Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brushing stainless
allright kids,

just on with stripping the paint off my Delorean,

where can i get a wolf head wheel from?

or has anyone brushed their car by hand? i'm a tight arse, so i'd rather do the whole car by hand rather than pay for a wheel Big Grin lol

i did a little tester with 100 grit wet and dry, then followed it up with 800, and then buffed the shit out of it. Its come out a real cool finish, as you still have the grain, but the top layer is polished... i'm thinking i may do the whole car like this? Big Grin

cheers

Rob
When I bought my car, the previous owner had scraped his driver's door off the garage wall quite a few times. I successfully blended the damage to look much more like the surrounding grain just by using 300 grit sand paper, but varying the pressure applied. Worked ok for a small part but would be tedious to do the whole car, then you have the issue of trying to get continues straight grain right down whole lengths of the different panels, especially the bonnet. For the cost of Chris N to do it properly, I'd just get him to do it. Anyway, make a mess of it yourself and he'll still be able to get it right as long as you don't go too harsh at it...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
i'm not bothered about it taking time, lol, i'm taking the paint off with a stanley knife blade and a bit of heat... which is taking a while :lol:

i did think that trying to get it straight all down the side of the car would be tricky, i guess i could use the rub strips as a guide, but the bonnet will be hard.

i might just engine turn the whole car, ha ha

[Image: ENGINE_TURN_BACK_SPLASH.jpg]
Ha-ha!!! Yeah. ...erm...good luck with that one! Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I think there are few videos on you tube that have been done over the years about re-graining, IIRC there was one once from someone (I think) in Slovakia or that area that had done just the same as your doing (stripped the paint) Also for the bonnet I have seen a bit of 4"x2" used as a guide.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
A guy in FL did it with a belt sander.

Surprisingly, not a great result.
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Quote:A guy in FL did it with a belt sander.

:lol: Also good for DIY tattoo removal :lol:
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:
Quote:A guy in FL did it with a belt sander.

:lol: Also good for DIY tattoo removal :lol:

ok, I'll take your word for that Rich!!!

I think Chris N charged about £350 to rebrush a whole car, that was a while ago now,
not sure if that price is still right nowadays. A rebrush from Chris N is a darn sight cheaper
then a full respray on a 'normal' car anyway Wink
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Smile lol @ belt sander, thats just gonna end in tears.

stripping the paint off the passenger door, the bodyshop that painted it, punched some holes and hammered it in a bit so the filler would stick :S, same on the drivers door under the mirrior. outch.

some pics of where i was up to this morning...

[Image: 941208_10151446912507101_1587862401_n.jpg]

just for fun, i buffed up a section.

[Image: 999345_10151446913212101_1262354412_n.jpg]

[Image: 988664_10151446914447101_1257363923_n.jpg]

i've done some more today with help from my mate, hannah
Just goes to show that MOST painted cars have had some sort of damage, despite what the owners may say.

Having said that, there is nothing that can't be fixed.

Im sure its in competent hands now.

I used chemical paint stripper on mine....."less mess" i think it was called.....but its only relative, it was still a messy job!

At least mine was only clear lacquer , so i could see what was underneath.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
i recon the car wasnt in bad shape before the bodyshop got hold of it.
its has a light skim of filler on most of it,,, probably spray filler, to make the stainless smoother. But where it had a slight dent, they have then hammered, wire wheeled, or punched holes in the bodywork to make the filler stick :S outch :S

i'm still going to go ahead and strip all the paint off, and leave the dents and holes for now, and then fix them while its on the road.

the reason for not using paint stripper, is i've left the seals, and trim on, and i've had reactions on fibreglass too (ont plastic pigs), so i'm doing it the hard way Big Grin at least its good excersizzzze :wink:

i'm thinking, polish the car up, leave the dents, matte black bonnet, and slam it Big Grin
RobScott Wrote:i'm thinking, polish the car up, leave the dents, matte black bonnet, and slam it Big Grin

yeah man, will be proper sick and wicked innit 8)
RobScott Wrote:i'm thinking, polish the car up, leave the dents, matte black bonnet, and slam it Big Grin

I have no idea what on earth you just said there, but it sounds dangerous, and expensive to fix. I'd not do that. :lol:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
lol @ claire Mr Green

rissy, I'm thinking, lower the car, so it scrapes the ground, leave the dents and holes in there for that battered/used look.. but polish the car up so its a little shiny, and paint the bonnet matte black. take the seats out and stick a pair of ally kirky seats in it, for that hardcore 'what the fook has he done to that delorean' look Big Grin

i love having a bit of fun, upsetting the purists, i took my restored leyland national london bus to the manchester transport museum to their anual 'london bus day', and i got people telling me i had vandalised it. lol. just because i rippede out the interior and made it into a house bus Smile

i also upset the karmann ghia lovers, as i have a 65 rhd ghia, i stripped it out, put a 2.0L golf gti motor in it, and raced it Smile
we're gonna have to give you an official role in the Club now Rob,
all in favour of Rob being voted "Official DOC-UK Anorak Basher" say AYE :wink: