Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spares, Club funds
As the 'person who holds the club chequebook', I have mixed feelings on this, especially as
people like Dave Howarth (who I know can be hard to get hold of and will need to check if
he has got the bit you want in stock), have invested alot of money and time in purchasing,
manufacturing, and storing parts over the years.

Whilst the club does have a 'buffer' so to speak in the club funds, we are acutely aware that
we live in difficult financial times, and we are therefore bracing ourselves for a drop in revenue
this year, whilst trying to at least maintain what we offer the membership - and things like the
recent hike in postage rates again do have a considerable effect when posting out 250 magazines.

If the club had nearer £10k in the bank, then I think investing a couple of grand in parts and
stuff wouldnt be an issue, but as things stand, I'm not so sure.

I definately think that this is something that is worth considering, and should not be written off,
but we'd need to decide what part(s) should be invested in, and how much should be put into them.

Just my 2pth!
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie
My 2p, I would be great to know what Dave actually has , perhaps the club could approach him and see if he wants 'help' to create an inventory and price list for the same ? ... at the end of the day he surely must want to try and sell all his stock ???

Tis a real shame he is not on the internet it would work wonders for him..
Claire Usher Wrote:As the 'person who holds the club chequebook', I have mixed feelings on this, especially as
people like Dave Howarth (who I know can be hard to get hold of and will need to check if
he has got the bit you want in stock), have invested alot of money and time in purchasing,
manufacturing, and storing parts over the years.

Best to ask Dave Howarth direct (any volunteers?), as his initial foresight and hard work in the beginning when club numbers were small can now come to fruition by being able to sell the aquired/ re-manufactured parts to a wider audience.

Of course it is all down to Dave at the end of the day and I would gladly buy a part from him if I knew at an instance he had it in.

Claire Usher Wrote:Whilst the club does have a 'buffer' so to speak in the club funds, we are acutely aware that
we live in difficult financial times, and we are therefore bracing ourselves for a drop in revenue
this year, whilst trying to at least maintain what we offer the membership - and things like the
recent hike in postage rates again do have a considerable effect when posting out 250 magazines.

Even with these so call difficult times I will be surprised if the membership would fall considering it works out to less than 50pence per week for 4 quality magazines and access to the forum !
Hope not though............

NickT.
Even with these so call difficult times I will be surprised if the membership would fall considering it works out to less than 50pence per week for 4 quality magazines and access to the forum !
Hope not though............

Unfortunatly the club is (as are most similar clubs) taking a hit on membership, we have lost about 10% of the membership since the last AGM. When I have spoken to the 'lost' members they (most) are simply cutting back on all 'unnesessary' expenditure 'just in case' :roll: Whilst we still have a good membership base we are trying to be careful especially as costs are increasing. i.e it now cost nearly £30.00 (per issue) more to mail the club magazines out than 18 months ago due to continued postal increses. This is just one example.
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
NickT Wrote:Best to ask Dave Howarth direct (any volunteers?), as his initial foresight and hard work in the beginning when club numbers were small can now come to fruition by being able to sell the aquired/ re-manufactured parts to a wider audience.

Of course it is all down to Dave at the end of the day and I would gladly buy a part from him if I knew at an instance he had it in.

I think, there would an 'orderely queue' to go up to Dave H's and do an inventory given
half the chance, but I know that Dave is often busy and its a case of him having the time
to sort everything out. I'm not even sure that Dave knows exactly what he's got tbh!!
Well he came across a spare wheel he didn't know he had the other day - he's finding out how much he paid for it back in the day and he'll let me know how much he wants for it!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
jerzybondov Wrote:Well he came across a spare wheel he didn't know he had the other day - he's finding out how much he paid for it back in the day and he'll let me know how much he wants for it!

Spare wheel!

Sorry NickT you need my spare one!!

Will call you to sort it out matey Wink :oops:
Ok I think we need a list of parts we think its worth investing in, I think we should look at parts that are difficult or impossible to source in the UK quickly with no cross ref available at a good price etc..., with the amount of cars on the road increasing parts will be needed.
We all know that DeLoreans only tend to play up when you have got an event booked etc......!

So here's a list for starters please add

Water Pumps - with correct pulley
Alternators
Auto Gearbox computer
RPM relay
Starter Motors
Radiators
Blower motors
...Angle Drives.. Special T auto
...Headlight Switch... New ones (but with out the auto switch off and die feature ...)
What about a windscreen? I've often thought if I get a stone in it I will have to wait weeks to get it sorted out.

Fuel pump? I had to wait a while to get my car back on the road when mine packed up last year.
VIN: 6511
Fuel Pump good one Dan, JRG got a screen made by a company who have the molds, Autovision or something.
A Van Wrote:Fuel Pump good one Dan, JRG got a screen made by a company who have the molds, Autovision or something.

Uroglas gave me a quote for a windscreen with built in antenna - was £275 I think but I can look it up if anyone's interested.
VIN 7176
DOC 643
I did wonder about mirror switches, but its not essential to the cars operation.
Also I have a Saab 900 switch for £4.99 which works great, must post up the cross ref.
Dan1986 Wrote:What about a windscreen? I've often thought if I get a stone in it I will have to wait weeks to get it sorted out.

Dave actually invested several thousand pounds of his own money having some
windscreens made back in the 90's - I believe it took him about 10 years to get
his investment back (and he didnt have any profit margin either, he sold them
for what they cost him).
I dont think Dave H has ever made any real money from the spares, and he finances all himself...I dont know what the club would have done without him or whether there would even be one!