Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handbrake MOT fail
That rings a bell actually, I did that on mine too as I discovered the same thing. The metal that the bracket is made out of is too thin and it'll bend inwards before the cable pulls the pads tight enough. I beefed mine up too with a bit of extra thick stuff with holes for the cables to pass through, I tink I drilled and bolted it to the rest of the bracketry...
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
It wasn't too difficult to weld the washers in place, when fitting I just ground down 2 of the 'edges' so as to make like a figure 8- still left it in primer! 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
bjbrownie Wrote:still left it in primer! 8)

I was wondering why you made it out of a roof tile....
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Solid stuff are Marley tiles! (Better made than original DMC tin ware) :lol:
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
(26 Mar 2012, 14:37)dogs_bolx Wrote: In my case after lots of adjustment trying it was the RH cable that had completely seized. Ordered another from Delorean Go and it wasn't quite the same (had to dremel off 2cm of spring to get the inner cable through the bracket eye). Handbrake fine now.

Hi Guys!

Well, its always been a pain, and it appears the handbrake is always poor, but mine's failed its MOT at last! Any tips on getting it though?

ere's what I've tried so far:

Replaced the hand brake pads.
Checkedthe cable pulls both sides and calipers move OK/freely.
Adjusted the screw with the split pin in.
Used the barrel adjuster on the cable to take up any slack.

The pads just dont seen to bite, even though the handle is lovely and tight with no stretch or slop in the cable.

Any ideas? I really need to get it passed. Thanks, martin.
There's a new set of pads available that are angled to compensate for the way they are applied to the brake disc. The 'square' handbrake pads only touch the discs with a small surface area. You could angle the square pads with a sheet of sand paper. That might help.

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237