Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
damn batt issue
Hey all

After disconnecting my old style battery over the winter and gave it a charge (the bolt on type) ive recently hooked it back up and what is happening is basicly itll start, but the next time i try to start itll just go dead and its like theres no batt power at all, till i try tightening the bolt again and then it kicks in, till i try to switch on the engine again, rinse and repeat a million times.

Anyway im thinking i might need a new battery, maybe with post convertors and get a decent one? if so anyone reccomend a good (cheapish) batt and post convertors? thanks
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Hey Mike

Are you sure this is not just corroded contacts?

Also, give it a proper deep charge. Leave it on charge for a couple of days continuously and see if that makes a difference.

If you want to get a cheap replacement, go to a scrappy and get the biggest bat that will fit in the hole - they should do a short circuit test to see if it's OK. Will cost you about £25 quid.
The last one I got was a Sierra battery about four years ago, still going strong Mr Green

I believe there are battery details in the parts section...?

<edit>Yes, here you go: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=794 </edit>
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Hi Mike, Make sure the terminals are tight on the battery or fuse number 7 could melt in the fuse box. I recommend putting a fuse extender for it, if it hasn't already gone. - top/middle of the block.
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Thanks. The contacts aren't corroded at all, in very good condition. When it first started i left it on charge for a few days and since connecting it back up its started doing this. Thanks for the fuse tip Stuart, ill check it tommorow, hopefully it hasn't melted, lol
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Also check for amp drain these cars take power sometimes when doing nothing (doors I think) thats why most have a battery disconnector thingy! I include mine in this!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Also check for amp drain these cars take power sometimes when doing nothing (doors I think) thats why most have a battery disconnector thingy! I include mine in this!

Chris

+1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BATTERY-CUT-OFF-SW...53dbe6fc35

[Image: !Bhr!k7QBWk~$(KGrHqEH-CEEsZidQOLHBLKQ,bcy7Q~~_12.JPG]

This is the type I use, very easy to install as you don't have to mount it to anything just one end on the battery terminal and the other end you clamp you original cable to simple.

You simply twiddle the knob a couple of turns to disconnect/connect the battery, great for car shows, no key to forget or loose and costs peanuts, I've had mine installed since day 1 (10years ago now!)

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
ooo nice, cheap and easy, perfect Smile I think i will be getting one of them to stop that drain over winter.
DOC 527
Vin #10264
Stuart Rees Wrote:Hi Mike, Make sure the terminals are tight on the battery or fuse number 7 could melt in the fuse box.

Flopsy's been there, done that......... (but then again what hasnt been fubar on my car
at some point in its life.... lol )
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I had this problem on mine-cause was dodgy connection on the + battery clamp, cleaning the battery post and the clamp connector back to bright metal sorted it out. 8)
#10556 'Ol Stainless' running surprisingly well,Audi A5 2.0T Quattro smug as usual,Wenault Slaguna stationary for the mo',the R.V.Enterprise clocking the U.K.miles up,new fleet addition-Jessica the Daewoo Matiz,silly but 55mpg....!