Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imported project car in Kent
its amazing that a car with such low miles can be in such a bad state - I bought mine as a shed,
but it had twice that mileage on it.

Good luck with the project, if you need any advice or help ref parts or mechanicals, just holler on
the appropriate forum section and someone will be able to help no doubt.

At least in Kent you're not too far away from people like PJ Grady who will be able to sort that ding
for you.

How bad is the chassis? Is it badly rotten or just scabby in places?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Well after a long day yesterday myself and my father finally have the car at my place.
I took a little while and took out all the bits of trim that were sat inside the car. Only one door opens, and that only via the inside, I understand why it has a broken window now!
I think first is to dismantle the doors and get the locks fixed and working so I can make the car properly secure.
I thought that considering the condition of the car it would've been round the clock, but I found the original receipt and then a declaration from 1989 saying the car hadn't been used for a long time, so it may have indeed been stored all this time. Also, in the trunk was a full A4 Workshop Manual and Service & Technical Bulletin manual which was handy, plus the original owners manual under the seat.
After that I think it's time to get under the car and have a good look at the frame. I believe the frame is bad to say the least, I seriously hope it doesn't need welding too.
Original receipt
I have a spare window, its badly scratched but serviceable, which side is broken? I will have to check which side I have...after a dig in the loft!

Good luck with the rest of it.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Is that really the buyers name: Bjorn Lusty, Think I may have seen that name on a DVD I have somewhere :oops:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Yes, I'm thinking I've heard of his work too!!
Thank you Chris, I should've got on here earlier as I bought one a few weeks ago from delorean Europe as I was concerned about leaving it out for any amount of time without one. Thanks for the offer though.
I know you've mentioned frame off - Might be tempted to remove the triangular plate under the fuel tank and look at the origins of the rust there. Few bob says leaking brake master cyl, at some point in the cars history, has dribbled fluid down inside there and eaten away at the top side of the plate and made a start on the NSF chassis rail. I expect you will find that's the origins of some of the rust in the pic of the underside.

New fuel tank plates available from ed for about 200 euros in stainless.... I have replaced mine which looked fine from underneath but which when examined from the top was "like an effing tea bag" !!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Hi.
That does seem like a good idea, and very likely too as when I took the panel off from in the trunk you can see that mice/rats have eaten through the brake fluid reservoir. Now I am getting more panels off there seem to be chewed wires all around the car which is a headache. I can't really afford to buy all the wiring looms so I think it's going to have to be one of those very long jobs with replacing wires and lots of multimeter testing. I was thinking of replacing the fuse box but after seeing it finally and realising how melted it it, I think I'm going to have to spend a good few hours/days/months on that!
Quote:you can see that mice/rats have eaten through the brake fluid reservoir.
Crikey! However Mice do seem to love DeLoreans for some reason, watch out for snakes as well! Hopefully it wont be to bad once you start working on it properly. Get as many of the parts out you can to see what your doing, even the seats are only held in by 4 nuts and really opens things up a bit.
Chris
Just to add, iff you do need some of the wiring there is a seller in the US breaking a D and selling off lots of bits on Ebay. He has most of the wiring looms listed at the moment fairly cheap. May be an easier option?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-rear-e ... 143wt_1141
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
That's a great idea, I'll check it out now.
Regarding the seats, I have found the nuts hard to get to. The runners are rusted together so I'm having great issues in getting them out. I know I should probably put this on another thread, but any ideas on getting them out? I keep bathing them in penetrating grease, hopefully they will budge a little. Just to add to that, the passenger side bar that you lift to move the seat is rusted through on one side so I can't even lift them up!
Just in case your not trying to do it this way, the seats and runners all lift out as one unit. Look underneath the car there are 4 nuts that hold the whole lot in to the car. Look after the runners as well in short supply.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Aaah, underneath you say. I didn't have a chance to look for long so that's something I can look at next week when I get back into it again. I'm going to try to look after the whole mechanism but I'm concerned that its too far gone. We shall see!
Looks like this will be an epic restoration.

I have some surplus bits you might be interested in; grey leather seat covers, stainless coil cover, stainless coolant bottle. Bought them new but it turned out easier to make custom ones for my car (due to engine bay layout changes). Also have a spare door lock controller (new old stock; ordered it but later replaced it with a digital one).
Sounds good, I'll PM you, if you can on here!
Dash is coming apart ok but hard work. Mainly mouse bedding behind it.