Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rough running
Just started up my DMC after a month in the garage and although it fired up immediately, it ran very rough after the engine revs shot up to nearly 4k, then settled down to a lumpy tickover (like on 4 cylinders)and then idled at 800 rpm gradually falling off till it stalled. It ran perfectly at the beginning of January, 1/4 tank of fuel and run till it was hot, so this is unusual. Restarts easily but very lumpy idle-accelerator has little effect, pushing the pressure flap on the injector body makes it pick up but still rough. Ignition in good order, mixture etc fine when last adjusted-any ideas?
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
Fresh fuel and a good drive cures a lot of ills!!!!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Check the vacuum hoses are all connected as per the diagram under your engine cover.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Thanks for the pointers, it was an air leak in the flexible connection joining the intake throttles to the injector air assembly-there was a split in the lower part of the convoluted hose, I removed it back in summer and it appeared fine, maybe age and -14 temperatures must have seen it off. New part on its way asap 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!
glad to hear this was an easy fix Smile

We're gonna make a start on sorting Flopsy out soon, we *think* its got a
dodgy injector (plus loads of other faults).

Just need to finish the engine transplant in one of our Cavaliers first, then we
can turn out attention to the Flopmeister Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Air leaks can be spectacularly bad news for engine running - just removing the rubber blank that covers the mixture adjustment screw, changes mine from running perfectly to a bag of rats, in one easy step.

Adjusting the three brass screws on the inlet plenum pipes can make a lot of diffference too...

R
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
I wound all 3 brass screws in (as I read somewhere), tickover was a lt smoother, winding them out to Volvo manual spec didnt improve anything much but raised the revs a little and made the engine idle a bit lumpy-best leave them screwed in and recheck the emissions 8)