Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Universal Steering Joint - cross matchable?
It would appear that my universal steering joint needs changing - do I have any other options than going to DMCH or Ed Uding? I know the rack is from a Cortina and the column from a Rover SD1- is the USJ DeLorean specific or might I be able to find one for slightly less somewhere else? (Depending on which bit needs changing it's a pricey part!)

Thanks!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Dan S?

Any ideas?
The rack is not Cortina, it was made up from various cars of the time, including Ford Capri 3.0 and Hillman Avenger, by Burman. They also made racks for the Rolls Royce and Lotus. Unfortunately they have long gone but you can still get spares for them, let me know if you get stuck on rack parts or rebuilds.

Anyway on the UJ's from memory the bottom one is SD1 I think, might be worth a call to Rimmer Brothers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/. The top, longer one, is close to TR7 but not quite the same. Dan S used to get them re manufactured, which I would have said is your best best.
Chris Spratt

Ex owner of Vin#16327 Grey 5 Speed was FLE 371Y
1998 Lotus Esprit GT3
1999 Lotus Elise
DOC 4
Thanks for the advice Chris - I'll give Rimmer Bros a call and see what they say. I also need to find out which bit of my system is knackered too!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I just spoke to Rimmer Bros, and they've got a lower SD1 steering joint for £25 (bit better than hundreds of dollars!) but in order to check I've sent them pictures of the upper and lower DeLorean joints and the shaft.

Only problem now is that they need to know overall length and I have no idea. Is there some tech manual somewhere which would have the answer for me? Or is this dark knowledge that is only found with a dismantled car and a tape measure? Aagh!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
i have a set here mate let me know what your after and il measure TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:i have a set here mate let me know what your after and il measure TT

Tony, you're a STAR. The geezer at Rimmer Bros (don't snigger, but I do every time) just said he wanted overall length - so maybe just tip to toe of each piece (or the whole lot together if it doesnt come apart)?

If there's any other obvious dimensions that would be specific to a part (i.e. hole width etc) and they're easy to get that would be awesome too.

I'll buy you a pint or two of that cider at Eurotec TT Mr Green
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I found them and the dimensions are.. the small uj is 125mm length, it also has a number on it ym15636 something i cant read and b at the end the small bit of the uj has a 13mm hole to the edge of the slines and the other end is 15mm.
the longer one is 340mm length with 15mm spline hope this helps, but if you cant get them matched properly dont mess about get refurbed ones we dont want you killing yourself TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tony you're a LEDGE. I'll pass these details on to Rimmer Bros and see what they say. Hopefully they will have something that's the same - you're right though, if not it's not worth bodging!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
If its any help i have the small one you can borrow mate TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Tourettes Tony Wrote:If its any help i have the small one you can borrow mate TT

Rimmers are saying they need to see one now so I might have to take you up on that at some point Tony... Chris is going to find out which bit is knacked on mine and then I'll know more. I'll get it sorted one way or another!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Gez

You might save time,money and aggro by getting SOC to rebuild it for you?

They go over the whole thing and replace whatever is worn etc, Dan S knows them well

A
A Van Wrote:Gez

You might save time,money and aggro by getting SOC to rebuild it for you?

They go over the whole thing and replace whatever is worn etc, Dan S knows them well

A

Sounds interesting Al. Who are SOC? Can I find their contact details somewhere?

Cheers!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Premier Supply Autoparts
5 Wheeler Street
Headcorn
Ashford, Kent TN27 9SH
England
Phone: +44(0) 1622 891777 / 891303
Fax: +44(0) 1622 891678
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=735

See here Gez, Dan S has a part number with SOC of DEL 001