Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front Speakers - Replacements
I'm considering replacing the fronts as the sound is not to my satisfaction. I have not checked what I have currently.

I have read somewhere that they are 4.5" speakers, really small compared to what is on the market.

Any suggestions what to replace them with? Want to replace the same ones, so no alterations like footwell speakers or splits with tweeters on the a-pillars.

I have looked at my local Car Audio suppliers, but they don't have anything off the shelve at that size. So I may have to look online for them.
VIN:01955
==========================
Simon
I went with TTait's recommendation from DMCTalk when I replaced my speakers, and bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 329CF for the front, and a pair Infinity Kappa 529i for the rear, with new speaker cable for good measure.

Awesome sound as far as I'm concerned.

3.5" is the OEM size for the front (The 329CF is 3.5"), some folks have gone up to 4" which offers a wider selection, however I believe that involves affixing the speaker to the dash with a combination of the existing lugs, and a self tapping screw.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:I went with TTait's recommendation from DMCTalk when I replaced my speakers, and bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 329CF for the front, and a pair Infinity Kappa 529i for the rear, with new speaker cable for good measure.

I used these as well, plus a subwoofer in the cubbyhole. A super high end setup would probably be wasred in an older sports car with lots of wind and road noise (compared to a modern luxury car).
I went with some Blaupunkt GTx352SC at about £30. They're quite punchy little midrange units.

They needed some short spacers to extend the stud mountings under the dash as the integrated tweeter stands proud by about 15mm.

The problem is whatever you get will sound tinny and cheap because the dashboard speakers are in free air. :roll:
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
MikeWard Wrote:I went with TTait's recommendation from DMCTalk when I replaced my speakers, and bought a pair of Infinity Kappa 329CF for the front, and a pair Infinity Kappa 529i for the rear, with new speaker cable for good measure.

Awesome sound as far as I'm concerned.

3.5" is the OEM size for the front (The 329CF is 3.5"), some folks have gone up to 4" which offers a wider selection, however I believe that involves affixing the speaker to the dash with a combination of the existing lugs, and a self tapping screw.

Yes, correction, it was 3.5", got my numbers wrong.

I remember James Taits recommendation for these speakers on the other forum, but they are cheap in the US, but here in OZ, they are bloody expensive. Hence why I'm asking to see what others are using that are finding their speakers decent enough.

Might have to troll the net and find the cheapest pair.
VIN:01955
==========================
Simon
I fitted these on my last car: 'JBL GTO326e' SPEAKERS 75W 3.5 INCH don't remember if there was any issues fitting them, I 'think' I may have had to bend the tags a bit to get them to fit, but they were very good speakers (well for the size) heres the old thread on them: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584