Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 4494 - UK Legal and on the road!
Picked 4494 up from Chris N today as he had finished the transmission work I required and finally got the registration and plates through for the car. What a blast driving back from Canvey Island to Leamington Spa!

Though in true DeLorean fashion, I got my first troubles on the journey too!

[*]Radio Antenna snapped off the car on the M40! Had to pull over and disconnect what was left of it to stop it scratching the stainless.
[*]Car doesn't enjoy hot starts at all! Takes about 3-5 attempts to start from hot, or some time to cool down
[*]After starting from hot, the idle RPM can be all over the place! It went as high as 2000 RPM and stuck there.

So it's great to have the car and have got her home in one piece (minus antenna), but time to get my hands dirty it seems!
VIN 4494, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 757
Quote:[*]Radio Antenna snapped off the car on the M40! Had to pull over and disconnect what was left of it to stop it scratching the stainless.
[*]Car doesn't enjoy hot starts at all! Takes about 3-5 attempts to start from hot, or some time to cool down
[*]After starting from hot, the idle RPM can be all over the place! It went as high as 2000 RPM and stuck there.
Unlucky with the antenna usually they are fairly strong, should be able to get a new one fairly easily.
Probably best to find out what ChrisN has replaced/fixed first before anyone makes suggestions for the hot start and RPM issues.
Good luck with the car i'm sure you will enjoy it.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Just out of interest where is/was your radio ariel fitted?

I think I have an original black one spare...minus the wire, that was fitted on vin 510, Chris welded up the hole in the wing.....invisibly.

I am as we speak, I am re-fitting a new ariel on the roof, near the top of the screen..."Euro-Style".....as it had already been drilled by the previous owner. ( and I like them there)
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Antenna was a automatic rear fender antenna. Looks like the inner cable gave and then got caught inside, battering the outer cover across the car. Motor appears to be working fine though, since I still hear it moving when I turn on the radio.

Also found out the car has a CD Changer installed in the storage compartment! That's one the seller left out in his description, but I can't test it works thanks to the tape being jammed in the stereo.

As for the hot start, spoken with ChrisN and he's suggested I need to replace the fuel accumulator. Will need to get that ordered and see!
DOC 757
...and I just fired up the engine to check her out after a nights rest and I have a fuel leak with the pump going! I thought April fools was at the beginning of the week... :roll:
DOC 757
You know I had completely forgotten that they were fitted in the rear wing!! None of my cars ever had one there.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
What area is your fuel leak from buddy?

You cant take any chances with fuel leaks....

I have a rear mounted antenna in the rear vent too and good advice for your new one is to keep it lubricated.

Glad you are up and running though ;-)
I've posted in the help section; leak is from a split in the fuel line from the fuel pump to the accumulator. I was able to crawl under the car when it was on ramps and get a good peek at it.

Pretty confident about fitting the new hose, but a little worried about removing the old one. So many different opinions on the best way to do it!
DOC 757
You know its funny... i had my car up on a 4 poster ramp today changing the oil and i was looking at the cubby hole in which the accumulator sits. Even up there it looks a pig of a job and I have attempted some tricky delorean work in the last 7 years!

Cant give you any advice with it buddy but good luck with it...

I may be wrong but I dont remember any access from the top with the console out... I had mine out recently and didnt notice any plates on top that could have exposed access to that area ?

May be worth researching it!
Fuel hose fixed also lead to resolving my hot-start issue! Which aint too much of a surprise, being that with a leak the fuel system was obviously not running optimally.

Gave her a good test run after the fix and all seems good!
DOC 757
great stuff, glad it was an easy fix for you Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Good work. Looking forward to seeing the car marauding the streets of Leamington! Big Grin
1982 DeLorean VIN 12173 (a.k.a VIN 601)
1989 Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
It's been a summer of ups and downs working on the car, but had a cracking weekend of driving in the Cotswolds this weekend with only one minor issue (engine cover latch bolts came loosened thanks to some gnarly road surfaces!).

Decided to finally do a purely cosmetic upgrade since I'd had a break from needing to fix things Big Grin

[Image: 1293010_586573023695_1739340923_o.jpg]
DOC 757
It really is great to turn a car from a "project", sitting in the garage demanding work....to a living thing, that you can jump into and take for a spin whenever you want to. After all these years, I still get the same great thrill that I did when I had my very first drive of one.

My car needs loads of finishing off and tiding up, which I will get stuck into over the winter.

In the meantime I often pop out in it.....just for a little ride.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
car's looking great James, love the rear numberplate Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie