Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brushing stainless
ah brilliant, that simple eh! decent. Big Grin
You could try adding a little ( tiny drop) of washing up liquid to act as a surfactant.

At Derby Plating, we had over a 1000 litres of pickling acid, which was about a 20% solution Hydrochloric Acid/ water. It would de-rust most things in about an hour.....but the fumes were HORRIBLE!.

If you forgot to remove the item.....there would be nothing left after 24hrs!
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
thanks for the info chris, i'll try that Smile and see how it goes.

so you used to work for a plating company?

where can i buy stronger acid? Big Grin
Yes Rob, I started the company in 1979 and retired 3 years ago. Its still going strong. http://www.derbyplating.co.uk

Companies have got real funny about letting folk have any bits and bobs.

It all this Elf and Safety stuff gone mad! ....when you keep 1000's of gallons of various acids, caustic soda and Cyanide on site. :evil: ...let alone 8 x 5 HP polishing machines, gas welding stuff....mechanical rolling hoists and transporter...fork lift truck etc. etc...

That's one of the reasons why I packed it in. ....never mind, I get time to play with my DeLorean and go on holiday a fair bit. Could be worse. :lol:
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
only just stumbled across this post, great pics and details Rob and you look to be going down the same route as me with my delorean.

To follow on the brushing the stainless steel, i spoke with my mate who has worked with stainless steel all his life and says he can beat the knocks into shape and regrain it, i showed him the wolfwheel and he says he can use that no problem but are their any other options out there?

He says he has numerous ways of getting that grain look, but i just wondered if anyone has tried it and any feedback?
Any updates on this thread. Love to see how the rat Delorean turned out. 8)