Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best source for poly bushes?
Hi all,

One thing I must do this year is replace the suspension bushes on my car, and I'm wondering what the best source is for enough poly bushes, I don't need the tab bushes or indeed the front roll bar bushes.

I'm hoping this will help the loose feel to the back end of my car which is still noticable despite new tabs and 4wheel alignment.

I'm also thinking about the lower control arm braces that ed sells, but they seem quite pricy.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
You can get most of them direct from Supaflex, or Ed or SpecialT Auto, I have only ever use them on the front LCA. I will leave it for others to comment who have more experience of them, but I thought that the jury was out on the benefits of them for the rear of the car??
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I came really close to going the poly bush route but found from some owners that it makes the car to harsh for road use so I went with OEM replacements from DMCH. If you are dead set on going Poly throughout then Superflex is the way to go as they now have every bush covered:-

http://superflex.co.uk/products.php?cat=111
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
whats the lower controll arm braces look like? i bet i can fab them up no problem.
I get trade price from Superflex and pass the saving on, so my price is cheaper than buying direct. IMO those who suggest they make the ride harsh seem to talk as though the bushes are meant to do the job of the suspension, absorbing bumps and wotnot – they aren’t. The bushes are there to isolate the high frequency audible vibrations at the wheels from the body – aka road noise. The snag is that in the process, they add uncontrolled “slop” into suspension and steering linkages. PU bushes (which are working as plain bearings) have a considerably higher shore hardness than OEM vulcanised rubber. This means they don’t damp out quite a much road noise but do noticeably improve the handling of the car in the process. In my experience, well placed sound deadening in the cockpit more than makes up for the difference, though most people don’t even notice there was ever a change.

So why don’t manufacturers use PU? Answer: Some do. Alpine did in the GTA and A610. Most don’t because a rubber bush is maintenance free and cheaper.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:I get trade price from Superflex and pass the saving on, so my price is cheaper than buying direct. IMO those who suggest they make the ride harsh seem to talk as though the bushes are meant to do the job of the suspension, absorbing bumps and wotnot – they aren’t. The bushes are there to isolate the high frequency audible vibrations at the wheels from the body – aka road noise. The snag is that in the process, they add uncontrolled “slop” into suspension and steering linkages. PU bushes (which are working as plain bearings) have a considerably higher shore hardness than OEM vulcanised rubber. This means they don’t damp out quite a much road noise but do noticeably improve the handling of the car in the process. In my experience, well placed sound deadening in the cockpit more than makes up for the difference, though most people don’t even notice there was ever a change.

So why don’t manufacturers use PU? Answer: Some do. Alpine did in the GTA and A610. Most don’t because a rubber bush is maintenance free and cheaper.

Thanks Martin, I best get saving, especially as I still need a set of window motors, I recon I could sink a few thousand on my car to get it a little more polished...

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Are you suggesting that Polybushes are not maintance free?

Can the Delorean, although under-powered, become a nice drivers car?
If so, how?........
Lowered Springs.
Poly bushed.
Lower control arm braced.
What else??????
Polybushes require grease, and anyone who says otherwise is inviting them to last nowhere near as long as they would do with grease. There are greases which should last the life of the polybush

The DeLorean is a great drivers car as originally supplied but with new front springs. Unfortunately after 30+ years a lot of other subsystems need attention - brakes, tyres, shocks, steering knuckles, steering rack, sound deadening, rock hard seat leather, air conditioning, stiff clutch etc.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I have bought my poly bushes through Martin this year. I'm only doing the front of my car this year, even though I have the full set for the whole car, and I'm starting to press in these tomorrow night. I'll be doing so with some poly bush grease also from Martin upon pressing them into the control arms as well as fitting.

I look forward to feeling the difference to my ride even with only half the car upgraded.

(Thanks Martin Big Grin )
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Be very interested in your verdict.
Although you maybe slightly biased after all that work. When I do an oil change, I'm sure I can feel the improvement!! :lol:
Having done polybushes all round this winter I can say it feels real nice. I was worried about the ride being too harsh as that is what a lot of comments had said, but I was convinced to give it a go anyway (other than the Radius-arm bushes) and what an improvement.

I would definitely recommend it, especially if like on my car your rubber bushes were 30 years old and de laminating from the metal sleeves!
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Can you get up-rated anti-roll bars? Worth fitting?