Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front bumper removal
I need some help.

I want to take my left wing off, and i can see i have to remove the front bumper, and seemingly, the side skirting along the bottom of the door. First stage. Front bumper. Any clues? I've taken off a few fixtures already, and it feels as though the top is ready to come away. but its still being held in position at the bottom, where the front spoiler is (which im presuming i will also have to remove).

Has anyone got pics or some detailing on where the front bumper is held in place to the bodywork?

Also, with the side skirting, is it just the screws in the bottom i have to remove, or does it get quite elaborate too? (I have a feeling i'm gonna be told i have to remove the doorsill with "DMC" on it!?)

I have a feeling i'll be asking for some assistance for the rear bumper too at some point. So watch this space. lol!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Although a long time since i did mine, from memory i had to remove the bonnet (cant remember why) and all the lights. Along the top back underneath edge of the facia there is a long bar with studs on that has to be got at from 'inside' the facia. This slides into a groove on the inside of the facia (you can just see this along the front edge of the bonnet) I think this was the difficult bit. The rest is held on with screws/captive bolts Etc (same as the rear) it's just a case of trying to find them all.
Chris

ps; Found a picture clearly i did not remove the bonnet! sorry about the size but it may help a bit.[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Thats a good pic Chris. thanks. Not sure it helps me though. "long bar" ...? thats confused me a bit.

I've already removed the all lights from the bumper, AND the black housings which hold them (you left yours in).

I've removed SOME screws and nuts from underneath on the inside of the bumper (lying on the ground to try and see them)

I've removed the screws from directly underneath the bonnet (where you have to open the bonnet to even see them)

Does the bumper AND the spoiler (with grill) all come off together, or do you have to separate these first?? (have been trying to separate these so far...)

incidentally, you see in your pic, it shows the front indicator lights hanging down from their native homes....where can i get one of those plastic housings which hold the lamp, and turn and fix into the lense when you put it all back together. The white plastic clip bits (also seen in your pic) have been broken in mine and i'd like to replace them.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Long Bar...mmm, Looking along the front edge of the bonnet you should be able to see a shallow bar sort of this shape; !_______! this slides in a channel in the underside of the facia. This has studs on that tighten down in the gap behind the headlights.
The Grill is seperate from the front spoiler and is held on with small nuts and bolts (from memory.
I had the lights out as I was doing the turn flash modification, I'm sure the clips would be available from the likes of 'woolies' trim supplies.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Still dunno about this bar?

This is where i've got to so far:
[Image: 16102009039.jpg]

This is why i need the front wing off in the first place. there are several looking like this on the one side. not even thinking about the other side right now!
[Image: 16102009041.jpg]

Does this lower part of the bumper (the front spoiler containing the grille) come off separate from the headlight surround part?
[Image: 16102009042.jpg]

This is a pic of the lamp clip thing im on about... can i get a replacement? you'll see from this pic that one part of the white plastic is completely missing and its obviously been cracked and broken...
[Image: 16102009043.jpg]
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Item I'm talking about is no20

Lower spoiler is attached all along it's edge with small nuts 8 or 10mm I think.

Not sure if you can get a replacement bulb holder, however looking at the wiring it's probably had the side light/flash modification done so you could use a single filament bulb and holder.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Front indicators are available with loom, although you need to pay attention to where the connection to the halo has been spliced.

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6898-fr ... -assy.aspx

Front fascia: you don't need to remove it to remove the wing, just heft it forward far enough to get at the screws holding the leading edge of the wing. Firstly you need to remove the bonnet and get access to the line of screws along the top wich you can see but not access when the bonnet is in place. The critical part then is there's a stud which will NOT have a nut on it that goes in sideways from the end, around the middle of the black part of the bumper. You need to be brave and lever the outer edge of the fascia out using a wide bladed screwdriver. It'll go pop and suddenly fall forwards.

You did not need to remove your headlight buckets, and they'll be a pain to put back, especially the tension springs.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Quote:You did not need to remove your headlight buckets, and they'll be a pain to put back, especially the tension springs.

Tell me about it :oops:

Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
stunned_monkey Wrote:Front indicators are available with loom, although you need to pay attention to where the connection to the halo has been spliced.

http://www.delorean.com/store/p-6898-fr ... -assy.aspx

Front fascia: you don't need to remove it to remove the wing, just heft it forward far enough to get at the screws holding the leading edge of the wing. Firstly you need to remove the bonnet and get access to the line of screws along the top wich you can see but not access when the bonnet is in place. The critical part then is there's a stud which will NOT have a nut on it that goes in sideways from the end, around the middle of the black part of the bumper. You need to be brave and lever the outer edge of the fascia out using a wide bladed screwdriver. It'll go pop and suddenly fall forwards.

You did not need to remove your headlight buckets, and they'll be a pain to put back, especially the tension springs.

Thanks forgetting involved here M, i was struggling to describe myself properly without the use of photos.

According to the exploded view above, i dont think no.20 is even on my car any more!?

Along the top, under the edge of the bonnet, there are no screws left take out. See photo:

[Image: 16102009045.jpg]

I know ive got a couple of bolts (one on either side of the car) to get off right behind the front wheel arch which connects the spoiler to the wing where i've taken this photo:
[Image: 16102009047.jpg]

I can only get the front bumper pulled forward this much so far (still held low down somewhere!?) :
[Image: 16102009046.jpg]

while im at it....is it possible to get a new lamp holder like this for the side markers? (i can't believe i would have to buy a whole new front indicator just to get the white plastic bit im after in the previous photo!?)

[Image: 16102009048.jpg]

On the topic of the front air intake grille. The photo below shows one of the bolts holding it on to the front spoiler. this is the only one i've not got off yet....it spins and spins and spins....but doesn't come out. why? is it bolted on the other side where i can't get at it, or is it in an insert like a rivet nut which is just spinning?
[Image: 16102009049.jpg]
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Got it!

See:

[Image: 17102009055.jpg]

Really needed to get it up off the ground. No way you can do it with it sitting on its wheels!

BUT. I think i'm gonna have to abandon ship. There is still no way i'm gonna get the left wing off without damaging stuff, and ruining screws etc. The screws along the bottom of the side skirt just do NOT wanna budge! I'm gonna end up rounding off the top of the screws if i persevere with them. (pictured belowSmile
[Image: 17102009060.jpg]

Besides, I've been looking at the top where i was wanting to do something with the rusted screws in the (M5 rivet nuts?) and there's NO way i'm gonna EVER get these out! One of the (M5 rivet nuts) is actually spinning quite easily in the plastic body of the car, which means i'm gonna have to rip it out "somehow" and then replace with a newer, bigger one (as im sure i would leave a big whole by pulling out the original)

I think i'm biting off more than i can chew. I think if i kept going, there is no way, with my working schedule, i'd ever have the car back together again for its MOT in February!

This exercise has let me see how much of the cars fixings have rusted away (at least in the front) I think i'm gonna have to order some of these bumper fixing plate screws thing-me-bobs from the EU Delorean guy Martin put a link to earlier in this thread as mine have all rusted away to nothing and in all but one case, when i was taking the bumper off, the screw threads just sheared off due to rust!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
These cars do this, wait till you try and get the bottom of the washer bottle housing off :wink:
Most fixings come out eventually or broken, I just rplace everything with S/Steel Nuts/nylocs & screws. All available from Screwix at a good price!
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:These cars do this, wait till you try and get the bottom of the washer bottle housing off :wink:
Most fixings come out eventually or broken, I just rplace everything with S/Steel Nuts/nylocs & screws. All available from Screwix at a good price!
Chris

yup yup yup. learning that one hala-loo-ya! :-D lol!

I tried actually to get the washer bottle housing off today. It was down to the last screw, which JUST...WOULD...NOT....BUDGE!!! so i left it alone. I've got a bunch of wires disappearing in there (why i wanted the housing off....to see what it was, and where it went) does anyone know what they're for? where do they go?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Not sure anything goes in there other than the power for the washer pump. So long as there are decent size holes in the bottom for drainage it should be OK.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Not sure anything goes in there other than the power for the washer pump. So long as there are decent size holes in the bottom for drainage it should be OK.
Chris

Yeah the tub had a few holes in it. Are you saying that this fills up with water (potentially) due to presumably, rain, rather than screen wash water? My tub was a bit dodgily held in place with two screws, now its a bit better since today's (whole day!) little destruction/exploration/reassembling exercise (or should i call it "the bail out"? lol!) I have to presume that there is a wash bottle within the tub!??!??..... yeah?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Well spotted :oops:

The side marker lenses are indeed BA9's not MES although would it be a disaster to replace them with MES bulbs? :?
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk