Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
heat sheild
hi all

after looking in the engine bay tonight and having a prod around i found out i think why herman has not been flying to good as when i start it it took for ever to start well, found a cooket wire coming off the risitior tonight so i put a new spade connecotor on and also had words with Mr N T and changed the battery and started first time ( brum brum ) then had a go at tighting up the belt this has been a little saw project as i have gone though 2 belts this year me and sam think it seems to getting warm as i don,t have the shield between the esghust and the belt.
does anyone think the heat would make it looseer over a long time if so what would anyone recommend to repalce it with ..... :?:
Good news on the wiring fix.

I don't have a heat shield on mine and never had any issues with belt wear.

Check that your pulleys are ok and in line and that the alternator and water pump bearings are free to turn.

NickT.
Heat applied to anything plastic/rubber (the belt) would make it expand and stretch... Im just guessing this is what is happening Glen. Ive no experience with DeLorean engines or anything but its just basic Science. Enough expanding and contracting (when the engine cools down) will weaken the belt and it will break... I think this is the problem you're having. I recon the heat shield would be a good thing to have in the correct place like you say. Im hoping the big boys will step in and get a little more technical and explain further!

EDIT: Haha Nick beat me!
Kind Regards,
Jonny Jones
DOC #530
--------------------------
http://www.carpromos.co.uk
I agree it's not a good idea to run around without a heatshield. The main issue would be what it does to the crank pulley seal. The seal is easy-ish to change but if its failute in turn causes pitting on the crank pulley itself you open a whole world of hurt.

Also remember Nick you're running without a cat which makes the exhaust condsiderably cooler.
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
I've not had it on that long !

I wonder if with Glen's extra bttf stuff he is also covering the engine cooling vents ?

Bit hard to say without having a look at the car.

NickT.
chris nickulson made the vents so the back to the future vents are the hot air outakes what do you reakeon nik as you have allways been right so far matey Big Grin
GTAs have got completely sealed engine bays and fans to keep them cool. The back windscreen fogs up like a ba$tard too! (love winding them lot up about engine bay heat probs Big Grin )
Martin Gutkowski
DeLorean Cars
http://www.delorean.co.uk
well its hard to say as yes the engine does get hot and the serounding pipes do i checked the pulleis last night and they are all free moving so A might bee the heat as the belt strarts makeing noise about every four months ( when the car out and about ) nik give us a ring later i sent that thing to you but it came back worung address i did not put the right no so it should get there today for you

Big Grin