Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Door lock solenoid?
Hi, I'm trying to figure out my passenger side door locks.
First problem is the front latch doesn't release unless you lock, unlock the doors. All the trim is off the door and I can see there is play in the whole switch, rod, bellhousing, solenoid system. The black switch in the door isn't as stiff as the driver side. If I press the switch to 'open' the latches release everytime, but when I close the door, the 'play' moves everything to lock the front latch. I can't see any screws to tighten anything up.
Secondly, the central locking locks the passenger side but it doesn't unlock it. I'm thinking solenoid although the locking action is quite strong when locking!
Does anyone have a spare solenoid to try? Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
have a word with RichH, he's a bit of an expert on sorting out door problems - he's
sucessfully diagnosed the problem with mine too - I had a JZD moment the other week
and got trapped in my car!! Shock Thankfully, the door launcher still just about works
on the passenger door, so I managed to get that one open, but I have to say, trying to
clamber over a centre console and out of a car whilst pregnant is not much fun! Sad
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Start off by disconnecting the linkage to the solenoid to see if it is working at all.

Also try connecting directly to the battery: disconnect the three way plug, blck wire connects to ground, then touch on positive to either side of the solenoid. You should get a powerful snap in each direction.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Okay, Disconnected the linkage and it does the same, locks (out) ok
but doesn't go the other way.
Tested the solenoid on a battery and it works like it should, back and forth.

Stu
DOC 116
VIN 6237
OK, that means you have either a duff door lock module, or you have a break in the wire between the module and the solenoid.

Does the drivers side work in both directions OK?

If it does, then you have a break in the wiring to your passenger side solenoid.

Prime candidates are the connector blocks under the T-Panel.

You have to remove the T-Panel to get at a small hatch in the section underneath it. In there are four connector blocks, two for each door.

You have to separate the connector blocks and give all the blades and sockets a good clean - they will be corroded with white powder.

Top tip, after you've done it, smear grease (not copper!) all over the connectors before pushing them back together, that will help keep moisture out and stop them corroding again.
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Thanks RichH! will have a look at the module and connectors tomorrow.
Cheers,
Stu Smile
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Ok, couldn't wait so went to play with the car.
Opened up the module by the fuse box, got in the p/s and closed the door, kept the drivers side door open just in case...
My seats are out anyway so I sat there manually touching the terminals, It locked fine but couldn't unlock, the solenoid arm would just shudder for a second.
Then I noticed that I could move the solenoid further back in the door, which allowed it to unlock the front latch :roll: , so I tightened it up and would you belive it, all is working, moving the terminals in the module again locked and Unlocked the door!
So I went to see if the central locking worked, turned the key in the drivers door and the passenger door now opens and closes as it should. Was it the position of the solenoid causing all that trouble??
I can sleep tonight now...
DOC 116
VIN 6237
Doh!!! :wink:

At least you got it sorted matey Smile
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie