Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springs
Birksie Wrote:Ive not personally contacted the supplier, but ive been told the supplier is fully aware of the situation.

ah right, thats ok then. Smile

Mine are still holding out after 6yrs on the car and plenty of abuse Big Grin
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Having just come across this topic for the first time, could I ask if the broken springs in question were supplied by me? If so its the first I have heard of it. Please clarify.
Chris Parnham

Ex RHD Auto's etc.etc

Main Car.. Kia E Niro 4+
Toyota Vitz 4X4 1999 (the smallest 4X4 by far!)
Toyota RAV4 EV 1999.
1970 Jago Jeep.

DOC Club Historian 
Right. Ive just been chatting with Chris Parnham and it seems he was completely unaware of this Spring situation until he stumbled across this thread.
Now. Im a little disappointed because I was told Chris already knew about this issue, but thats clearly not the case.
This is what he wanted to say......

and I quote...."I stopped following this newsgroup regularly over a year ago when all this negative stuff started being chucked around.
If I had known I would have immediately supplied replacements and taken any suspect one's back to my manufacturer...in Sheffield, who has made and supplied over 200 pairs for me over the last 5 years! I am some what miffed that nobody had the courtesy to tell me before broadcasting the fact.
People like Chris N and Martin G have had literally dozens of sets off me with not a single complaint."

He also asked that if someone can send the springs back to him, he'll take them back to the manufacturer to sort this out.
I have offered to take mine down to him, whenever Im passiing next.

I continue with Chris's statement:
"If something is faulty Paul, it needs sorting. I think we have known each other long enough to have developed some trust in each other?
I have not been successfully in business fro 30 years by walking away from problems. They need addressing as soon as they come to light...the sooner the better to enable things to be checked back, causes found and sorted for the future.
Why no body just didn't give me a ring or email me on history@deloreans.co.uk I simply cannot understand.
I do wish someone had told me...please put our email replies on the end of the thread. Regards Chris."
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
isnt communication a wonderful thing......... :roll:

Thanks for sorting this Paul - and glad that ChrisP is now aware of the situation and can
take it up with the manufacturers.
There could be two sets now which the manufacturer can have a look at, I have heard another set have collapsed yesterday evening.
That would be my set then :roll: I'll be taking these off in the week probably. Luckily they didn't snap but lost their springyness and the car sits stupidly low now and the ride is horrible as the coils keep bottoming out over bumps. Shock
VIN: 6511
Mine are from 4 years ago, anyone else got theres then ? TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
I think Dan's are about that old, but I could be wrong...

Dan, sorry to hear about your springs going - bet you're loving the car at the moment?! Still firmly planted in Stage 2 of ownership? Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I believe mine are roughly 4 years old.

Actually Gez I do like the car again. After this weekend and the road trip its made it all worthwhile, and front springs are easy enough to change.
Good stuff! Yeah, when you get a chance to use the car it does grow on you again Big Grin

I've just been to Newquay in the Mini for the weekend (would have taken the D if it wasn't for the clutch) and the nice thing about having two cars is that you can appreciate both of them in completely different ways.

How many tanks of petrol did you get through on the return trip Dan, if you don't mind me asking? I want to do measure the mpg on my next trip now the engine's running properly with yours and Nick T's attentions at Eurotec!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
jerzybondov Wrote:Good stuff! Yeah, when you get a chance to use the car it does grow on you again Big Grin

I've just been to Newquay in the Mini for the weekend (would have taken the D if it wasn't for the clutch) and the nice thing about having two cars is that you can appreciate both of them in completely different ways.

How many tanks of petrol did you get through on the return trip Dan, if you don't mind me asking? I want to do measure the mpg on my next trip now the engine's running properly with yours and Nick T's attentions at Eurotec!

It won't be as good on economy as your trip to EuroTec Jez, seeing as most of the trip was courtesy of the AA :o Only messing.

Here's a couple of web calculators for you:

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

Fill up until petrol nozzle clicks and tank is def. full.
Reset trip counter and/or note mileage.
Drive around doing mixed driving until tank is at least under 1/4 tank.
Read mileage off trip counter and/ or note mileage. Subtract original noted mileage to get mileage travelled.

Plug details into top web site or use formulae:
gallons used = litres used / 4.54

mpg = miles travelled) / gallons used

Nick,
Dan1986 Wrote:I believe mine are roughly 4 years old.

Dave Woodyard (prev prev owner) replaced those springs around 2001/2002 when the car had done about 10,000 miles. I've no idea if anyone replaced them again after he sold the car to Jonathan in 2006?

My car had new springs (from same source) in 2003 and has been fine ever since, no issues at all.
NickT Wrote:It won't be as good on economy as your trip to EuroTec Jez, seeing as most of the trip was courtesy of the AA :o Only messing.

Here's a couple of web calculators for you:

http://www.mpg-calculator.co.uk/

http://www.fuel-economy.co.uk/calc.shtml

Reset trip counter and/or note mileage.
Drive around doing mixed driving until tank is at least under 1/4 tank.
Read mileage off trip counter and/ or note mileage. Subtract original noted mileage to get mileage travelled.

Plug details into top web site or use formulae:
gallons used = litres used / 4.54

mpg = miles travelled) / gallons used

Nick,

That's exactly the method I use to work out the mpg on the Mini. I objected to paying £150 for a trip computer that would just lie to me anyway (cunningly programmed by the factory to make you feel better about your car by adding at least 2-3mpg...) Big Grin

30.9 mpg on the Newquay trip this weekend - not sure if the D can quite match that (or the cross-country speed)!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Remember Gez your speedo in the delorean under-reads so your millage will be less.

I never fill my delorean tank up so its hard for me to work it out but I didn't put much in it to do 900ish miles, I'm sure its doing 35mpg easily.

Mike C filled his car right up and used just over 2 tank fulls for the trip. Deloreans aren't bad on fuel at all if running properly.

My springs are the ones that Dave put on the car, so about 6 years old then! Strange they should suddenly give in now.
Dan1986 Wrote:Remember Gez your speedo in the delorean under-reads so your millage will be less.

I never fill my delorean tank up so its hard for me to work it out but I didn't put much in it to do 900ish miles, I'm sure its doing 35mpg easily.

Yes - good point I'll need to get the speedo recalibrated first. Helpfully it extends the limited mileage allowance on the insurance at the moment though Big Grin

35mpg is very good if you're getting it. I don't think I've had that much from mine - it's cost me about £70 to do a round trip to Wales that would normally cost about £60 in the Mini so I reckon I'm getting high 20s perhaps. But it depends on how fast you go too Big Grin
VIN 7176
DOC 643