Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Pump.
Cheers fella Wink
Paul Birks - DOC5 - Worksop
LEX has developed a leak, sort of, since i did a complete coolant flush and refill earlier in the week. The "leak" wasn't there beforehand. I know that since there was only water in there previously, there is a chance the hole i've found, was always there, but the water never found it, but now that its a proper coolant mix, it has.

The hole i've found, is on the underside, facing the floor, just behind the crankshaft holding the pully. It's sitting right inbetween two flanged "ribs" of the pump. Using a mirror, and a torch, you can see it. Coolant seems to leak out of there when the engine is either cooling down, or cold, but goes away once the engine has warmed up. When it starts leaking, it leaks at a rate of about 8ml an hour on average, and lasts about 24 hours or so, and then....stops?

My question is about the hole. Why? What is it? Should it be plugged, or open the way it is right now to atmosphere?
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Unfortunately the reason why these cars eat waterpumps is because most applications these engines were fitted to were cars with engines in the front, located near the radiator. A Delorean pumps water to the front to be cooled and then back again. And because of this it holds probably twice as much coolant as a normal car, hence when at running temperature you are getting twice the expansion on the waterpump seals. There are two seals in the waterpump, the hole you are talking about is a drain in the void between the 2 shaft bearings, if you have coolant coming out of it, it means the main inside shaft seal is starting to give way and you should think about changing it. I have thought about this problem and discussed it with other club members before, and I was toying with the idea of maybe fitting an expansion vessel that they use on central heating systems, this may save the waterpump seals.
Regards Jay Monk

VIN: # 3928
VIN: # 4989

[Image: garage3.jpg]
"Eat water pumps". Ah.

So does this mean, if correct, i'll need a new water pump before too long? Or is there a possibility of replacing the seal(s) only? :?

A guy once said in Edinburgh (I forget his name, but he used to own a D, a long time ago) "with a DeLorean, your hand is sure to never be out of your pocket." During this last week or so, during my holiday from Korea, his point has been getting proved exactly. :roll:

I'm sort of hoping that the string of events i've been going through so early into my ownership of LEX, is just tidying up things that need to be done to bring the car up to scratch (i.e. things that only need to be done once in a blue moon, with the mileage expected to be driven on the car), rather than an ongoing "deep pocket" affair...
Rissy
(Forum Member 288)
(DOC Member 663)

May 1981 vin#1458 "LEX"
Grey, Flapped, Black
Chassis: #1073
Engine: #2839

Main Car(s):
2005 BMW M3 in Velvet Blue
2010 Honda Civic Type R in Sapphire Blue (1 of 115 made)
Probably easiest just to replace the pump along with any water pipes in that area. It does seem that you have had a few issues of late, but perhaps they have just all come at once? :roll:
Stuart has posted elsewhere about one of his ball joints failing (again) and his were only done two years ago or so. Though this is extreem!
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
has anyone got a water pump (new or good secondhand) that they can
bring to Chirk? I know its a big job, but if there's enough of us piling in....
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie