Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help!
My rear brake light was flickery and I noticed the earth wire was just stuffed through a hole
So like an idiot I re soldered it back on, switched the lights on and now I have no brake lights at all

Strangely enough tail lights work, hazards lights work, reverse lights work but my indicators and brake lights don't

So I'm stranded in my parents house as it's dark and I can't drive home with no brake lights.

If anyone knows what I've done help would be much appreciated

Mike
Mike Dargan
VIN #2311
DOC 697
Ok so upon further investigation, a fuse had popped plugged a new one in and I'm back on the road...

I'm still puzzled as to what I actually did to pop the fuse.

M
Mike Dargan
VIN #2311
DOC 697
With no reference to earth, the voltage going to your light cluster would have been floating, and therefore, unstable (flickering lights). You probably reconnected your earth while a voltage was still present from the battery supply. That would have been a bit of a shock to the circuit, causing increase in current, and operated your fuse.

Another possibility is that when you say soldered, you actually meant ark welded! lol!

You should disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work.

The earthing on these cars isn't the best when its all correct, and after many years, the earthing is breaking down on many cars (including my own) which in itself produces some real funnies.

Everytime i drive my car in the wet, something along the way eventually gets exposed to the rain water, and causes the oil warning light to come on at the dashboard. It fades in and out and eventualy goes out again once the car dries out again. There is nothing wrong with the oil in the engine. The tell tail? The oil pressure gauge still showing a normal display, and no wrecked engine after still driving it a good few hundered miles up to Scotland from Wales in that condition. LOL!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy, you're sounding like a true and seasoned DeLorean owner already!! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Rissy Wrote:Everytime i drive my car in the wet, something along the way eventually gets exposed to the rain water, and causes the oil warning light to come on at the dashboard. It fades in and out and eventualy goes out again once the car dries out again. There is nothing wrong with the oil in the engine. The tell tail? The oil pressure gauge still showing a normal display, and no wrecked engine after still driving it a good few hundered miles up to Scotland from Wales in that condition. LOL!

You have LEDs in your instrument cluster and it takes very little current to light them up. The oil pressure switch has only a very small nylon insert between the connector and the body of the sensor - one drip of water and it'll start conducting enough to make the LED glow slightly. If you want to eliminate this, change the LED back out for a regular bulb Big Grin

Hae you figured out why your fan fail light glows when driving at speed yet? :wink:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hae you figured out why your fan fail light glows when driving at speed yet? :wink:

I haven't had that actually Martin. I guess i just don't drive lexi as fast as you did. lol!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Rissy Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:Hae you figured out why your fan fail light glows when driving at speed yet? :wink:

I haven't had that actually Martin. I guess i just don't drive lexi as fast as you did. lol!

PMSL!!! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
stunned_monkey Wrote:... one drip of water and it'll start conducting enough to make the LED glow slightly. If you want to eliminate this, change the LED back out for a regular bulb ....

or simply put a 1KOhm resistor from the side of the wire from the pressure switch to 12V, it'll act like a "pull up" and avoid ghost glowing in case of water conduction (the resistor "eat" the current passing via the water drop).

my 5ç
VIN 4500
Bvvarf Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:... one drip of water and it'll start conducting enough to make the LED glow slightly. If you want to eliminate this, change the LED back out for a regular bulb ....

or simply put a 1KOhm resistor from the side of the wire from the pressure switch to 12V, it'll act like a "pull up" and avoid ghost glowing in case of water conduction (the resistor "eat" the current passing via the water drop).

my 5ç

Superb! I might just try that! (I take it you mean you have to put the resistor inside the binnacle side of the wire interface to the LED? Since the other side goes to the pressure switch and then to Earth...)

Will the same trick work for the Cooling Fan Fail Light emitting on the motorway at speed? I've got an LED in there too now and it's do the same thing except from the wind blowing the fans round, backwards generating voltage on to the LED. Never did it with an incandescent before.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):