Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coolant leak - I think!
Carl Hammond Wrote:OK Nick, only if you've got the time to spare matey, I don't want to put you out! Smile

I can rob my Dad's hose and I'm sure I can find a pressure washer from somewhere! :wink:

I will pay you back through the currency of beer!! Big Grin

Best regards

Carl

No probs, I will be there for the week anyway. Getting to play on a D is better than watching Hotel TV. Depending on how bad my foot is I may have to get you to undo a hose or two. Do you have drive on ramps?

If you get the "Norfolk massive" group together it shouldn't take long to change a rad in an evening. A mega flush for starts costs nothing though.

Nick
NickT Wrote:Do you have drive on ramps?

Umm, no I'm afraid I don't have drive on ramps mate, in fact apart from an original jack - I have nothing!

Time to invest in a trolley jack,axle stands or something right?

Let me know what we need and I'll do my best to source em matey!

Cheers

Best regards

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
VIN#11777 (don't ask!!) Sad
Norfolk
Chris Williams Wrote:Has Al still got any new ones? perhaps he would be good enough to loan you one to try and see if that helps?

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure mate, but I will certainly ask him. If it was just for testing purposes it would very useful. At least I can rule it out then, before blowing a load of money on a new rad!

If it's not that, it HAS to be an engine blockage, doesn't it?!?!?

All the best

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
RichH Wrote:One quick check you can do is when the engine is cold, open the coolant cap, start the engine and have a look at the jet of water just inside the coolant tank. Rev the engine and look at the stream, does it turn to lemonade (ie fizzy)? Do you get lots of tiny bubbles in the top of the water in the tank? That would suggest a gasket failure.

Hi Rich,

I did this little test tonight, got Alex to sit and rev the engine (which she enjoyed a little too much me-thinks! lol) as I watched the stream. Apart from acting with more force as the revs went up and down, it was a constant and steady flow, with absolutely no signs of the above! So, that's got to be good, right?

The only thing I did notice was that the level in the coolant bottle had gone down again. No deposits on the floor, so I imagine the pump nicked some of this to compensate around the system somewhere?

Saturday she's going in for her HC test, so more on that as and when...

All the best

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
Quote: So, that's got to be good, right?

Yes, that is a good sign. If a head gasket was blowing combustion gasses into the cooling system then you'd see bubbles in there.

When it gets hot, is your rad hot, are the large pipes on either side of the rad hot?

What about the two large rubber pipes either side of the engine hot?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
I Can chime in here.. The rad is hot at the top and bottom, and the rear hoses are hot, certainly she should have her fans kicking in at the right temp.

Hopefully you can see the pictures I promised... Carl can you see what I told you on the phone yesterday? The liner looks real ruff, but they clean up really good! the inside of them are purfect! shame about the outside, looks to me like my car has always been run on water alone :? (I have put antifreeze in her before)! Actually the crud was a lot worse than in the pictures, as she was my car I was hoping to just change over the head gaskets, I cleaned around the liners with hot water and some rags, but after thinking clearly I had no choice but to take the liners out after seeing what i saw.
Best wishes!

Chris
PJ Grady (Europe)
www.pjgrady.co.uk
OMG Chris, those pictures are shocking!! Shock

The last time I saw an engine all rusty like that was down the scrapyard the other week!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Hi everyone, it's been a while!

Anyway, I have a quick update on the cooling situation for you all...

Finally got her down to my local garage on Friday for a HC test. The results are as follows... *drum roll please*

She's fine!!! Not even any early signs of HG failure shew up! Phew!! I am one very relieved owner right now!!!

The question is, where do I go from here??? :?

All the best

Carl
Carl & Alex Hammond
DOC361
Norfolk
You may have tried it already but it may be worth pulling the thermostat out and try it without this obstruction in there.

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Mine had similar symptoms, over-heating after a certain distance, no leaks but losing coolant. It was the head gasket & it was leaking the water down the exhaust. Problem is, you can't see any visable leaks but it keeps using water until there is not enough to cool the motor & then boils up.
[Image: DeloreanSig.jpg]