Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A mixed bag of problems.......
great work there Ben, I'll think I'll send my car down to you to sort out it non existent
heater and the blower issues :wink:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
If im successful with this then i will be a very happy bunny! ;-)
and deservedly so, its been good watching you get more confident in
'getting stuck in' with work on your De these last few years Smile
Guinney1971 Wrote:and deservedly so, its been good watching you get more confident in
'getting stuck in' with work on your De these last few years Smile

I have the attitude now that its the only way.... a lot of the car is remarkably simple considering it was so futuristic for its day. Gonna try and have that radiator out this weekend... isnt that something youve done? ;-)

With all the little jobs im tackling at the moment, im wondering weather or not to have the body off and do that frame....with the evaporator and matrix disconnected, its partly the way there...

Steering and pedal linkages, and a few other bells and whistles and off she'll come......

Its having the engine and all out when the body off that disturbs me....

:-(
could be one of those 'while you're in their jobs' ... Wink

Yes, did my rad in 2004, what a git that was .....
Ok... maybe this isnt the place to post this, but here goes anyway... it can be moved if neccessary.

In summary, radiator is out, I was quite lucky with bolts undoing without shearing, and it would have been easier if i'd have removed the spoiler and grille first instead of last as most of it all came down together....

Nothing broken though and now the new radiator is equipped with nicely cleaned and painted fans...ready to be reinstalled when my new radiator hose arrives....

Anti-roll bar first....

[Image: IMG168.jpg]
[Image: IMG158.jpg]
[Image: IMG161.jpg]
[Image: IMG108.jpg]
[Image: IMG159.jpg]
[Image: IMG169.jpg]
[Image: IMG170.jpg]
[Image: IMG171.jpg]
[Image: IMG172.jpg]
[Image: IMG173.jpg]
[Image: IMG174.jpg]
[Image: IMG175.jpg]
[Image: IMG203.jpg]
[Image: IMG204.jpg]
[Image: IMG222.jpg]
[Image: IMG223.jpg]
[Image: IMG167.jpg]

As you can see I have a fair amount of things in bits!

Radiatior just needs to be rebolted to condenser and everything can be refitted then until the hoses arrive!

Refit next week!

And again, it wasnts that bad a job... as long as you research it a bit and dont try to do it with too much in the way its fine....

Oh and my new radiator is the same size but plastic cap ends... the one that came off is brass ends. And my new one has a cap and the old one doesnt... do these things matter?

Cheers all!
fantastic work there Ben Big Grin

Loving the 'man cave' you've got there too 8)
Received one shipment of parts from Ed and still waiting for John Hervey to get back to me on my bigger order of bits.....Today I fitted a few of the new bits.....

[Image: IMG229.jpg]

New fuel pump boot as original had split and im assuming that my occasional fuel smell might originate here...

[Image: IMG240.jpg]

Radiator and fans now rebolted to the condenser ready to be re-fitted....

[Image: IMG239.jpg]

My new fitred recycled air flap...

[Image: IMG236.jpg]

A nice new resistor for the heater fan... I had to improvise with the seal and use double sided foam tape as the gaskets are no longer available....

[Image: IMG234.jpg]
[Image: IMG241.jpg]

I have a job lot of used parts which i'm going to donate to the club and anyone who wants them can just pay for postage... I have listed the entire kaboosh in the parts section. Hoping to have all the front end built back up thursday then I can concentrate on that heater box when the parts finally arrive!

Mr P
I could be interested in your old parts Ben, however it all depends what's up
with my system when I finally get time to take it apart...... (too many projects,
too little time)

It might just be that my car wasn't put back together properly after it had the
exterior and interior done a few of years ago.

Will have a chat to Phill and come back to you asap, but if I can have first dibs
for now?
No problem at all claire.... not entirely sure what is up with your heating system though, whats the symptoms? I have done plenty of research over these few weeks so im becoming quite educated! I will empasise that the evaporator is probably the best used part here... i dont know what possessed me to try and get the old orifice tube out but it woyld have been a bolt on joe jobby... i have bust the tube inside the pipe and it needs removing but will be perfect when thats done....

I was reading somewhere that someone cut their a/c accumulator to pieces just to ensure their evaporator connections came off clean.... either someones been there before or i was just lucky... came out simple for me!
well my car went off to have loads of interior work (and bodywork) a few years ago,
and since it came back, the blower only works on Max and the one below it and 'bi-level',
and only on speeds 3 & 4 on the fan. The temp thingy makes no odds where you put it.

I'm pretty sure its been put back together wrong, but I've just never had the time to sort
it - plus in the cold weather, 'cant be arsed itus' tends to set in when you havent got a nice
dry workshop to play in Wink We're not all as hard as RichH working on his car outside in all
weathers lol
Hi Claire... Rich Has probably already run through this with you....

The hot / cold flap is controlled by a manual cable off the knob..
Could also be a vacuum pipe unallowing the hot water valve to swich...
Just 1 pipe off or a dodgy mode switch could cause all them symptoms....

The speed setting is almost certainly the resistor or one of the circuit breakers as I believe theres 2...

When the console is out it can be compared against a vac pipe routing diagram and diagnosed accordingly! Easier said than done though! ;-)
your prob not wrong there matey.
Hi all....

Well I am overjoyed that the front end of my car is all back together.....

A few things tested my patience though.... the top brackets supported the rad/condenser and fan combo just about while i bolted all the bottom bracketry up.... I think the killer was getting the shroud to fit nice, along with the grill and spoiler.... the n/s was a total menace as i was determined to replace all the bolts that were rusty or missing.... and with the washer bottle in place it was a certified anus...

The coolant pipe on the offside was a pain too... I had to cut an inch off it and even then it was a pain...I think the radiator is a smidge shorter as all the metal pipe and connecting hoses had to be repositioned to get it even close.... if they leak i will be tanping as i didnt wanna disturb too much....

Anyway it all back together and i'm a happy bunny.... I just wish i had water down our place to pressure wash all the front frame extension and its coolant sticky and greasy from traffic film...

I can tackle that another time though....

Had confirmation off John Hervey about my heater box parts so all being well i will make a start on that next week!

Happy new year all!

[Image: IMG275.jpg]
[Image: IMG277.jpg]
[Image: IMG279.jpg]
[Image: IMG278.jpg]
[Image: IMG276.jpg]
[Image: IMG282.jpg]

Thanks for following!

MrP
thats coming on a treat Ben, well done!! Big Grin