Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original Delorean Spring Supplier Found!
I assume when Chris P had some made, teh company would have been working to a specific set of dimensions? That date must exist somewhere.

Unfortunately I have fitted my Euro-spec springs in the last few months so don't have any uncompressed ones.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I agree with Martin, for what ever reason, the "spring Job" is a bit of a minefield.

... BTW Richard H's car is currently parked on my drive, with my new springs fitted a few weeks ago and looks just fine.

I do have a couple of new sets left but, when they are gone, I won't be having any more made.....someone else can pick up that poisoned chalice!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hopefully there should be no issues with the OE supplier, Darren has had my set for testing as they are unused OE ones, this along with the companies origional data should be a good start I would have thought. I'm all for testing a set from them, just need to decide how much I would like it lowered by!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
A few points:

Did you mean £50 per pair or each? Sounds about right for a bulk order or a bit expensive respectively.

Handling improves markedly with an increase in rate to the front. Next time you drive over one of those big speed humps, notice how the front soaks up much of the movement but the rear climbs over it. With Ed's (or my) springs, the difference is equalised and not to the detriment of ride comfort I should add.

I'm not convinced by the change chassis design theory, there really isn't much room in there for a change and anything as arbitary as altering the position of the spring seat is likely to have an undesirable effect on handling.

I wish we could get a solid answer on the suuspension design story. Mike loasby has said no change was ever made yet most cars on original springs look daft with their noses in the air. You've also got Lotus in the mix who have done dubious things with the suspension on the VX220 vs the Elise if you like conspiracy theories! You see VX's advertised as having had Elise springs and wheels fitted
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Quote:Did you mean £50 per pair or each? Sounds about right for a bulk order or a bit expensive respectively.
I read it as £50.00 each, not sure the plan was to do a bulk order more, if you read between the lines ordering direct from the manufacturer what you require. That's how I read it anyway. Though things do change I suppose.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Oh okay, that makes sense. £100/pair for a one-off is perfectly reasonable.

I seem to remember needing to buy 3 pairs in order to equal Ed's price. 25 pairs got a LOT cheaper!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Andy d kindly sent me an early VIN spring (500-999 VIN) Big Grin

Now here's what the manufacturers testing revealed compared with a NOS later VIN spring...

"The spec is similar to the original front spring supplied that we took measurements from , except that if you put the same load on this spring the loaded

Length is 15 mm higher so in theory this spring would raise front end by + 15 mm based on if everything is the same i.e. mounting points and

Shocks etc."

Or give the same ride height if your early VIN turret was 15mm higher.

OK, so the last bit of information required before we can manufacture springs is to measure a front "lowered or Euro" spring. This will give me all the data required to ensure anyone wanting new springs can get exactly what they require. So if anyone has a lowered spring they can lend me for testing (providing its not knackered of course) I'd appreciate it.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574