Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turning the engine off ?
Interesting one for me, i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter!

My Delorean is a 1981, rebuilt in 2005 by DMC Texas to the Stage 2 spec. It is an auto.

So there you have the specs. Now I did not drive the car for the first couple of days I was in Las Vegas because I was not insured, and my friend (who owns 2 DeLoreans) drove me around town etc.

I noticed, that before he turned it off, he revved the engine. I was shocked because I have worked/played with many modern sports cars with fuel injection and this is a real NO ! Similarly I have also worked with classic 60's V8's which are not fuel injected and generally seems to help for the start-up process later on.

Fair enough, but when I started to drive the DeLorean, I did not rev it before turning off, knowing it runs fuel injection I thought it would be bad. But then when I came to re-start the car, it would struggle, as if fuel starved. So I tried the rev before turning it off and it started first time on the the first kick over...

So i'm a little confused, it goes against everything I know so far (but I don't pretend to know a huge amount, i'm not a trained technician, I just love cars), but does this sound like something others have experienced? Is it just perhaps that my car has gotten used to the previous owner (maybe, I didn't meet him) and then my friend doing it so now it accepts it, and therefore I could wein it off, or is it a DeLorean (or Stage 2) speciality that I just have to get used to?

Long post for a simple question, but I hope it all makes sense!
Thanks,
Tom
1981 DeLorean Stage II
[Image: sig2.jpg]
All seems odd to me!! I never 'rev' any engine before shutting down but was allways from having engines fitted with Turbo's so they have chance to slow down before cutting the oil supply. Cant really see the difference it would make on any fuel injected car, but someone else may have an idea.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Well even in a N/A car I always let the engine revs settle and let it idle a bit before turning off, but when I used to drive a friend's Essex Esprit Turbo I was always very conscious of giving it time to cool down, seeing as how old Lotus's are not famous for reliability...

When I drive my friend's manual DeLorean (all original including tyres) it usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd attempt but I always put it down to not being used enough (only 4,000 miles since 1981, that's no life for a car! :o Mr Green ).

Perhaps i'm wrong (wouldn't be surprised!!), I was just curious to see what other people thought...
1981 DeLorean Stage II
[Image: sig2.jpg]