Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fluorescent clock on its way out
Hi folks, my fluorescent dashboard clock seems not to have survived hibernation - no display in the hours section, only in the minutes section!

Does this sound fixable, or should I keep my eyes peeled for a new one? Cheers all, Rich H
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Hi folks, my fluorescent dashboard clock seems not to have survived hibernation - no display in the hours section, only in the minutes section!

Does this sound fixable, or should I keep my eyes peeled for a new one? Cheers all, Rich H

Fix it, fix it, fix it! :lol:

One of my pet projects last summer was to get mine working again. There is a HUGE thread all about the clock as a result. Myself and NickH were the biggest contributors to this thread. I've listed all the parts you need there, and I have put up lots of photos of mine in bits! Just one word. Be VERY careful not to break the vacuum seal on the vacuum display, otherwise GAME-OVER!

Your issue might be something as simple as dry joints on the one or more of the soldered joins in the circuitry, or the chip itself is needing to be required. These ARE replaceable, with a bit of a search, at a cost of around £25. Trying to find a full on working original replacement to the whole clock, is near impossible these days. There have been modern equivalents people have put together too though, and this is also mentioned in the same thread...

See here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3294
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Brilliant, cheers Rissy - you have been busy, that's very comprehensive! Perhaps mine was the one which died when your got fixed...

Will have a look.

Side marker lights have also failed to survive hibernation, new bulb-holders and gaskets on their was from DMC.eu.!

R
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Probably a bad joint on the driver IC. Have a check over the PCB, it should be easy to spot.

Quote:and gaskets on their was from DMC.eu

Bugger, if I'd known I'd have got you to order four more for me too...
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
About 6Euro's each, and definitely worth having I'd say. Weather has got in mine and turned my bulb-holders into balls of rust!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Quote:Quote:

and gaskets on their was from DMC.eu

Bugger, if I'd known I'd have got you to order four more for me too...
mmm, must be the time of year, I had 4 delivered along with other stuff last week!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Hey, the hours have come back all by themselves. Funny things happen to time in these motors...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Hey, the hours have come back all by themselves. Funny things happen to time in these motors...

It wont last. They'll go away again. Just a matter of ..........time. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)