Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deloreans on eBay - worth it or not?
I'm seriously considering buying a D from the US and importing it back here, it just looks like it will be the only way I can ever afford one.

If I did get one, I'd need some help, so if anyone has imported one i'd appreciate any tips on the best way to go about the whole process.

Anyway, have been browsing eBay.com and found these, would you go for any of them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

(probably not so much this one just due to the price, but if he'd take an extremely lower offer who knows Tongue)
VIN# 04708, Grey interior, 5 speed, October 1981
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
I bought one off eBay and imported it pretty much exactly this time last year - have a look at this thread as I posted essentially a similar question and then went ahead and did it!

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtop...=14&t=2534

As for advice on the import process, there's quite a bit in that thread but I summed up my experiences (and the process) here relatively recently, including info on the tax issues - take a look:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/v...f=13&t=317

As for those cars on eBay, can't say any of those are winners necessarily. The one up at $20k, Vin 6460 was up for sale when I was buying my car last year - I think at perhaps at bit more. But it's been on sale solidly for a year, and that's not a good sign.

Vin 4500 could be OK, but you'll need a hell of a lot more info before making the leap on that one. Pics of the frame as well as detailed info on how the car runs, what's been replaced and what hasn't. If there aren't records of that then spending $17,900 would be risky.

I think VIN 6116 is way overpriced at $28k. For that money you should be able to either get a concours car, or one that has had every conceivable update and just about everything replaced. I think actually people have even bought 2nd hand DMCH new builds for that much. And again, if you're even thinking about spending $20k or more then you need a LONG, LONG list of the work that's been done to the car and the love that's been put into it.

Don't be suckered with 'as new' and 'mint' descriptions going with cars that have been covered and garaged for 28 years - those cars aren't worth high (or even) mid twenties Smile

My advice would be to spend a bit of time on dmctalk - see which members there are selling their cars. If you're importing a car from the States and paying $15k or more, you really need to know what you're getting. If you're paying sub $10k it gives you a bit more leeway to put things right over here, but be aware it is a slightly risky business!

Good luck... Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Thanks for the info Smile

I have emailed the seller of VIN 4500 for some additional information on the car and pics of the frame, hopefully the results will be promising. So for the moment I need to wait, and do some reading.
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Mike
there are two cars at present for sale in the Uk, It may well be worth looking at these as they are both very good cars and at least you know what your buying.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
jerzybondov Wrote:The one up at $20k, Vin 6460 was up for sale when I was buying my car last year

Ooooo 3 vins away from mine Big Grin
VIN: 6511
This really tells me a lot....
Quote:Dear mikeward2001,

I will try and get pictures of the frame today. The vehicle runs great! It
was a recent trade-in. The vehicle has gone through our shops inspection
and everything checked out.

If you can send me an email I will send you
a video of the vehicle starting/running.
Thanks,
Cam

-harrisonimports801
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Doesn't it just? :roll:

The problem with a dealer is that he may not have all the receipts for the work that has (or hasn't) been done on the car. It might start up fine from cold and run fine on the spot, but what about hot start problems? Semi-hot start problems (like with the accumulator). Pulling above 4k rpm problems when driving (like with Stu Rees' ex car)? Then obviously you might have dodgy brakes, overheating problems etc etc etc.

Of course you might not have any of this, but it's a risk Smile

If you do decide to go for this one and the dealer isn't forthcoming with these kind of details - I'd post up on dmctalk and see if you could persuade a nearby knowledgeable member to go and take a look for a moderate fee. It would be money well spent...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
If a seller isn't prepared to cooperate with all the info you ask for, no matter how tempting the car is, my advice is walk away. There will be anothe rone along before you know it.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I'm by no means in a rush to dive straight in and buy one, so i'm perfectly happy to sit and wait until the right one comes along.

An absolute must have for me though is that it must have a manual gearbox, and should ideally have a grey interior, and a grooved hood (no gas flap).

At the moment I have around £10k in my DeLorean fund, but could stretch a little higher, and the fund always gets some cash added to it each month. Though as you see this puts me out of reach of buying a UK car where prices are at £17k +
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
Well the spec you're after is the easiest to find, so that will make life slightly easier. You're basically after a vin between about 2000 and 7199 with a manual gearbox. Most of those have grey interiors I think too - the black ones tend to be the early cars.

As for your budget, £10k will buy you a $12k car and ship it over, pay the VAT, get basic UK spec modifications done (just). That's if it's a driver, can go RO/RO and is on the East coast already. Otherwise your $ budget drops. You should be able to get a rough-ish driver for $12k, but don't expect it not to need work when you get it!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Thanks, it's all food for thought. As I said I don't need to dive head long in to have one now, I can let the fund accumulate more until I find the right car, and I'm not averse to doing any work either, so it doesn't need to be in pristine condition. I know not to expect it to be problem free, as I have read on multiple sites, there is no such thing as a cheap DeLorean, most will need work of some type or another.

Thanks for all the help/advice/pointers, it is appreciated Smile
DOC 649
ex DOC 562
If I may make a couple of suggestions:

Skip a car listed with a dealer - they typically have no knowledge of D's and will swear it looks like it's mint and straight from the factory (not that a private seller won't either). They are just inventory to them and they don't understand the "challenges" that make the car fun. Big Grin

Like Gez says, check out dmctalk.com, do a search on there for the last 4/5 digits of the vin. You may be lucky and find some threads referencing the car you are interested in. If you are serious about a particular car, appeal to one of the members to go look at it for you in person. I'm in Atlanta and would help you out in this area, but remember the states are quite large and there simply may not be anyone close by.

good luck
Dermot
ex-Dunmurryite
vin 2743
Apprently VAT is going back up to 17.5% at the start of next year - they kept that quiet, eh!
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
There is a car soon to be available in the uk, unfortinately ( can someone tell me how to turn my spellchecker on please) its a black int Auto, MOT'd but needs seat covers and a little tyding up. £14 asking. Contact me for details and I'll send you picks and put you in touch with the owner.

Better than a stab in dark US ebay punt...in my opinion. history@deloreans.co.uk
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Hi Chris, sorry for the late response, Auto box is a deal breaker sadly, but if you know of any others that will becoming available that fit my bill let me know.

On another note, I've been hounding Gez (a lot) lately, with questions. To cut a long story short he suggested I look over at dmctalk for a D, and having found one suitable, I set about asking the necessary questions regarding what work had or hadn't been done to the car, which I'm fine with.

The pictures of the frame which the guy messaged me with today I passed onto Gez, judging by the pictures, he suspects the car may have had some frame repairs carried out in the past (see pic 3), but suggested I post the link to the pictures here for a second opinion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/CBacco/DeoreanUnder

Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks, Mike
DOC 649
ex DOC 562