Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixed door glass
My tattyish drivers side door glass seal has been annoying me ever since I bought my car. So today I ripped it all out to install a new piece from houston. A nice easy job I thought... Of course being a ****ing ****ty ***k delorean it opened a can of worms.

Basically my door glass is now loose in the door. How is it supposed to be held in place? Don't tell me you have to take the door off and bond the glass in using some special glue you can only get if you order it and wait for 2 weeks. :roll:

Also to put the new glass seal rubber in, it doesn't seem to clip in place like it would on most cars, is this also bodged in with a load of tiger seal like the outer door seals?

Cheers,
Dan
VIN: 6511
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear - you should have asked the Technical Advisor that before you pulled that strip out :wink: :wink:
It's an absolute NIGHTMARE of a job, forget the worms, you opened up a can of angry rattle snakes mate :roll:

Where to begin.....

First, the job is a whole lot easier with the door off, since gravity glass and glue don't mix well.

Nothing clips, screws or fixes in at all. Basically the glass is held in with Tiger Seal and so is the rubber seal.

The glass has to be glued to the door, with the seal sandwiched in between. However to complicate the saga, the seal is wedge shaped so it will keep squishing out of the gap.

The glass is held away from the door by four or five small plastic spacers which aren't particularly helpful since they are only about 10mm long and the wrong height anyway.

Holding the glass in position while trying to fit the seal and waiting for the Tiger Seal to cure is entertaining to say the least and will involve a conglomeration of length of wood and clamps.

Sorry Sad
Richard H. DOC 365 VIN 1274
http://www.deloreans.co.uk
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Oh great. :roll: No way am I taking the door off. I wonder if I can do it with some window sucktion clamps and some bunjees tied to the garage wall next to the car....

That probably explains why it was so crap before, a previous owner has probably changed the glass in the past. Does the glass need any priming for the tiger seal to take?
No priming needed for the glass if you are using Tiger Seal. Just make sure its clean and grease free.

Fixing the glass while the Tiger Seal cures is easy compared to keeping the damn seal in place.

I didn't do too bad a job with mine, but it's not perfect. If the previous owner had no patience, I can imagine it being a bit of a mess...
I've just had another look and scraped out some more of the old silicon glue stuff. There are not spacers in there at all...

The passenger side is perfect so probably original from the factory. I suspect my car has had a new drivers glass sometime in its life. I had a tube of tiger seal from when I was sorting out the access panel in the roof but ive just tried it and its gone hard. Thats a waste of a whole tube nearly :roll: Do they sell it in motorfactors? I want to get this sorted out asap really, specially as I'm meant to be using my car for a tv filming thing next saturday!
Quote:Thats a waste of a whole tube nearly Do they sell it in motorfactors?

It's shelf life is dismal, once it's opened it doesn't keep Sad though you'll find it's still OK inside the tube. It's normally sold in motorfactors, yes. Depends how good they are.

If you are struggling to get hold of it I can post you some, but it will work out really expensive to send.
Dan i have a couple of tubes still well in date and unopened ... if you need them now no problem in posting one to you bud.
Cheers guys. My last tube came from ebay. I will see what I can get in town tomorow first as I want to crack on tomorow. I'm also going to look for a glass sucker clamp thing to use to pull the glass outwards so I don't have to remove the door!

From what I can see, the tiger seal has to take up nearly 10mm of space between the glass and the door. Is this right? You would think they'd make a lip or somthing on the door for the glass to press up to.

Oh well I'll be glad once its all done as I'll know its done properly. :wink:
Quote:From what I can see, the tiger seal has to take up nearly 10mm of space between the glass and the door. Is this right?

Yup, sounds about right. I think the original asembly would have involved tacking the glass into place using the spacers, then once cured filling the gap and pushing the seal into place.

No wonder so few of these cars got made. The manufacuring processes even for the 80's were utterly dismal, for instance, name another car of the era that required the headlining to be tucked under the door seals! :roll: But thats another topic...
Im thinking that it will need to be spaced out correctly so that the toll booth window fits and operates correctly.

Can you fix something on the lower edge of where the glass will sit ( when the door is closed ) Perhaps even a couple of temporary self tapping screws ... otherwise i can see the glass creeping down under its weight.

Then maybe a piece of wood angled inside the car to keep the top pushed against the door till it sets...

I would stick the spacers to the glass first and let dry ... The book says 8no spacers but personally feel more would be good to help it stick ... last thing you need is the glass falling back out :roll:
My passenger door glass was originally smashed, I remember Martin did it but was swearing a lot, from memory he said something about the seal being rolled up for 25 years + didnt help, the door was off and completely stripped, there were lots of clothes pegs used and Wurth Bond/Seal.
RichH Wrote:
Quote:From what I can see, the tiger seal has to take up nearly 10mm of space between the glass and the door. Is this right?

Yup, sounds about right. I think the original asembly would have involved tacking the glass into place using the spacers, then once cured filling the gap and pushing the seal into place.

No wonder so few of these cars got made. The manufacuring processes even for the 80's were utterly dismal, for instance, name another car of the era that required the headlining to be tucked under the door seals! :roll: But thats another topic...

...yes I agree, but the car still does look cool Wink

NickT
The more work I do on the car, the more I think its pretty much a mockup / prototype rather than a real car :lol:
Wink

Yeh but im still amazed that other car companies havent picked up on some of the design features... I for one am glad im not cutting out rust and painting inner wings every winter (Just like the guy with an MG down the road from me)
RichH Wrote:
Quote:The manufacuring processes even for the 80's were utterly dismal, for instance, name another car of the era that required the headlining to be tucked under the door seals! :roll:

Actually Rich, pretty much EVERY car from the 1950's to date has the head liner tucked under the door seals. :roll:

What have you been driving that hasn't? :wink:
VIN 4532

DOC-574