Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gas Strut retaining clips
Hi people, does anyone have/know of where i can purchase the gas strut retaining clips, as one is missing and the strut keeps popping off as i go to close it.
Cheers
Kelvin Tan
Hello Kelvin,

Let me know which gas strut it is and the make - I know we have a load of dead struts in stock - so I'll see if I can rob a clip from one of them.

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
If you mean the door struts, the clip is more of a safety feature than a retaining clip. If it's poppng off then the mount may be bent or the fibreglass beneath may be damaged. In fact I seem to remember Stuart having trouble with the passenger door strut mount???
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
the clip comes in under the 'ball' to retain in place.

you could use a bent paper clip, or take a spring and cut /bend into place.

even a tie wire for a sandwich bag, minus the plastic cover bit if one is thick enough.

another...solid core mains cable.
Steve Saunders
Wolverhampton
ex owner vin 1621
doc 370
Or weld it up :lol: only kidding TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
There's gas struts for the bonnet and the rear louvres - is it worth trying to see if the clips from there fit in the interim?

On a slightly more serious note, Phill had a problem last year when the lower pivot bolt for the door gas strut actually sheared off as he got in Sorbet one day.

Luckilly, he was able to get a replacement from Houston and managed to fit it without losing the 'internal' parts inside the body tub.

Good luck with it Kelvin, hope the problem isnt too serious.

Cheers,

Claire
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks for the replies everyone.

The clips that are missing are for the struts that hold the bonnet up, and i have noticed that all four are missing!!! Shock
The units are PJ Grady and they work brilliantly, im just a bit worried that when i shut the bonnet down, they might spring off and cause some damage some where.
Cheers
Kelvin Tan
Hello Kelvin,

I don't remember selling you struts! Must have come with the car - or straight from Rob in NY.

In any case - I'll forward you on a new pair of hood struts for free - just drop me a PM with your address, etc. For the cost of a new pair of hood struts - it's easier to replace then root around for a few old clips. Keep the others as spares!

All the best

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Wow, you can't say fairer than that !

Nice one Big Grin
Funny enough :lol: :lol: TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hey Kelvin,

I'm babysitting a pair of front struts for you. Let me know when you want to collect them / or where you want me to post them to....otherwise Chris N will grab them and stick them on one of his ever growing collection of cars!

Thanks

Darren
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Darren and Chris at PJ Grady for the new gas struts which has sorted the problem.

Cheers guys

Pester you soon!!!! Big Grin Big Grin
Kelvin Tan