Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo Upgrade parts
At some point I want to change to the Volvo dizzy and metering head, at the same time Ill probably get a performance exhaust to up the power a bit. At the moment its completely standard, which is fine just now but I do want a bit more power in a few months or so. I think Ill go for the performance exhaust from the place in nottingham that a few others have, is anyone doing a group buy again soon? The price they were at the end of last year was good!!

Can anyone tell me exactly what parts/part numbers I need for the volvo items and where is the best place to get them? Also once I have fitted the volvo dizzy and metering head how do I go about setting up? I assume I'll need to set the fuel pressure? Is there anything else? CO adjustments?

Thanks!
I can't help with part numbers but there's a place in Derby called VolSaa engineering who have a vast stock of secondhand Volvo (And Saab) parts. 01332 291320. Very helpful when I wanted an alternator. (though they couldn't actually help in the end)
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Might be some info in this thread of mine that's useful...!

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/viewtop...lvo#p25190
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Hang fire on the exhaust, as the DOC-UK will be speaking to another company in the UK
shortly about these, and its possible that we may be able to get them cheaper then the
place in Notts - I just need to arrange to get my car down to the company so that they can
price up a system for us, then I can let people know a bit more info.

I've got the Volvo upgrade on my car - its a bit more pokey, but not blisteringly quick, and
tbh, I wish with hindsight I'd not wasted so much money having it done, as I've still got issues
with the running and fueling to this day. RichH has pretty much the same set up as me, and
he got his bits from a scrapyard for £10 - and you can imagine how gutted I was, having spent
literally hundreds, when RichH beat me (by 3/10ths sec) at Santa Pod.... :evil: (but I'm up
for a rematch at some point! lol :lol: ) Also, my 1981 disintegrated pea-shooter equipped
back box was changed for a much nicer '83 version that I bought off Dan Shane in 2006.

Cheapest upgrade tbh is to de-cat the car (if its still got its catalyst), and change the dizzy
for a Volvo one.

If you want, have a go in my car when you come to GKN and see what difference you notice
between yours and mine Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Thanks.
So is it ok to just change the dizzy and leave the fueling alone? To be honest it does run really well, it must have been set up recently as Ive not got any issues at all with the K-jet (touch wood).
I may just leave the standard feuling for now and just change the dizzy then, is it the whole dizzy I change or just the cap for a 760 one? Can I make any alterations to the fuel pressure or co to get them to volvo spec but leave the metering head I have already in place, would it make any difference. This is the first K-jet engine ive ever worked on!

Do you know if the new exhaust will include headers like the one from the place in notts? Id like a full system really.

I'll have a look at your car at GKN, that would be great.
ayup Phil,

I'm just trying to remember back, but to be honest, my car ran like a bag of cr4p when it
was first got running again (I bought mine as a spares or repairs basket case), so everything
was messed about with to try and get it to run half decently.

RichH is coming to GKN, so he'd be able to enlighten you further on the best methods of
tweaking your car - however, you say it runs nice (and Scott told me your car looks the
mutts nuts too), so I'd be inclined to follow the old adage that if it aint broke....... Wink

The exhaust *should* include the headers and stuff, but this is something we'll discuss
with them when we go to see them.

You are more then welcome to have a look at the set up on my car (and I'm sure Rich will
oblidge with his car too) when we see you in a few weeks. Big Grin
phil349 Wrote:Thanks.
So is it ok to just change the dizzy and leave the fueling alone? To be honest it does run really well

If it runs sweet as a nut then don't mess with it!, ditch the cat and go from there ( I have a Stainless CAT Bypass pipe you can have for £20+P&P if you want it), it seems very hit and miss to get the Volvo gear to run right on the DeLorean engine.

If you do go the Volvo route make sure you get the venturi for the injection system, not just the metering head as the Volvo one is bigger than the DeLorean venturi and if you change the metering head without the bigger venturi then you'll never get the fuel-to-air ratio right and it will run like crap.

Just my 2p as a so-called 'Volvo upgraded' DMC owner

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
Quote:Hang fire on the exhaust, as the DOC-UK will be speaking to another company in the UK
shortly about these, and its possible that we may be able to get them cheaper then the
place in Notts - I just need to arrange to get my car down to the company so that they can
price up a system for us, then I can let people know a bit more info

It will be interesting to see if they can match the system that is currently offered by http://www.stainless-exhaust.com, with this sort of specification.

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/whoWeAre.htm

Be sure to check the grade of stainless they use, some others use a different grade which rusts over time.

I know that people did look at Ed's but the price and the welded bends put them off.

Also Don at Stainless Exhausts has been very supportive to the whole DeLorean community, and a great deal of research and testing went into the design.
He has carried on the deal price right the way through, sadly steel prices have meant an increase, but only just over 10% and they are still a lot lower than 2/3 yrs ago.

More here on the current pricing.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/shop/carparts/index.html
I have volvo gear on my car. If yours is running well in stock form then I would personally leave it alone. Its a bit of a hassle to set up the volvo bits and for the extra power you will gain its not worth it. You will only notice the difference if your thrashing it anyway.
VIN: 6511
A Van Wrote:
Quote:Hang fire on the exhaust, as the DOC-UK will be speaking to another company in the UK

It will be interesting to see if they can match the system that is currently offered by http://www.stainless-exhaust.com, with this sort of specification.

http://www.stainless-exhaust.com/whoWeAre.htm

Be sure to check the grade of stainless they use, some others use a different grade which rusts over time.

I know that people did look at Ed's but the price and the welded bends put them off.

Also Don at Stainless Exhausts has been very supportive to the whole DeLorean community, and a great deal of research and testing went into the design.
He has carried on the deal price right the way through, sadly steel prices have meant an increase, but only just over 10% and they are still a lot lower than 2/3 yrs ago.

Hi Alistair,

I'm not knocking Don's work, and I've also seen one of Ed's exhausts down at PJ Grady, and
there appeared to be issues with how it fits on the car. I have also though recently seen
one of Don's exhausts on a car, and the owner did not seem impressed with the fact that the
tailpipes had corroded and didnt look as nice as they did when the system first went on the
car.

I have become aware of this other company through another car club, and having heard good
things, thought they might be worth contacting.

We are interested in talking to them to see what they can do for the DeLorean, be it a complete
system or part system. AFAIK, Don has been doing the DeLorean stainless sytems for a
number of years, so its not as if this is something he has recently started doing. I would love
a stainless system, but I simply do not have over a grand lying around to spend out on one. Sad

Anyway, this is getting OT from Phil's original line of enquiry, so lets leave this discussion here.

Kind regards,
Quote:I think Ill go for the performance exhaust from the place in nottingham that a few others have, is anyone doing a group buy again soon? The price they were at the end of last year was good!!

Hi Claire

Phil's line of enquiry mentioned that he was thinking of investing in a performance exhaust, which is why you repllied that the DOC is looking at a manufacturer.

All I was doing was continuing that particular area of discussion hopefully to aid Phil in his decision, I wonder also if the owner you mention has discussed the problem with Don?, they pride themselves in not having any dissatisfied customers nor any exhausts returned!

Its a question of taste as to whether its worth polishing or not though.

Also I dont know where you have a price of over a grand from?

The price for a complete DeLorean freeflow unpolished stainless exhaust system as pictured below complete with headers/silencer etc and mentioned in the post and clarified today is

£728 plus vat = £837.
Best route to go down for the Volvo bits is to try and find a complete engine with all the parts attached, unfortunatly these are becoming harder to find in breakers yards and on the road. The dizzy cap is the same however the dizzy it's self is supposed to have a much better advance curve the part number is 0237 402 013 (Volvo 260) I have seen these crop up on Ebay now and again. But again if you can lift the whole lot (venturi/metering head/dizzy) then go for that but would also be worth getting the injectors as well.
Not sure on the exhust as yet. I dont run a performance one and running a volvo 260 engine get 152hp (flywheel) out of it. Unfortunatly no one has done a definitive of what changing things actually does. Does a posh £900 exhaust make a difference? It should, but there is no proof that it does as (ASFAIK) no one has done a before and after test. If I can afford one I will get one then run mine down to the guys that did that did the dyno runs and see.
Chris

Either way I would get shut of the Cat!
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Quote:Not sure on the exhust as yet. I dont run a performance one and running a volvo 260 engine get 152hp (flywheel) out of it. Unfortunatly no one has done a definitive of what changing things actually does. Does a posh £900 exhaust make a difference? It should, but there is no proof that it does as (ASFAIK) no one has done a before and after test. If I can afford one I will get one then run mine down to the guys that did that did the dyno runs and see.

Hi Chris

We have published the results on certain cars dyno'd at Eurotec this year.
One car as standard, one stock with exhaust etc...one with stock engine with Volvo fuelling and so forth, and of course one complete Volvo engine swap.
A Van Wrote:

I have to say I am very happy with the exhaust from Don, a nice sound/persormance beautifuly finished and for the amount of work that goes into them I think the price was very good too.

Not to confuse 'Cheap' with 'Good Value' but I'm sure there are other manufacturers out their that could make a version of the DMC exhaust, heck I looked into a few before I went with the Nottingham place, but I'd imagine that it will be hard to make much of a saving and still maintain the quality.

Far better to try and do what Alastair did last year and haggle a discount on a group purchase, I think I paid around £750 for mine, if you consider the labour time to hand bend & weld each tube and the cost of high grade stainless steel materials I think it's represents very good value for money.

I was after a cheap alternative but in the end I just saved up the dosh, joined the group buy and am very happy with the product.

Just my 2p

James
www.classicdelorean.com
Colchester - Essex - UK
oh dont get me wrong, I'm sure Don's exhausts are very nice, and I think in the early
days they were about a grand - I think Ed's are abit more? Cant remember where I
saw it now - baby brain fogging again! lol

*But* - what is wrong with looking at alternatives if they are out there? It was only
a suggestion based on recommendations from elsewhere. Even with your bulk buy price
of £750ish, which is a saving, it is still alot of money, and money alot of people havent got,
especially in these difficult economic times.

Anyway, its Phil's car, and his decision at the end of the day how he wants to modify it. He'll
have an opportunity at GKN to look at various different De's, and then he can decide from there
what he wants to do with his own car in the course of time.

Just my 2pth too Wink