighty Automatic.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
MikeWard Wrote:You should replace the fluid like for like, I assume it would have DOT 4 brake/clutch fluid in it currently, perhaps Martin can confirm this for you?

It makes things easier if there are two people doing the job. Nothing to it really, just jack the relevant corner up, remove the wheel, put your hose onto the brake caliper bleed nipple. Undo the nipple and have your helper pump the brake pedal. Tighten the nipple, top up the reservoir, and repeat until you're happy that fresh fluid has made it's way to the caliper.

The bleed order is:
1) - O/S Rear
2) - N/S Rear
3) - O/S Front
4) - N/S Front

I haven't attempted to bleed the clutch yet, it's a bit of a pig to get to.

Cheers Mike. I have no idea when these fluids were last done. I heavily suspect that the last person to do them would have been Martin. I don't see Jamie doing this at all, but might have been done under his ownership BY Martin? Martin to comment.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Behold the mighty Automatic.

You just pipe down with that Auto-Talk Rich. :wink:

I've never done these fluids on ANY car. I'm just getting into it with my Civic now, and have been thinking that I should be getting LEX done at the next soonest opportunity, especially since i'll have the car in the garage later this year to hopefully cure my two oil leaks. I also need to do an engine oil change. I've only ever done ONE in 2010! My gearbox oil will get changed after the emptying for the seal replacements on the gear box for curing my oil leaks. Thought I might as well get ALL the fluids done at once.

Anyone got any comments on the clutch fluid?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I found this:

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/clutchbleed.html

I take it DOT4 is standard use for both brake and clutch fluid on the D'?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
DOT4 will be jus' fine....
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rissy Wrote:I take it DOT4 is standard use for both brake and clutch fluid on the D'?
Yep that'll work just fine.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562