Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alternator wanted
Hi folks - pretty sure the Alternator's on its last legs. Squealing more than a stuck pig, in fact, and that's def. the bearings.

Has anyone upgraded theirs and got a decent working spare one available? I'm quite happy to pay the going rate...

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Worth a punt on some new bearings?
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Al... maybe time to call on John H services ???
RichH Wrote:Worth a punt on some new bearings?

I would as I am a tight arse too !

NickT
....its strange how the subject of alternators come up this time of year Wink ... lol
I best double check mine too !

NickT
LOL Smile Still yours is a nice modern and powerful replacement ... and working very nicely for a long time now in conjunction with that 'beefomatic' battery you have in there Smile Smile
Could do I suppose - okay then, even tougher question - Does anyone know what size bearings they are, off the top? No worries if not, I could pull it out and try to match up afterwards, but that just means longer out of action!

John H services??

I could still be interested in a S/H alternator if anyone has one though, just in terms of of expediency!!

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Mine was making a noise last year when I went to Ireland and a quick squirt of wd40 at mervyn's house fixed it. Now with eurotec looming its started again :roll: It is very quiet though to be fair so it can wait a while :wink:
VIN: 6511
Yes AlistairV has been shipping a few things over from Special T Auto .

No help to you atm but ...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2786

Regards Mike

Rich Hanlon Wrote:Could do I suppose - okay then, even tougher question - Does anyone know what size bearings they are, off the top? No worries if not, I could pull it out and try to match up afterwards, but that just means longer out of action!

John H services??

I could still be interested in a S/H alternator if anyone has one though, just in terms of of expediency!!

Rich
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Could do I suppose - okay then, even tougher question - Does anyone know what size bearings they are, off the top? No worries if not, I could pull it out and try to match up afterwards, but that just means longer out of action!

John H services??

Rich

Surely Derby would have an Alternator/ Starter re-wind place that could re-check your alternator.

I had my Astra one checked over due to noise and they changed the bearings and did a full load test on it for £35.

They may even have a more powerful re-conditioned one on the shelf.

Good luck.

NickT
Well, I left it in on Saturday to be rebuilt, to be told: No trouble, Monday, or maybe Tuesday at the latest.

So I called this morning, to be told to ring back this afternoon. So I called this afternoon, to be asked - What's it off again? And besides, I've snapped this screw off here, and I can't get the bits anyway.

Magic.

So, the Alternator which was going to be comfortably rebuilt for next weekend is now in bits with no ready hope of getting together again any time soon. Mega, as we used to say.

So - does anyone in the Country have a Delorean Alternator (of any description) I can buy off them one evening this week? Will travel!!!

I haven't tried Renault yet, "I'm not sure I could stand that kind of rejection..."

Riccardo Desperado.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Have you tried Dave Howarth?? He is often overlooked as our main parts guru!

Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Well, I left it in on Saturday to be rebuilt, to be told: No trouble, Monday, or maybe Tuesday at the latest.

So I called this morning, to be told to ring back this afternoon. So I called this afternoon, to be asked - What's it off again? And besides, I've snapped this screw off here, and I can't get the bits anyway.

Magic.

So, the Alternator which was going to be comfortably rebuilt for next weekend is now in bits with no ready hope of getting together again any time soon. Mega, as we used to say.

So - does anyone in the Country have a Delorean Alternator (of any description) I can buy off them one evening this week? Will travel!!!

I haven't tried Renault yet, "I'm not sure I could stand that kind of rejection..."

Riccardo Desperado.

Not being funny but why can't they cross match the alternator?
Most re-conditioners have the lucas cross match database.
I'll answer those in reverse order! Nick - apparently the most meaningful number - stamped on the foil label - is too badly damaged to read. It was pretty toasty-looking, so that is believable. I did try Dave, bless him. He hadn't one on the shelf so is ringing round all sorts of people. You're right, he often is overlooked and he's absolutely dead on, very helpful and really goes out of his way to help where he can...

Just trying John T's Valeo cross-reference now - 2105178.

Does anyone know if it's deffo the same as the Ren. Alpine one? I have found a place in London does those (courtesy of Chris Spratt - Thanks Chris!)

Rich
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126