Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter motor issues
Hi guys, my car wont turn over after being left for a couple on months.

The starter makes a buzzing sound but does not turn, as if its seized. I have tried 2 fresh batteries. I have pushed the car in 5th. Gear and the engine appears to compress OK and i can smell a tiny bit of fuel from an exhaust so i dont think the engine has seized. Engine has fresh magnatech oil with very little use.

Could it be the starter solenoid or the motor? What can be checked?

Thanks in advance, Martin.
Don't worry, virtually no chance the engine has seized, unless it's been sunk under water :?: :wink:

Most likely the solenoid in the starter isn't engaging properly....

Do you get a clunking noise, or a whizzing noise? It could be the starter is jammed in the flywheel, but that's usually freed off by rocking the car in gear.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:Don't worry, virtually no chance the engine has seized, unless it's been sunk under water :?: :wink:

Most likely the solenoid in the starter isn't engaging properly....

Do you get a clunking noise, or a whizzing noise? It could be the starter is jammed in the flywheel, but that's usually freed off by rocking the car in gear.

Hi richard, thanks for that. I don't think it's seized as I moved it in 5th gear by pushing it (clutch engaged). I tried rocking but it still wont turn.

The starter kind of makes a whiney groaning sound, as if its got power but is stalled.
Sounds like it could the be solenoid.

But also double check the cables going to/from the battery to the starter motor to make sure they are clean - I had electrical challenges with my car when I first got it, and it turned out those cables had a build up of corrosion on them.
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:Sounds like it could the be solenoid.

But also double check the cables going to/from the battery to the starter motor to make sure they are clean - I had electrical challenges with my car when I first got it, and it turned out those cables had a build up of corrosion on them.

Cool, thanks for that, is it easy to remove the starter and solenoid?
It's 3 or 4 bolts that hold the starter motor in place from what I recall. Taking the oil filter off will make access/maneuvering the starter motor somewhat easier.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:It's 3 or 4 bolts that hold the starter motor in place from what I recall. Taking the oil filter off will make access/maneuvering the starter motor somewhat easier.

Ahh got you....does that mean draining all my new lovely magnatek ;-)
Only the portion contained within the oil filter Wink
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
MikeWard Wrote:Only the portion contained within the oil filter Wink
Many thanks for that...i'll get on with that ASAP
hows it going Martin? Any joy with it yet?
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:hows it going Martin? Any joy with it yet?

Yup good news indeed!! It's fixed. The slip ring that moves with the solenoid to the fly wheel had seized completely. Stripped down, cleaned and is now fully working. It then Started on Sunday with on;y one turn of the engine, fired immediately. She drove perfectly as usual on Sunday. A marvellous example of how well they can run, even when not used for a few months.

Thanks for your help guys, if you need any more info on the procedure I under took, let me know.

Martin.
sound good Martin, and well done for fixing it - fancy doing a write up (with any piccies?)
for the Club mag in case anyone else has the same issue?

Now, get yer butt to Tatton Park next month!! lol 8)
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Guinney1971 Wrote:sound good Martin, and well done for fixing it - fancy doing a write up (with any piccies?)
for the Club mag in case anyone else has the same issue?

Now, get yer butt to Tatton Park next month!! lol 8)

I dont have any pics, but it wouldnt be too hard to drscribe the steps taken to diagnose. Might even be able to strip it down again just to show it working.

I also rebuilt my idle ECU, that would be another good write up, I videoed how to remove the chips when i did that...

Tatton is unlikely, I've got soem time away with the mrs, I think the two over run slightly but will confirm.

Speak soon.
FWIW a brand new starter from Renault for the later 25 turbo is just over £100. This motor is smaller, more powerful and faster. Use the registration F747 ETA (phase two 25 Turbo) if you want to order one from your local Renault stealer.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Great tip, thanks for that....if it plays up again, that sounds a good solution!