Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life on the Driveway
Hi again guys,

Still coming up with new questions/topics Smile

I was just looking through the "Thought's of a potential Delorean owner" thread which has some really useful comments and was particularly interested in the driveway vs garage debate.

If I do manage to get a Delorean in the future, it will almost certainly have to be kept on an open Driveway. In other words it will be totally visible to people walking/driving by and there is no lockable gates. This is a little more exposed than is ideal unfortunately but I don't think I will have any choice other than hiring a garage which will then be well out of sight. Kinda scary when you consider how rare and attention seeking these cars are.

Anyway, would you be worried about keeping your Delorean on an exposed driveway like this? Both in terms of security and the weather we tend to get in this country? What would you do to reduce the risks and stop slow deterioration?...how much worse is deterioration in these conditions and what to look out for?

Any thoughts?
I keep my DeLorean on the drive, right on the main road.

Security is always a concern, no matter where you keep a D, but there are plenty of after market security devices out there.

When I first got the D, I kept it under a cover, mainly because everything leaked, doors didn't close properly and it was missing windows. It helped a little with keeping it hidden away, but encouraged people to pull the cover up to take a look - and the harder you tie it down, the harder they tug at it!

These days I leave it uncovered since most people in the area are used to seeing it on the drive. It's become a bit of a local landmark in fact :roll:

The biggest pain is keeping it clean for shows, although I have noticed the more it gets rained on, the better the stainless looks and if you've got any leaks, you soon know about them!

The best thing is I can go for a drive rain or shine without having palpitations (mentioning no names!)
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
*cough*chassis-rust*cough*
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
You could get one of those bubble car covers, although they're expensive;

[Image: CA29130.jpg]

Or just a clear conventional cover, much cheaper and still lets people see what's under there. Don't think sun-bleaching will be much of a problem with UK weather.
ask your local friendly farmer if you can rent a building off him.

thats what i do, and i have all my cars stored in it... the security is two guard dogs, and a london bus inside the garage blocking the doors.... so if any theives get past that lot they deserve to steal the cars, lol.
Remember though, check what's above your head! Asbestos sheets drop bits that are not good for your Stainless Steel! I think a fair few club members keep the cars on the driveway, dont think anyone has had any problems...yet! Suppose it depends on where you live and amount of people passing your drive.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
stunned_monkey Wrote:*cough*chassis-rust*cough*

Pfft. Can't say I've seen any deterioration since I bought mine. Tongue
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Yeah I can certainly see how it could become a bit of an obsession keeping it safe...hard to get a good balance I guess.

Don't know about that carcoon thing though...lol....it does look pretty good in terms of functionality but it really would be like paining a big red target on the car......I think vandals would be even more tempted Sad
Yes, the temptation to pop that Carcoon cover thing would be to great for some I fear.

A friend of mine with a nice E30 M3 had the same issue, no garage but a nice big drive way. He was looking to buy one of those fibre glass classic car transporters (minus the wheels of course) and leave that on the drive. Then that that would give total protection to yor pride and joy, and keep it concealed from prying eyes. An expensive option though I fear.

Maybe just seek out a garage to rent in your local area. It'll probably cost £10/20 a week. But worth it for the peace of mind.

Steve
Stephen Partt
Bristol
Carcoon's are great, but as has been mentioned it would think it would be more of a target than just a car on the drive, Other option get a security camera with HDD recording pointed at it, there are some great cheap systems on Ebay and the like. A couple of small cameras pointing at your drive will put most people off.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I have a carport for mine beside the house, behind some locked gates - keeps it at home under my eye but out of the worst of the weather. Also provides useful dry semi-secure working space.

And when anybody engages me in conversation they always refer to the house with the Delorean on the drive locally (RichH, local landmark about 10 miles from where me!)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:And when anybody engages me in conversation they always refer to the house with the Delorean on the drive locally (RichH, local landmark about 10 miles from where me!)
Time to go and do a 'parts raid' me thinks :wink:
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:And when anybody engages me in conversation they always refer to the house with the Delorean on the drive locally (RichH, local landmark about 10 miles from where me!)
Time to go and do a 'parts raid' me thinks :wink:
Chris

I'm needing some parts too! This is only a short drive from Rugby. I could do that too! Certainly quicker and cheaper than buying from Holland, and certainly the States! ...We could do an arranged parts gathering meet! Might come in useful before Yorkshire! ...as long as there is no squabbling over commonly sought after parts. We may have to play Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spoke for those ones... :wink:

...so when is it Rich H is at work?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
PMSL at you lot, I only live 4 miles from RichH, and often get asked "is yours the car on **** Road in ****?"

"no..........." rolls eyes at them - although I do enjoy driving past RichH's in mine, and watching folks behind do
a double take at one on the road and one on the drive lol

Mine, when in Stevenage, often would live out on the road, with the only bother, if you can call it that, being some
local kids wiping some snow off to throw snowballs at each other - and a couple of the neighbours causing trouble due
to us having more cars then would fit on our driveway - or friends with cars visiting, meaning we'd take over the bit of
road outside our house - Martin G and Chris Hawes will remember this.....

TBH, apart from curious passers by, some who will stop for a chat if we're on the driveway with the cars, we dont get
any bother, although after our neighbours were burgled 2 months ago, we have now installed a 4 camera CCTV system
round the outside of our property, it was on offer in Makro at £169+vat the other week (Swann system with wifi, 500gb
hard drive, infra red, etc) - the same system in in Maplin at £350 !! We've also got new security lights, but tbh, we dont
get any problems, its just a precaution though with a recent spate of burglaries in the village.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Quote:PMSL at you lot, I only live 4 miles from RichH, and often get asked "is yours the car on **** Road in ****?"
So......... what your saying is that it will have to be a 3 way split then? there are only two doors mind!
Quote:its just a precaution though with a recent spate of burglaries in the village
that's because you live in ................ 'Robbin' Hood country................ yes I know, Groan
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584