Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gutted to be leaving
My work has broken some news to me.

I'm being pulled out of Glasgow in January.

I've been living mostly, and working ALL the time, in Glasgow for the last 3.5 years on the Type 45 project with my company.

My boss has broken the news to me recently that i'm being put on another project long term....in..... (are you ready for this!?....)

South Korea!

This will be amazing for every reason except the following: (I'm doing this using this format to save on time typing)

1. Instead of renewing the TAX and M.O.T for LEX in January / February time, i'll have to SORN her for the time-being! :-( (needless to say i'm going to make the most of enjoying her over my xmas and new year hols starting this Friday afternoon)
2. My big plans of spending lots of time next year doing her up and starting to take her to meet with you guys, and possibly take her to a couple of car shows....wiped out in one sweep. double :-(
3. This makes it all the more difficult for me to find a nice Scottish (Or English) girlfriend and start the settling down stage of my life to start adding more and more members to this club! :-( (with a hint of :-D )

Unfortunately, I have no choice in the matter except for leaving my job of course (which this may lead me to doing, depending on how i feel a bit later down the line), which is unfortunate as its the job which has afforded me to buy LEX in the first place!

So...what i'm trying to say is, i'm still hopeful for seeing people next year, and for getting more work done to LEX too; its just that it has just become that bit more difficult for me to do....but....never say never eh!?

(Martin, i'm still hoping to bring LEX down to see you for my new steering rack sometime next year, all-be-it, i'm not sure when now!?)
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
ayup, now that is a bummer........ and what a choice you'd have to make. I wouldnt like
to be in your shoes.

Well, make the most of the time you have here, tear up some tarmac, have fun, and I guess
we'll see you when you are back from SK - any idea how long they want you to be out there
for?

If you get any time off, you could always get a DeLorean fix in Hong Kong from John Tien Smile

Good luck mate,
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Rissy Wrote:3. This makes it all the more difficult for me to find a nice Scottish (Or English) girlfriend and start the settling down stage of my life to start adding more and more members to this club! :-( (with a hint of :-D )

Hey, what's wrong with a nice South Korean girlfriend?! Big Grin

Seriously though, if you can make the rest of your life work around it, it's amazing experience to work abroad for a bit (as long as it's not so long it affects your general life plans...)

Hope you can work it all out...

Cheers

Gez
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I wouldn't worry too much about going to South Korea, I lived there for nearly two years 2003/4 and it is an experience that you should grab. Seoul, where I lived, is a vibrant city and the people are friendly. Most important it is a safe city where one can travel on the metro late on a Saturday evening and feel completely safe. I do not think there are any Deloreans in the country though one was briefly imported from the UK to be exhibited in a classic motor show. Of course all the cars there are Korean and mainly silver, white or black, the Koreans have an aversion to any other colour car.

Travelling around on the roads is pretty exiting as none of the road signs are comprehensible, nobody outside of Seoul speaks English and the sat navs are all in Korean. Many times I was hopelessly lost but eventually would see a landmark to re-establish my bearings. The driving standard is very high, much different to where I am currently living, Abu Dhabi. We have just had the first rains of the winter and on a section of road which has just opened to traffic had 20 accidents in one day!!

Korean women are very attractive but very ambitious! I will say no more.

Remember if you arrive in S Korea before 5th April any of your earnings if you stay until 5th April 2011 will be UK tax free as long as you do not spend more than 93 days in the UK during the tax year. You must be out of the country with a contract of employment for a complete tax year.

If you want any information about living in South Korea or tax issues whilst overseas send me a private e mail and I can respond.

Finally I cannot contemplate not seizing the opportunity, you must go with an open mind and enjoy the change in culture and life style. Glasgow will be there in 2 years time!!

Best Regards
Michael Hooper
...thanks for your kind, reassuring words.

If i was going to Seoul, i would feel a LOT happier, but unfortunately, i'll either be in Busan, or Ulsan, i think.

I am loosley aware of the tax rules, but am going to do some boning up over my hols. I thought you just had to be out of the country on the dates you mention, and in the country less than 90 days in between, but if you also HAVE to have a contract for the ENTIRE year (or even just for the two financial dates), then i might be struggling, as there is no certainty i'll be in Korea the whole time. I'm just starting off there, but will most likely have requirements to go to other places too, basically jumping around all over the far east.

...I'm trying to remain positive.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
I'm with Mary on this, sieze the day, get the most out of life.

Sooner than you think you will be retiring like I did last week and you will spend more time looking back than forward......nice to have a heap of experiences tolook back on.

A mate of mine has just got back from North Vietnam where he has had a brilliant long holiday.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Egads! Tough decision!

My place keep mentioning Singapore "Just for a year or two", but there's no way, I'd sooner quit my job and learn a trade!!

Then again, I do know people who have worked abroad for a short period and loved it!
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
jerzybondov Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:3. This makes it all the more difficult for me to find a nice Scottish (Or English) girlfriend and start the settling down stage of my life to start adding more and more members to this club! :-( (with a hint of :-D )

Hey, what's wrong with a nice South Korean girlfriend?! Big Grin

Seriously though, if you can make the rest of your life work around it, it's amazing experience to work abroad for a bit (as long as it's not so long it affects your general life plans...)

Hope you can work it all out...

Cheers

Gez

When I worked for a big American multi-national we had a lot of guys go abroad to diffrent plants.
I know that one of the lads that went to Brazil came back with a great girlfriend now wife.
Why not take the D' to South Korea? I guess you can keep it on British plates for a year. Pretty cool like the TVR in "Swordfish" in the US on Blackpool plates :wink: .

Nick H
DOC 650
Jaguar X-Type
Range Rover Sport SDV6 "Rufus" (Mrs H's motor)
DeLorean DMC 12 Vin#2862

My other hobby...
http://www.lccuk.org.uk/
...and use it as an opportunity to learn some TaeKwonDo. South Korea has one of the lowest rates of street crime in the world because all the kids are black belts by the age of 12 (IIRC). I love the idea of shipping the DeLorean out there for 12 months on British plates.

I'm sure Lex will survive whatever you decide - it certainly survived 15+ years parked in a field - a year in Korea is nothing....! :wink:
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
you'll be supprised how quickly the time will go, i've spent the last 3yrs in Australia without my car apart from 3 trips back home.
dont worry the time will soon pass!!....also i have a mate who lives in south korea and works as an english teacher, she loves it there.
Regards

Craig

doc246
vin 2927
reg ex uk IIL 3335
reg oz BTTF
has it really been 3 years Craig!!!!! Jeez, didnt think it had been that long! Shock
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
I know,scary init!!!!!! Shock
Regards

Craig

doc246
vin 2927
reg ex uk IIL 3335
reg oz BTTF
...I've finally been given a time now. I'm being told i'm leaving the UK in the first week in February, so i've got 2 weeks to get my affairs sorted out before then.

Due to the awful weather in Edinburgh (everywhere i guess), i've not had LEX out since November now, and its unlikely i'll get her out of the garage before i leave either. :-( She'll be lapsing on her current valid M.O.T within the next 6 weeks, and my Dad will be SORNing her for me in February when the Road Tax info comes through the post. ...So, there she'll lie, dorment, in the garage, until i return to the UK to get her rolling again, most likely some time in May or June....hopefully.

My dad has agreed to start her up and run her until nice and warm once a month for me, and if weather is permitting, drive here slowly up and down the driveway a few times once a month or so just to try and keep her loosened up. That's the most I can do for her. Any advice form people to stop things like fuel pump rot (god knows why THAT happens in the first place!) etc, then please, let me know. The plan is to try and keep less than 1/6th of fuel in her tank while away. I'm not really up for draining fluid from any of her systems.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
don't just go up and down the drive, do a couple of hundred yards, that way you won't get flat spots on the tyres. Other thn that, just use it enough to prevent the fuel going stagnant.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
...The tyres are kept well pumped up, maybe even slightly over inflated while she;s sitting still, and the garage floor has been been padded with soft spongy garage flooring to try and prevent flat spots. Hopefully, that should all work well....
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):