Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boot/Bonnet Rubber Seal
I've just been ripping off my boot/bonnet weather seal. It was a god-awful looking thing which looked ugly and incorrect, and wasn't even weather proof for keeping my luggage dry in the rain with the bonnet closed!

Just to let people know, in case anyone is in a similar position, i replaced it with, instead of an "official" seal from Ed or Texas, this:

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/product/14mm ... on_TRMDSA3

The whole cost was about £29 for 6 metres. (You only need 5 metres for your bonnet - but i ordered slightly more just to have some extra for experimentation elsewhere maybe someday - even then the guy cut me 6.75 metres! Big Grin )

You stick it down so that it hugs the contour lip on the underside of the bonnet, giving the outline of the seal for the bonnet when it closes down on to the raised lip in the fibreglass.

Not only is this an awesome website, the new seal looks and works beautifully!
If anything, i could maybe have gone to either the next again smaller size, or even the smallest size (still keeping it self adhesive). The size i've given here, once fitted, feels a "little" tight when closing the (my) bonnet, and is pushing it up a little higher than i would have liked once locked.
I'll live with it for the time-being since it has cost me thus far, but may think about trying a smaller size at a later time. I'm sure we all have slightly different bonnets, and variable space to seal under there!?

It was also delivered by Royal Mail within 24hrs using their bargain basement delivery method (phoning for the order rather than using their website)

If anyone wants any pics to see what it looks like when its on, i'll post one or two up....
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
good stuff Chris, look forward to seeing pictures of the new seal in place - my car
leaks into the boot when it rains, and I end up with puddles in the tops of the shock
towers.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
*grumble* took me ages to glue that seal in place. :wink:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
...Sorry Martin. :lol:

Here is some pics for everyone to see. Sorry if these are HUGE pictures!

[Image: P1010149.jpg]

[Image: P1010147.jpg]

[Image: P1010146.jpg]

[Image: P1010145.jpg]
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
**going all misty-eyed** aaah yes, my bonnet hinges painted in silver hammerite. Who ever thought that was a good idea... Shock
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
...Like i said before, i feel as though i could have gone down to the smaller, or even the smallest size for the same job. Think this one is a little on the tight side for closing, meaning its popping up my bonnet a bit...

[Image: P1010152.jpg]

On a side note, when i got the seal delivered, i got them to throw in their latest catalogue, which i have to say, has many many interesting things in it. Including stuff that i'm needing to get for my car (replacement Water piping for the coolant system - either rubber, or blue silicone etc!)

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
stunned_monkey Wrote:**going all misty-eyed** aaah yes, my bonnet hinges painted in silver hammerite. Who ever thought that was a good idea... Shock

eh!?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
CBS are a 10 minute drive from my mum's. I've spent many hundreds of pounds there.

(I painted those bonnet hinges)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Chris, I've got 'chav blue' silicon coolant hoses on my car, I changed them after the short rubber
hose under the coil in the corner of the engine bay burst on the motorway.

I only changed the hoses that go between the metal pipes under the car, the engine bay hoses
are all normal black rubber ones.

I like your bonnet rubber seal though, I'm tempted to change mine having seen yours, but I'll go for
a size smaller .
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie