Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windscreen (early type)
Flopsy unfortunately has a crack migrating down her windscreen (a replacement from Uroglass fitted about 6 or 7 years ago).

As she's an earlier type car (July 81), she should have the antenna in the winscreen, but these were not available when the screen was last changed.

Well good news, having reported the crack to our insurers the other day (AON), they got Autoglass on the case, who rang today asking what colour top tint I wanted and also did I want the screen with the built in antenna or without? Cool!! 8)

Although I've got an electric aerial now, It'll be nice to have the correct style of windscreen for the age of the car.

When the Autoglass bod comes to fit it next week, I'll ask where it came from - I think it is Uroglass that are doing them, but not sure.

Will try and post some pics too.

Obviously for those of you out there, with early cars but later type windscreens, its good to know that the correct type windscreen for early cars is now available Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Yep Autoglass did mine about 4 years ago. The supplier was indeed Uroglass.
Be cool to see your new 'windshield' with 'extras'!
I didn't get any options back then! Sad
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
Yup, they come from Uroglass

And 100% kudos goes to DOC Mag Editor Phil Peters for negotiating with Uroglass to manufacture these antenna windscreens. Another job well done Phil !!
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Really!!

Well a big well done to Phil Peters then, and thanks very much !! Big Grin
Were Uroglass doing the rear heated screens too? Or is this a DMCH purchase?
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
right......... waited in all day for Autoglass, rings them just now, to be told that the appointment shouldnt have been made for today as the screen is on back order :evil:

They will ring me when its in.

So, I decided to ring Uroglass, to see what the score was with lead times, and my screen (with antenna, heading for Autoglass in Sandiacre) and another screen without antenna are being shipped out to Autoglass today. Fingers crossed, it'll be fitted either Friday or Monday then.

So, who else has got a broken windscreen then? :wink:
Update......

ok, so its been 8 days since I spoke to Uroglass and Autoglass about my new screen...

So, I've just rung them to ask whats happening, to be told its on back order and could be 6 weeks.

"nooo...... I was told by the supplier last week that they were shipping it out that day"

So, laddo at helpdesk rings Sanidacre back, and informs me that when they received my new screen last week it was broken straight down the middle.

Not impressed...... :evil:
ok, here endeth the story........

yesterday afternoon a man from Autoglass rings to say he's got my screen on his van and he'll be here Thursday (today) to fit it (apparantly my replacement replacement screen arrived about an hour after they told me on the phone it would be 6 weeks... :roll: )

Just before 3pm, he turned up, and has just gone, and the screen looks fab and he's done a good job.

Pics to follow Big Grin

All in all, I'm at last a happy customer lol :lol:
Photos as promised Smile

[Image: 080720101168.jpg]

[Image: 080720101167.jpg]

Trims and rubbers removed
[Image: 080720101171.jpg]

part of crack in old screen
[Image: 080720101175.jpg]

EZI-Wire that cuts the screen free - some gadge!
[Image: 080720101177.jpg]

[Image: 080720101178.jpg]

[Image: 080720101179.jpg]

Screen out - made it possible for me to see how bad the cracks are in
my refurbished binnacle Sad
[Image: 080720101183.jpg]

Bondo applied with a drill attachement - how cool is that Wink
[Image: 080720101190.jpg]

New screen going in
[Image: 080720101187.jpg]

All done!! Smile
[Image: 080720101192.jpg]
This is amazing! It's REALLY good to know that if anything was to ever happen with MY original windscreen, that it could be replaced with a new one WITH the antenna again. You'll have to let us know how you get on transferring your aerial back on to your new Windscreen imbedded antenna (If that is what you have plans to do...)

It was really nice to see pics with the windscreen surrounds removed. I need to have a "bash" at doing this in September with LEX so that i can see if i can find where the rain is migrating into the cabin, and straight down onto my driver's side sunvisor (this is why its totally ruined!) and right down on to my knee! I had to drive from Chirk up to East Kilbride (Clare's house) in June, with a towel on my lap! Is it easy? I'm being told it is, but still need to find all the screws to get the surrounds off. Anyone have pics of the locations?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Good job, how long did that take in total?

Is that a Sera in the background?
Vin #4087
Cheers Chris/Thomas

Chris, I'll probably have some pics of Flopsy's from when I got her and the first stage of the resto was going on. IIRC, theres 2 either side of the t-panel on the top piece, and 3 on each side one. Will check tho.

Thomas, yep thats a Sera, used to belong to Phill's older daughter, but we're keeping it for Kezia - but the car will be 33 when she's old enough to drive it! lol The job took about an hour and a half to do.
Guinney1971 Wrote:IIRC, theres 2 either side of the t-panel on the top piece, and 3 on each side one. Will check tho.

What does "IIRC" stand for? Plus, its not the 4 up the top inside the door recesses i have a problem with, its understanding where on earth the screws are up the side of the car for the side trims!? can't understand where those ones are at all!?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
If I Recall Correctly
Vin #4087
I took some pics of the windscreen surround screws earlier, I'll post em up in abit.

Cheers for the translation Thomas!! Wink