Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conors Frame off Restoration
As posted on delorean.ie ..... Hats off to Conor and Ed Uding for sorting this D out and keeping it on the road.

http://www.delorean.ie/Conor2007.html

http://www.delorean.ie/ed_uding2.html
wow, great work there!!

Is that the car that was for sale in London - just wondering, cos didnt that have a red interior?????

Well done everyone involved! Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Claire Usher Wrote:Is that the car that was for sale in London - just wondering, cos didnt that have a red interior?????

Yes, that car was in SW london for a number of years. The engine was a brand new one and installed in the early 90's as the engine was not in the car when it was brought over from Kuwait. It was never registered in the UK tho Carl said he had all the paper work.

I saw the car a few times and needed a LOT of work, Carl ( the then owner) did have some spares for it, including more material / leather left over when the interior was redone.

[Image: reduced.jpg]

Have got several other pics of the car if Connor is intrested.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Hi Chris,
You are right it is the car from London. I bought it off a car ealer in the North of Ireland, but the previous owner was Carl.
I would be very interested in any photos you may have, and also any information / history of the car. I knew the engine was a good 'un when I got her started before buying her, but only found out that it was a new replacement after talking to Dave Howarth about a month ago. Dave seems to think that there is a preproduction or very early passanger door fitted to the car. I sent photos but have heard nothing back.
Anyway I am very interested in any information you may have.

Conor
Conor Doyle
DOC 519
VIN 10447 & 1866
Hi Conor,

Dave Howarth has an email address but unless he has changed his mind recently, he still doesn't check it. Dave does have a fax machine though if you want to fax him the images (if they will work well in B&W) then you could do that or see if there is someone he can see locally that will be able to dowloand the images for you.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Conor Doyle Wrote:I would be very interested in any photos you may have, and also any information / history of the car. I knew the engine was a good 'un when I

Hi Conor

If you PM me your email addy I will send over the pics.

Its great to see the pics of the restoration, thanks for sharing those. Out of intrest did you get any of the spares or material / leather with the car? I know Carl did sell quite a lot of the items on ebay when he sold the car. I did put Chris N in contact with him as Carl considered getting PJ Grady to restore the car. Dave mentioned to me about the early door on the car and I know for a fact Carl had another very early door.(the door inners where mild steel), infact got some pics of the door complete with rust.

I know the car was brought back to the UK, from Kuwait, by a pilot by the name of Stephen Carrington in the early 90's. The car was missing the engine but Carl brought the car, via, and NOS engine from the then parts supplier in the UK. The car was also missing the front grill as it was stolen from the car while parked on Carl's drive.

I know Carl wanted a lot of money for the car considering its condition. I never saw the car running as the battery was flat and he tried jumping it but still never started tho he claimed it worked fine.
Chris Spratt

1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Spoke to Ed Uding on the phone today and he told me that the frame was finished!!

It will be ready for shipping back to Ireland next week Shock

That guy really does amaze me with his work.
Alistair McCann
Northern Ireland
1981 Delorean #Vin Pilot 25
1989 Renault Alpine GTA Atmo.
Interesting colorcombination. Are there pictures of this car in the 'normal', old condition? (before restoration) I've never seen this combination before ...
If you're gonna build a timemachine, why not do it with style !
http://www.deloreanclubbelgium.eu
Hi Chris,
I got some spare vinyl with the car, I purchased some of the spare parts from Carl through e-bay.

I bought the car from a dealer in the north of Ireland, not directly from Carl. The guy I bought it off, told me, that he paid "£10,000+" for the car. he didn't disclose the exact figure.

I didn't pay anything like that amount for the car, I made a deal with him fo much much less. The car was not running when I saw it either, he promised me that it was a runner and that he had driven it only 2 days before I saw it. Obviously I would not buy a car that was not running, the problem was the earth strap, after reconnecting it and changing the oil and fuel the car started.
He convinced me that the rust was only superficial but on further inspection at home I found frame rot that you see in the restoration photos.

Do you have any idea what mileage is on this "new" engine?

I have changed the interior colour to Black and Charcoal Grey. I will refit the interior after I replace the channel section under the T-piece. This area is also completly rusted out. I have new SS replacement parts for here.

I have Pm you my e-mail address for those photos.

Conor
Conor Doyle
DOC 519
VIN 10447 & 1866
Hi Conor

I remember the Ebay auction and I cant remember the exact amount the car sold for but as you say it was over £10k.

I don't know how many miles are on the engine..as far as I know it was a brand new engine when Carl brought it and as Carl never resisted the car then I assume not a lot. Did you get all the customs documents with the car so you can register it?

I have found a pic of the early door Carl had and sold on ebay. You can see the rust on the inside

[Image: earlydoor.jpg]
Chris Spratt

1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the photos, always interesting to find any history on the car. Looks like the car was not put together properly when Carl had it. I see the drivers window is out of it, this explains the rust I have found on the inside under the dash (nuts, Bolts, steering column, pedal box etc)

I have registered the car in my name over here, Quite tricky as there was only a copy of the origional tax book. It took a lot of friendly persuasion in the Vehicle registration office.
I found the MOT cert is shows the mileage as 20,721 now there is 20,850 the speedo was working before I started to dismantle the car. this suggests that there is very low mileage on the car indeed.

Many thanks,

Conor
Conor Doyle
DOC 519
VIN 10447 & 1866