Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOC-UK Summer Event - Chirk, Shropshire, 11-13 June 2010
...I talked to Martin about my oil leaks a while back. For the enginer leak, he reckoned it might be either the temperature thermostat thingmy do da, but maybe this pressure switch jigger is a possibility too.... Only once i get the car up on the lift with the family mechanic will i know i guess. At least its a couple of pointer to help HIM out with on the subject.

As for the gearbox, it's not leaking badly, but i think its been like that for a couple of years now, and i can almost definitely bet that its not been topped up in that time. Martin suggested that it might be a small hole left by the people who fixed up the crank case after the cars famous 5th gear cog took a wobbly! So i was thinking about that metal based glue stuff you can get for cars, just to simply smear over it to plug the hole....what do you all think?

LEX is indeed a manual box.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Rissy Wrote:...I talked to Martin about my oil leaks a while back. For the enginer leak, he reckoned it might be either the temperature thermostat thingmy do da, but maybe this pressure switch jigger is a possibility too.... Only once i get the car up on the lift with the family mechanic will i know i guess. At least its a couple of pointer to help HIM out with on the subject.

As for the gearbox, it's not leaking badly, but i think its been like that for a couple of years now, and i can almost definitely bet that its not been topped up in that time. Martin suggested that it might be a small hole left by the people who fixed up the crank case after the cars famous 5th gear cog took a wobbly! So i was thinking about that metal based glue stuff you can get for cars, just to simply smear over it to plug the hole....what do you all think?

LEX is indeed a manual box.

Since you didn't mention the gearbox leak location, I drop in the other possibilities:
1. The seals at the outgoing drive shafts (you will need a stainless sleeve and new seal)
2. Main crank bearing seal leek (noticeable as it leaks at the gearbox/engine connection - bell house)

Checking the gearbox oil level is rather simple: remove the filler plug and if oil drips out, there's enough in the box.
If it doesn't drip out try and feel with your pinky finger if it can touch oil.
Otherwise, add some (SAE W80)

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
Rissy, be great if you, Clare and Lex can make it - you could be vying with Welmoed for a
'furthest travelled to the event' prize - although we wont allow you to use Korea as your
start point! lol

Just as a thought, pressure wash & clean underneath the car, as if its oily under there it can make
it hard to determine where a leak is coming from in my experience.

I've had numerous oil leaks from the oil pressure switch, in fact mine is leaking again :roll:

I guess my car is just one of those cars that likes to mark her territory when she goes somewhere :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
Rissy: Use newspaper under the car and the spots will tell you where the leaks are.

Claire: On the distance traveled, does the detour through Wolverhampton also count?
It may be a competition between the Dutch couple and me.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
yeah, go on, I'll let you off Welmoed :wink:

Be great to see you and the other Dutch members in June Big Grin
...Got my booking in place. Clare and i booked! LEX....well, she'll just have to prove herself for attendance, cause Clare and I are going, with, or without her! lol!

Booked for the Friday night and the Saturday night.

Can't wait. Fingers crossed for some nice sunny, DRY, weather.
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
FAN BLEEDIN TASTIC !!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Look forward to seeing you, Clare and Lex in June - we'll have a great time, whatever the
weather.

Keep a note of the mileage, there will be a prize for the DeLorean that travels furthest to
the event - although you will be up against the Dutch :wink:
Does getting lost and driving around in circles count? :oops:
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Chris Williams Wrote:Does getting lost and driving around in circles count? :oops:
Chris

haha - is that with or without the aid of shat nav? :lol:
Hey, does anyone know actually how many D's will be going to this event, roughly?

I'm curious as a friend and his g/f, who are interested in coming along to see the cars, have been asking....
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):
Lex always had a tiny weep of gear oil from where the end casing was welded up. In theory a smear of sealant will fix it, but you have to bank on the bit staying oil free for the time it takes the sealant to set.... When I did the Clutch for Jamie 2 years ago the driveshaft seals and rear main were not leaking. The oil pressure switch is the usual suspect with oil leaks aroudn the sump area. I never had the rocker covers off that engine so should still be dry up there (#4 exhaust tappet still a bit noisy?! Mr Green )
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
Rissy Wrote:Hey, does anyone know actually how many D's will be going to this event, roughly?

I'm curious as a friend and his g/f, who are interested in coming along to see the cars, have been asking....

to be honest, I'm not exactly sure, as the numbers are going up each time I check.

It's well into double figures tho Big Grin
Guinney1971 Wrote:
Rissy Wrote:Hey, does anyone know actually how many D's will be going to this event, roughly?

to be honest, I'm not exactly sure, as the numbers are going up each time I check.

It's well into double figures tho Big Grin

Double figures, hey?
How double? 10s 20s or 90s ? Big Grin

I tried to register using e-mail as hearing becomes a bit of a problem.
No answer yet, mail was yesterday, so me not worry.

Welmoed.

Welmoed.
Welmoed

DCN #261
black VIN #6513 1981-11
Toyota Prius III 2009-07
As Mary (who is organising this event in the main) is still away at the moment it's difficult to get an exact answer. I'm sure upon her return she will give an updated number of cars going and rooms booked.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
stunned_monkey Wrote:Lex always had a tiny weep of gear oil from where the end casing was welded up. In theory a smear of sealant will fix it, but you have to bank on the bit staying oil free for the time it takes the sealant to set.... When I did the Clutch for Jamie 2 years ago the driveshaft seals and rear main were not leaking. The oil pressure switch is the usual suspect with oil leaks aroudn the sump area. I never had the rocker covers off that engine so should still be dry up there (#4 exhaust tappet still a bit noisy?! Mr Green )

Where is the oil pressure switch located? Is it easy to get a replacement if one is needed?

Also, my dad has had an issue with LEX while i've been in Korea. He, upon my request, ran her up and within minutes, the engine temp rocketed and the header tank exploded hot water out all over the floor! He got a bit of a shock. After stopping her engine almost immediately and then letting her sit for a while, he filled up the system with new clean water and tried again. This time, she was fine, and she has been started again a couple of weeks later, since then, and once more, all was fine. Obviously, this sounds as though it might have been a sticky temperature valve for the cooling, so can i suspect that this may need replaced too? So...if so, where is it, and how readily available is a replacement?

I'm not aware of a noisy tappet from the engine at all, but will make a point of listening more carefully when i'm back in the UK come the end of May / Beginning of June - Airlines/Volcanos permitting. lol!
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black

Main Car(s):