Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some information on track rod ends with photos
Track rod end information

There are a lot of x/refs going around for the track rod ends but not all track rod ends are equal.

The trouble stems from the length, if it is too long it will not allow enough toe in adjustment when
on the car, you will simply run out of thread.

I had been warned that there can be variations, so I ordered a set from Dave Howarth to be sent
with the steering rack which I was having refurbished. Sure enough they have turned up and they
are longer than the originals.

The photo of the OEM track rod fitted on the rack is in the position it was at when on my car so
it is fair to suggest that it is somewhere near the correct position, from the 2 photos you can clearly
see that if I were to install Dave H’s track rod end I would not be able to fit the retaining nut behind it.

[Image: track_rods.jpg]

Whilst the nut could be turned down, the track rod end could be cut shorter, these are effectively
treating the symptoms not addressing the problem.

I’m going to return mine to Dave H and try and source some alternatives that are the correct length.

I don’t want to fork out for a 4-wheel alignment only to find they isn’t enough adjustment to achieve
the correct setting.

Does somone have a 100% cross ref for these or a source, I'd rather do the job once and do it right!

Thanks

James RG
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Hi James, the ones I've got came from SOC in Headcorn, Kent. I seem
to recall they had a Ford part number on them - I'll try and track down
the invoice from when I bought them off Ebay. Failing that, give them a
ring - if you cant find the number, Martin will probably still have it and
may even have a x-ref.

Hope this helps,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I got the ones from Premier Supply as well, Part No: GSJ158. However I had to chop mine down by about 5mm as they were to long. Cant remember if they were branded ones and they may use/supply different makes, So it might be why Claire's fitted and mine did not. However the ones supplied to me 'looked' very similar to the ones supplied by Dave.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I think I'll stick with what I've got off Dave and give them the chop as that seems to be what most people are doing.
ta

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Rather than chop the ends down, I got a die and cut an extra inch of thread into the rack

I can't remeber what the thread was though, so not very helpful I know. :|
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
RichH Wrote:Rather than chop the ends down, I got a die and cut an extra inch of thread into the rack

I can't remeber what the thread was though, so not very helpful I know. :|

That would be the cleaner solution, but I don't have a die big enough in my tiddly Tap & Die set

My hack saw has a shiny new blade and is longing for some action

J
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
JamesRGUK Wrote:My hack saw has a shiny new blade and is longing for some action

J

Shock That could be one hell of a chat up line James!! :lol:
That is one cross-ref that can be chalked up to Chris Parnham - he got the reference ages ago for the Triumph Herald.

Yes, they are longer, but if you set the toe-in to the more Esprit-esque 1mm per wheel, there's rarely a problem. The tyres last a lot better and the handling isn't adversely affected. On the occasion that I've seen a rack where they couldn't be toed in enough, machining a small amount off the nuts allows for the rod ends to be replaced in future with no issue. If you're that bothered, new nuts are pence.

Interestingly, the track rods from an Esprit are suitably shorter and would be a perfect match for the longer rod ends, if only they were available seperately...!

I usually track in a car by running the nut and end all the way in, then measuring it and going from there.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
interesting info there Martin - and interesting to see that its not just Renault that dont do steering parts seperately..... :roll:
To be fair to Lotus - the design of the rods is such that wear can be accounted for by adjusting the lock of the ball joint (the "shoulder" if you like). This job requires the rack be removed and it's a proper headache to do properly. I -can- do it, but for what it costs to pay someone else, it's not worth it.

Rich's suggestion of running a die up the shaft to add a quarter inch of thread is ideal, although I thought the rod end bottoms out before then. The difference needed is a couple of mm, nothing more.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
ah right, me understandy now Smile

We had a right mare with the Avi last year, too much play in the wheels when the car was MOT'd, but you cant just replace the small failed bit, you have to buy complete new steering arms - over £300 from Renault! (then there was labour on top, etc....) Shock Apparantly its a common thing on the 3.0i Avi's, Espace's and on Laguna's too fitted with the larger wheels :roll:
stunned_monkey Wrote:That is one cross-ref that can be chalked up to Chris Parnham - he got the reference ages ago for the Triumph Herald.

Yes, they are longer, but if you set the toe-in to the more Esprit-esque 1mm per wheel, there's rarely a problem. The tyres last a lot better and the handling isn't adversely affected. On the occasion that I've seen a rack where they couldn't be toed in enough, machining a small amount off the nuts allows for the rod ends to be replaced in future with no issue. If you're that bothered, new nuts are pence.

Interestingly, the track rods from an Esprit are suitably shorter and would be a perfect match for the longer rod ends, if only they were available seperately...!

I usually track in a car by running the nut and end all the way in, then measuring it and going from there.

Presumably when the car is lowered with modern springs the track rods sit a little more level which results in more toe out which needs to be adjusted inwards, perhaps this is why some cars experience problems with longer track rod ends than others.

Just FYI Part Number FTR4054 are the exact same length as DMC originals no cutting etc... these regularly come up on eBay. and I think SQS Autofactors sell them approx £8 each + P&P

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
I'm not sure I trust you....

[Image: revboyd.jpg]
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Ah, yes the FTR4054 x-ref was posted by Stu Rees about a year ago.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtop...=20&t=2989 :wink:

Do we have confirmation that they are the same length?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Well I've cut mine down anyway and installed them along with the refurbish rack.

Wow what a difference, it really has transformed the feel of the steering and made driving a much more pleasureable experience, I didn't appreciate just how sloppy the old rack had got, everyting is much more solid and the steering feels much more direct.

My only question is (as I've misslaid my manual) what torque setting should I use for the steering rack clamp bolts?, the 4 you access under the car.

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK