Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I lost an important bolt -- who knows which size it is?
I recently changed the alternator belt, which involved removing the air-con belt. To make that easier I just took the bracket with the adjusting pulley off entirely. Unfortunately I lost one of the two bolts holding it on (stupid), and then I realised that it also, for some reason, holds on an important cap thing over a hole in the engine. Since I don't want all my engine oil flying out I replaced it with the one remaining bolt, and a wedge of wood at the other end to stop it moving.

Now I need to find another, but I really have no idea what the size of the bolt is, otherwise I'd just buy another from B&Q. Can anyone help me out here? All I know is that the size of the socket I used to remove it was 11mm.

While I'm at it -- what's the point of that cap thing anyway?
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152
Hi

Another one of you putting the bolt in a safe place Wink

http://delorean.com/dmcstore/ViewPage.asp?PageID=84 item 4 m7 x 30 Part # SP10048

I bought a cheap metric tap and die set, these have a guage for thread pitch and with the dies you can see what the bolt sizes are a bit easier.

I tend to use these to clean up bolts before i reuse any.

Dont over tighten the bolts when you put them back on.

The blanking plate shoul have an o ring on the back . I used a bead of silicone on the back of mine to seal the 'oil' in.

not sure on a standard Volvo where this oil pasage goes to now ... forgotten

[Image: 2057.jpg]
I think it's an M7. It's not a popular size and you may find it hard to get in B&Q.

Dan
(got a spare one if you cant get one locally)
Right, I'll have a nose around, thanks. Losing it actually involved driving the car a few hundred miles without remembering to do it up properly -- not one of my cleverest moments.

Alternator belt certainly doesn't squeak any more though. :)
Rob Williams
DOC 475
VIN 17152