Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
had you thought about trying the supercharger route instead?

its something I've thought about as a future project for my car, as I'm not a fan of turbos or turbo lag.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:had you thought about trying the supercharger route instead?

No, because my goal from the start was to try and stay close to what DMC would have launched as their high-performance option. AFAIK Legend looked at twin and single turbos but not supercharging. Turbo lag is IMHO part of the driving experience for 80s sports cars, although it will probably still be lower than the originals due to lighter modern alloys and EFI.

Quote:its something I've thought about as a future project for my car, as I'm not a fan of turbos or turbo lag.

Agree, if I was just looking for lots of power it sounds like the best option : certainly DMCH seem to think so as they've made it their official Stage 3 option.
My engines (to date) run the most primitive form of multi-point EFI - batch fired injection with distributor. The ECU doesn't even have a concept of firing order. This is how the renault 2.5 turbo was set up originally.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
For what it's worth, the Legend story is well known. What isn't well known but came to light recently is that JZD was personally in contact with Renault about using the turbo engine they were developing for the GTA. Given this engine was in production in 1984 with electronic ignition and injection, to me it seems unlikely DMC would have continued down the unproven Legend & K-jet path.

DMC Houston went with a supercharger because they wanted something to bolt to their "stage 1 and 2", and given that a turbo would mean re-working the exhaust (the stage 1) and provide a hotter charge than a supercharger, they stuck with the modest boost from a small supercharger into their existing stage 2 - which is already too high compression and with unsuitable cams for anything more than modest boost anyway. BUT because boost gives a proportionate gain, and you're starting with 200hp, even 5psi will give you a 33% hike in horses. It makes sense, given the starting point.

Hopefully we'll have #2727 on the road again tomorrow.... 275hp and 300ft-lbs have been produced by the same setup in another car...
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
really interesting stuff Martin, and it will be nice to see #2727 running again Smile
Visited P J Grady Europe today, frame work is coming along;

[Image: auryn-frame1_zps051f0840.jpg]

[Image: auryn-frame2_zps245086f8.jpg]

Some non-stock bits on there e.g. high power pump from John H fitted, Ed Uding's springs, Spax shocks, beefed up LCAs from Heninger and Associates (awaiting resin coating) etc. Left several boxes of electronic gadgets with Chris N, picked up the engine (to go to DMC Europe for rebuild & turbo conversion).

Transmission parts had also arrived with Chris N: one-piece input shaft, gearing & final drive to change ratios to Esprit V8 equivalent (post retrofit spec), limited-slip diff etc. Gearbox / transmission rebuild in January.

Martin G is looking into fabricating a rear sway bar for this car (similar to his previous prototype, connecting to the hubs and routed through the engine cradle tunnel).
nice work there Smile
Guinney1971 Wrote:nice work there Smile

You can see Chris N's primary tool just under the frame there (a big hammer Smile ).
lol, the sort of thing my dad used to refer to as a 'large persuading device' Wink
Currently have the engine for this car in the back of my Allroad, delivering it to DMC Europe for twin-turbo rebuild when I'm in Holland on Friday.
Added some more little bits to the parts pile, hardwood seat backs (no MDF!), engine bay uplighting (submersible LED strips), heated wing mirrors, upgraded TABs & TAB covers etc.

Currently looking at Martin G's rear anti-roll bar, looks like solid engineering but not cheap; 375 GBP not including bolt-on brackets.
Also his sports brake kit which is about 50% more expensive than the DMC Europe solution but covers the rears as well as the fronts.

Seriously considered an integrated rear spoiler with stainless wing.
some amazing upgrades there, although not sure about the rear spoiler, depends what it would look like .....
Visited Ed Uding at DMC Europe to drop off the engine (for twin-turbo rebuild) and pick up the rear glass. He has a nice setup;

[Image: dmceu_zps885056b8.jpg]

Ed was great, gave me his views on the PRV-6, forced induction options and all the DeLorean vendors. Had a go with his power steering, which is pretty neat, although sadly that car wasn't drivable when I was there.
Ed is making progress on the engine;

[Image: block-sealed_zps55db4073.jpg]

[Image: intake_zpsdfcf38ca.jpg]
very nice! Big Grin

What PAS set up is he doing? I'm looking at electronic power steering, as its easier then
messing about with new racks and pumps and stuff.
Guinney1971 Wrote:What PAS set up is he doing? I'm looking at electronic power steering, as its easier then messing about with new racks and pumps and stuff.

Yes, that's Ed's solution, electronic power steering module replacing the upper steering wheel shaft. I've ordered one to fit into 12306.