Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firebombing
Just a quick blast of necessary parts questioning for people...

Spark plugs? What do i need? Something in an NGK, or Bosch perhaps. I need part number(s).

I've just bought K&N part no. 33-2726 to replace the current, really dirty paper air filter. Do I need to do any mods to it to make it fit the resonator when it arrives in the post, hopefully tomorrow.? (I bought this as i was struggling to get a hold of a paper one, no other boyracer reasons)

Has anyone ever used injector cleaner on their PRV6 before? Is it ok to use? (the stuff you simply pour into your petrol tank with petrol and then drive with to clean)

Oil filter? What model/maker/part number/or other car description?

Does the D have a cabin filter which perhaps could do with a change?

Is it possible to find a cold air intake assembly for my car? right now she's drawing the hot air from the engine bay as there is nothing connecting the resonator to the passenger side cold air intake on the side of the car. Its just the section which resides IN the engine bay that is missing.

Does the drivers side cold air intake go anywhere interesting? Can't see where it goes to, apart from inside the bodywork somewhere!??!?

I think i'll need to take some photos for the other questions i have for those of you in the know. :-)

Cheers! lol!

A good "beginners" list of parts etc would be good on this site.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Hi

Plugs; Bosch HR 6 DC. K&N will just fit as a replacement.. Injector cleaner.....mmmm I think the jury's out on that one some think it's good others think it bad! as in it cleans dirt and gum that then blocks the injectors. I use it myself but I have also have had bad reports.
No Cabin filter, Oil filter cross reference is on the forum as are most part numbers.
The air pipe dissapears into the body tub O/S rear, best way to show it and also to improve it is;
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4935

Hope this helps

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
I gave Jay a new air filter for the car... looks like he forgot about it. I have a genuine Renault one here.

Bosch HR6DC or whatever the cross match is.

Don't go anywhere near injector cleaner, it does not need it, and had new injectors in 2003ish. The CPR was rebuilt and the metering head came off a running Volvo 260.

The cold air intake hose is a good idea, but at the end of the day, at 3000rpm, the engine is in theory gobbling 71 litres of air every second. I really don't think it hangs around long enough to heat up and the DeLorean has a very open, superbly ventilated bay.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Chris Williams Wrote:Hi

Plugs; Bosch HR 6 DC. K&N will just fit as a replacement.. Injector cleaner.....mmmm I think the jury's out on that one some think it's good others think it bad! as in it cleans dirt and gum that then blocks the injectors. I use it myself but I have also have had bad reports.
No Cabin filter, Oil filter cross reference is on the forum as are most part numbers.
The air pipe dissapears into the body tub O/S rear, best way to show it and also to improve it is;
http://www.dmctalk.com/showthread.php?t=4935

Hope this helps

Chris

Cheers to both of you.

About the air intake pipe... I've seen these pics before, and know about the side of the car these show. It was the other side, the left side of the engine bay which i'm confused about. Does the air intake on that side, also get routed through the tubs, round inbetween the passenger bay and the engine bay, and meet up with the other air intake on the right hand side? ....or something?

Also, is there a good solution of parts someone can recommend if one doesn't have an original air intake pipework assembly, like me? I've noticed from pics on the net, that the original seems to split into two directions, one into the resonator, and the other goes downwards at the resonator!? (but where, i don't know?)

It would be good to get a hold of an original assembly, but i'm sure that will be near impossible these days! (or cost a bundle! lol!) So i was thinking of "lashing" something up myself. Gives me another thing to have a play with. :-) I guess i could start with some 3" wide flexible hose, and start from there....

Cheers for the heads up on the injector cleaner. I'll leave that alone then. J never gave me a new air filter, so possibly, that IS the one that is in the car already1? It is VERY dirty! soaked in oil and grot! I'll see how my new K&N does if it arrives today. I WOULD have preferred a paper one, but now, since i've paid my money...

I'll look out these spark plugs. See if Halfords or somewhere else does them. I have a place called Pentland Components down the road from where the car is, so maybe also try there.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
most independent motor factors will sell you the service items alot cheaper then Halfrauds
in my experience. As Chris said, there is a huge parts cross reference section on here that
DOC-UK members have spent many years researching and adding to as parts have been found.

On a similar vein to injector cleaner, also avoid like the plague those fuels with 'cleaners' in
them, like BP Ultimate and the one that Total sell. Like injector cleaner, all they do is force
any particles of muck into the injectors, and block them up.

I know of at least 2 cars that were affected by these fuels, and they went from running ok
to running like bags of ****.
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Rissy Wrote:About the air intake pipe... I've seen these pics before, and know about the side of the car these show. It was the other side, the left side of the engine bay which i'm confused about. Does the air intake on that side, also get routed through the tubs, round inbetween the passenger bay and the engine bay, and meet up with the other air intake on the right hand side? ....or something?

There is no intake on the left, that hole is fake and on later cars is used for the electric aerial to sprout out. You have one of the extremely rare original windscreen printed aerials.

The original assembly on the intake on the right is crap and everyne not fussed about concours throws it away. It's designed to route intake air over the exhaust manifold to aid in a speedier warmup, but the flap that does this is awfully restrictive. I removed the manifold heat stove when I did the exhaust gaskets way back in 2001.

Anyone running the stainless system has to get rid of it too because it doesn't fit to anything.

Quote:Also, is there a good solution of parts someone can recommend

www.delorean.com
www.specialtauto.com
www.pjgrady.com

Quote:It would be good to get a hold of an original assembly, but i'm sure that will be near impossible these days! (or cost a bundle! lol!) So i was thinking of "lashing" something up myself. Gives me another thing to have a play with. :-) I guess i could start with some 3" wide flexible hose, and start from there....

That's not a bad idea at all. However John Hervey of Specialtauto has found a hose with the correct elbow etc.

Quote:I'll look out these spark plugs. See if Halfords or somewhere else does them. I have a place called Pentland Components down the road from where the car is, so maybe also try there.

Those plugs are about as vanilla flavoured as they get. BTW the last change was shortly before Jay bought the car form me. I'm not sure what mileage he has done in the meantime. As you'll notice, you have red HT leads - they were new genuine bougicords a few years ago. Original replacement stock were red, they're quite rare now.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
Rissy Wrote:I'll look out these spark plugs. See if Halfords or somewhere else does them. I have a place called Pentland Components down the road from where the car is, so maybe also try there.

I've got these on mine - work a treat, and a bargain...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SPARK-PLUGS-FITS- ... 500wt_1070
VIN 7176
DOC 643
You're absolutely not wrong, but it does say only 4 available Mr Green
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
spark plugs- bosch platinum plus fours!
Got mine from hervey and my car has never run better
SCEDT26T9BD005902