Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP! LOCKED OUT!
HELP!

I've managed to lock myself out of 7176 by closing the drivers door whilst the keys were in the ignition. The drivers door handle from the outside is only releasing the catch at the back of the door - the one at the front is still catching.

The passenger door is locked and the windows are all up.

When it's done this to me before I've had the keys with me and I've locked/unlocked the key on the outside and it's released the front catch - but the keys are inside - aagh!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Crisis averted - a carving fork got us in. Will post back later with details how!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Ok then, any would be thieves out there :lol: TT ps i leave mine unlocked and its still there Cry
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Yeah not many people are mad enough to want one.
VIN: 6511
Apart from us mad lot !!!!
i was waiting for that TT :lol:
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
OK, I think I can responsibly post this up as it does require the rear latch to have already been opened!

My driver's door linkage is a bit wonk, with the result that most of the time when you try to open the door only the rear latch disengages. It hadn't troubled me too much as I can put the key in the outside lock, lock and unlock it and then that seems to move the linkage enough that the door will open.

However yesterday the passenger door was locked and I shut the drivers door with the key in the ignition. Oh dear.

After much fiddling about and inept poking into the front latch - what to do is this. Get a long, stiff, thin implement (carving fork in my case). The rear latch being disengaged lifts the door enough to get it in. Get right underneath the front edge of the door and you can see the striker pin, the brass coloured U latch and the silver coloured part of the linkage (You need to do this from right underneath, from the side you can't get to it). You need to poke the silver bit as far back as you can whilst someone else pulls on the handle. When you've poked it back far enough - kerpow! The door will open.

I will not be shutting the drivers door again without the keys in my hand though!
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Is the central locking not working on your car then?
Dan1986 Wrote:Is the central locking not working on your car then?

Um... didn't realise it was supposed to central lock, so no! I'll get Chris to take a look at it...
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Always something to fix :roll: Once the central locking is working you can get a remote for it so you don't have to faff about with keys in the doors :wink:
Dan1986 Wrote:Always something to fix :roll: Once the central locking is working you can get a remote for it so you don't have to faff about with keys in the doors :wink:

Yes - that's definitely worth it so you don't end up scratching up the area around the lock with inept night-time poking.
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Yeah and so the lock barrels don't wear out and end up working with other peoples keys :wink:
yes all good news then lol TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor