Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking Brake Mounting Bracket
So I've had some issues with my parking brake after an (otherwise) excellent drive up to Scotland. On inspection of the mounting bracket for the brake handle, I notice that it was bent and distorted at the end the cables pass through to the lever mechanism.

After a bit of a read on here I found that this is a somewhat known issue and can be resolved by straightening and reinforcing the mounting bracket...however on taking out my drivers seat and removing the mounting bracket I have found it to be very rusted and cracked in places.

Looking on vendor sites it seems you cannot buy the mounting bracket (108579) as NOS, only a complete parking brake assembly at nearly $200! I'm wondering if anyone on here has had to replace theirs and perhaps can hint at an appropriate X-Ref component?
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
....i think it's a fear of making one yourself, or getting one made, on this particular note. You could always try drilling and tapping and bracing reinforcement plates of similar material around the damaged areas, and then painting it up to protect it better for the future. I had, like so many others as you've suggested, the same issue, but managed to bend it back into a more original shape again. I think this process in itself has hardened the metal further, since i've never had a bending issue since...although at this point I should also state that the performance of my handbrake is still in question right now, but upon a fully force pull of the lever, the plate seems to be strong now....
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Does the bracket come with the assembly anyway?? I thought these were all gone (could be wrong, often am :roll: ) I know I had to weld up cracks in an old one once.
chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Having got the full handbrake handle assembly out of the car today I've also found the inner yoke has been warped where it holds the top cable. So it looks like I need to replace the yoke, then clean the rust on the mount and weld the cracks and re-enforce.

Looking online the pictures from DMCH show the full assembly comes with the mounting bracket, but whether that is actually the case I'm not sure. I'll have a go at repairing what I have first.
DOC 757
Chris Williams Wrote:Does the bracket come with the assembly anyway?? I thought these were all gone (could be wrong, often am :roll: )

You're not alone Chris. This was my impression too.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I was able to weld / bend and fix the bracket back to being pretty damn solid! Though in the process of loosening the brake cables to remove the assembly it became obvious that the RHS brake cable had been incorrectly fed to the brake itself. It was chaffing against the frame and twisted near the brake, causing the outer cable to have torn and some obvious signs of corrosion are present.

So looks like the continuation of "Fix one thing, find another problem" continues!
DOC 757
I had the same problem on my car, so when I was replacing the handbrake cables and pads etc, I straightened the bracket were the cables entered and welded 2 large diameter washers ( off a mk4 Cortina axle!), one edge ground down to make like a figure 8 on its side. Great brake action, only adjustment required before the mot (just in case) and that was coming up to 10 years ago.
The handbrakes not the best, but careful adjustment and maintenance keeps it in good working order. 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!