Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear Tyres, and other musings...
Be interesting to learn when they were made.

They might never have been used, but if they're 10 years old (for instance) then they'll still be going hard and brittle.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I saw those pirellis p600's on eBay, took a while for the chap to get back to me when I asked him about the date of manufacture, it turns out they were manufactured sometime 'before 2000 for the Australian market'

So not only are they *at least* 15 years old, they may not even be the same compound if they were intended for use in Australia (that's complete speculation of course)

My advice would be approach with caution, after all if your buying new tyres with increased safety in mind then these probably aren't for you. A new set of General's are probably a smarter choice, General's might be referred to as a tyre for SUV's but SUV's still need to stop when you stand on the breaks and go around corners.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
They have been sold..not sure who to, but not me.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/g...-98t-28888

Pretty damn good price if this is right £67.29/tyre for self fit.

Interestingly they have the same wet grip, fuel efficiency rating as P600's and a better noise rating.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/g...-98t-28888

Interestingly they have the same wet grip, fuel efficiency rating as P600's and a better noise rating.

James

I've talked to people who have these (can't remember who now. I think one of the Eurotec boys) and apparently at low speed, you can fell the bumpiness of the tread on them, and once at high speed, quite a bit of road noise when compared to a tyre intended for a car rather than an off-road vehicle. For someone like me, who does mostly motorway mileage, this immediately put me off. Not just for fuel efficiency, but also, can you imagine 6 or more hours of constant vibration and road humming whilst travelling up and down that M6 for the next 8-10yrs! No thanks.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Rissy Wrote:
JamesRGUK Wrote:https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/g...-98t-28888

James

I've talked to people who have these (can't remember who now. I think one of the Eurotec boys) and apparently at low speed, you can fell the bumpiness of the tread on them, and once at high speed, quite a bit of road noise when compared to a tyre intended for a car rather than an off-road vehicle. For someone like me, who does mostly motorway mileage, this immediately put me off. Not just for fuel efficiency, but also, can you imagine 6 or more hours of constant vibration and road humming whilst travelling up and down that M6 for the next 8-10yrs! No thanks.

Just so we are 100% comparing apples with apples, are you certain you are not confusing these with the previously available tyre option from General which was the General XP2000 (I currently have these and they definitely have quite a rugged 4x4 tread pattern).

The General Gabbers, which I saw on two cars when we met at Basildon for the BTTF event, have a tread pattern more in common with Pirelli less knobbly and more swooping slashes (not a very technical description I know) and the official rating for the Grabbers shows them as quieter running that Pirelli P600 and the same fuel efficiency and wet grip rating as the P600's.

James

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
GENERAL GRABBER HP

http://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/g ... e=11170648
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
If you're looking for a much cheaper solution, and you're not fussed on keeping with original dimensions, you could always step down the width by 10mm and go for 225/60/15R instead.

There's plenty of cheaper options at that size:

http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres ... wintertyre

It's probably the way I'd go (and was in fact threatening to go before I saw the last two with black circles at the price I got them for - still much more than the 225's of course)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):