Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chassis dipping!
I was looking at my chassis the other day (the Delorean's!) and thought it looks a bit ropey......

I'd love to have the means to do it myself, but does anyone have an idea (ball park figure?) on how much it would cost to get it removed, stripped and dipped etc....

PJ Grady.co.uk?? Any other recommends??

In relation to another query I phoned PJ Grady.co.uk on - 01268 680278 but this number doesn't work and the message I left on the mobile was never returned!

Anyone been down this chassis road before? Taaa

Mats
#100[/color]
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
It's no secret in the club that i want to get a full refurb job done on LEX's chassis and other under car elements, especially since i've now had to start getting welding done to get through M.O.T's. I've done a bit of looking around myself for this matter and can tell you that Martin is offering the service, and has given me a ball park figure to expect to pay but has also said that inevitably, it would cost even more than his quotation because as soon as that chassis has everything stripped off it, you'll want to get everything else done at the same time (human nature). I'll let Martin give you a rough quote to you personally, as it IS his professional business we are talking about.
DMC Europe also offer the service, and are quoting on their webpage. I think about 2,300 Euros or so if memory serves, which incidentally, is much less than Martin is quoting to me, but to be honest, Martin may be a bit more realistic when also involving extra refurb elements which DMC Europe may not, i'm not sure. Would be nice to have two different people, one having experience of one path, and the other person, the other path, for comparison, to be able to really tell the difference.
As for PJ Grady, that is not an avenue i have looked into, but for no particular reason other than i never thought of them as doing such jobs.

Personally, i'm not in a position to make a decision on the route i would take myself yet, need to save up first, for a quite a while too, but i DID think it might be quite cool to take a road trip to Holland in LEX, and leave her with them, and then collect again to retrun home in some weeks later. Another thinking was that i've been considering replacing the bumpers on LEX too and other bits like steering rack, and DMC Europe obviously carry these in stock, so would be a good time to get those fitted at the same time, and avoid carriage charges as they would already be on the the car for the return journey. Straight on to the ferry, and off again at the other side. Swish. :wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
I'm note sure if Ed's price includes the labour for removing and replacing the chassis - if it is, then use him, cos that's astonishng value.

If you were to do the job yourself, the costs are:

Strip chassis - really depends where you have it done, I've used Surface Processing who aren't cheap but do it chemically which means you can be sure all the insides are fully stripped too without heat or blasting. £650 ish plus the trailer and fuel to deliver and collect (Dudley).

Repair chassis - whatever welding needs doing. Can be several hundred, could be £50

Galvanising and powdercoating; roughly £1500. I get all the suspension arms done in black at the same time.

There are a couple of incidentals, like all the plastic clips for the chassis pipework which break when you remove them, and then it's up to you what you want to do with suspension bushes, shocks etc "while you're in there".
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I think I paid 160 for galvanising, and another 200 for powdercoating.
Vin #4087
That is exceptionally good too (maybe I'm paying too much?!)
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Thanks guys for all the replies! Lots of info...

Obviously the 160 for galvanising, and another 200 for powdercoating sounds like a good deal...
Any more info on this please (location etc..) and did they strip it as well for you?

Taaa

Hi Martin as well, I gather from Rissy's reply that you're still up and running which is great (thought you had gone quieter since returning to Uni.... )
Hope all's well...
Cheers,
Mat
DOC 100 Vin#3866 Ashington, West Sussex
Hi Mat,

Chris Harding does all the spanner turning for DeLorean Cars, and I've now finished my 2nd year at Sussex. I've taken on more restorations now too so we don't take on too much day-to-day servicing
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Hi Mat, nice to see you on here again Smile

If you have a word with Julian (Bandit on here), he did the seperation himself using a 2 post lift, and I *think* he used a company in Nottingham called Pro Strip to strip the chassis, then had it taken somewhere else for welding and coating. If I remember rightly, it all cost him under a grand for the whole job. Obviously the prep and putting back together was all DIY though.

Hopefully this week the council will approve the plans for our new 7 car garage, which means once its built (including a 2 post lift), I'll be able to do a much needed frame sep on 'Flopsy'. She's all pretty on top, but underneath is gonna need proper attention before too long.... Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
matclarke Wrote:I was looking at my chassis the other day (the Delorean's!) and thought it looks a bit ropey......

I'd love to have the means to do it myself, but does anyone have an idea (ball park figure?) on how much it would cost to get it removed, stripped and dipped etc....

PJ Grady.co.uk?? Any other recommends??

In relation to another query I phoned PJ Grady.co.uk on - 01268 680278 but this number doesn't work and the message I left on the mobile was never returned!

Anyone been down this chassis road before? Taaa

Mats
#100[/color]

Chris N (PJ Grady) is in the US at the moment working on the DeLorean limo, but he'll be back in a week or so. I've just had lots of restorative work done on my frame by him (without going down the body off route) and I'm very happy with the results. Depending on how bad your frame is, you may not need to do the whole frame off job - you might be able to sort if for much less. I have PMed you Chris's mobile number - give him a bell next week when he's back, it'll be worth a chat with him about the options...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Guinney1971 Wrote:our new 7 car garage, which means once its built (including a 2 post lift)....

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
lol :lol:

Just waiting to hear back from local council Planning Dept as to whether we need planning permission or not (its replacing an existing garage), then its all systems go Big Grin
That's excellent news. ...I've been looking for somewhere i can get LEX up off the ground to do work underneath more easily. SO, how does next spring sound to you? Clare and i will be requiring a room, at least 14 days, a hot meal every night, and lots of massages to help cure the aches and pains in the evening time, relaxing in front of the telly. That reminds me, we'll also be needing chilled chardonnay, on tap, oh and tools. We'll be needing tools. so i'll have yours........and yes, of course.........we'll be....needing.....blah...blah....blah......... . .. . .. .. . .... . . . .
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
err........now how do I word the response to that request (cleanly) lol :lol:
"...that would be bloody marvellous, chris. I look forward to having you all round"

??

Seems simple enough to me.

:wink:
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I say dear boy, it would be absolutely marvelous to see you and the charabanc old chap :lol: