Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passenger Side Sidelights Not Functioning
For every thing I fix, something else gets broken -_-

Got the tape out my radio by removing the center console and dismantling the tape deck. Putting back in the radio and I accidentally knocked the headlight switch connector out. Upon plugging it back in, I know have a really bizarre issue;
  • When using sidelights, only the Drivers Side illuminates (both headlamp and indicators)
  • When using dipped beams, both sides illuminate
  • When using full beams, both sides illuminate
  • When using indicators on any setting, both sides work as expected (same with hazards)
  • On all settings the actual button on the center console does not light up at all

I have the original physical switch, but according to documentation that came with the car the connector has been upgraded to avoid the overheating issue.

Based on the symptoms I believe the bulbs are good and I must have somehow shorted/broken a connection? Any obvious places to start or wiring diagrams I can use to aid in my searches with a multimeter?

As a side note, when using the remote keyless entry it flashes the sidelights, and only the drivers side illuminates then too.
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
There is an earth on the a/c panel where several accessories are connected... I would start there.

I had all my centre console out for 4 months recently and half the passenger side dashboard and luckily enough I had no electrical issues whatsover with exception to a blown dashboard bulb I assumed to be something I disturbed.

It could be internal to the switch, might be the way the rheostat has been reconnected or check all the fuses..Fuse 8 controls the things you mention are not working.... I would say youve disturbed something. My switches only illuminate when sidelights or headlights are on anyway.. you could have a bulb out in the switch.

But the update for the melting of the headlight switch could be the scotchloc type.... these can be an electrical headache too...

Might be sending you up the garden path but double check everything!

Ben
Hear is good reference for the wiring diagram: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?17-DM ... ng-diagram. If you can get this printed out A3 size it's a good reference, if not i think I have some somewhere. I would work backwards from what you have done and see whats there especially the 'upgraded' switch as I understand there are different types.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thanks Chaps! I'll be taking a better look at this tomorrow armed with the wiring diagram plus going through all the notes I got with the car I believe I found the lighting modification the previous owner conducted. Sadly it is of the scotch-lock variety, but at least I know have a good idea of what he was doing.

Some patience and a multi-meter and I'll hopefully get things sorted.
DOC 757
If you haven't already done so mate, check your fuses first....
If you have had the console out and any of the wiring under there has shorted, then it would have popped number 8 and caused the symptoms you mentioned.... you may wonder why your one sidelight doesnt work yet it does with the main headlights on... it shouldn't in theory but it might have something to to with that switch melt gizmo which may bypass the fuse in the 2nd position or may have shorted. Mine is scotch locked in too so its not unusual.

I found in my early delorean ownership that niggles were generally simpler than I thought. I had a blown fuse from the door lights and accidently pulled a second fuse which killed the indicators on the first day I had mine... I found it all out the next day but I thought the world had ended yet it was simple.... lol

Good luck...
Woot! Fuse 8 had indeed blown, and replacing it has resolved my issues! I can finally but the center console back in!

Thanks for the advice, and the wiring diagram! I'll be printing that off for the Garage for when I no doubt have more trouble in the future.
DOC 757
Wicked! Glad it was an easy fix.... Do you want to come over and do my drive shaft boots? ;-)

Incidently, did you repair your cassette deck completely, or just remove the cassette so the radio can be used?
I removed the casette and put the tape mechanism back together as best I could, but I'm afraid to test it with a tape lest I get stuck where I was again.

The deck was working with the tape in there, just upon ejection the tape got stuck...
DOC 757