Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Gearbox differential tool is born!
Hi Guy's

Following my request for a special Delorean tool for the diff seal carrier and bearing adjustment, it seems no one has one? Sad

You all know me by now, and the fact I have a slight play in the drive shaft bearings of vin 4532, it wouldn't be long until everything was put right :lol:

I've spent the last few evenings and early mornings (watching the sun rise) making a special tool as shown in the DMC workshop manual.

First I tool some 4mm plate and roughed out the "gear wheel shape"

[Image: 100_0574.jpg]

Then I finished it off on my lathe.

[Image: 100_0576.jpg]

Next I took some 2" heavy gauge mild pipe, cut it to length and drilled it out 16mm on my pillar drill.

[Image: 100_0575.jpg]

And finally welded it on to the top of the gear wheel with my MIG.

[Image: 100_0577.jpg]

This should locate in the seal carrier ring once the drive shaft flange is removed. Using a standard 1/2" drive Tommy bar through the 16mm holes I should be able to easily remove the ring, take a look at the bearings, put in a new seal and then tighten it up to remove any play. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll post some more pics over the weekend showing how to use the tool.

Kind regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Nice work Darren! Nothing like that drive to do something where it sees you up early or late (or both in your case) to achieve something special! Makes the end result even more satisfying! Looking forward to the results!
Regards,

Chris Hawes
DOC 138
Ex owner of VIN 5255 Grey, 5-speed
Thats a nice tool you have made there Darren Big Grin I think you have the same welder as me too. :wink:
VIN: 6511
Very nice work Darren.

It looks amazing like the tool Lotus sell for doing the job. There called a castellated wrench and diff.
nut spanner and there part numbers are TOOOT0679 & TOOOT0680. Cost abit though and took an age to come through Shock

Dan
Darren, I've had a dig around my garage and found the castellated tool...................oh you've made one....

Ha ha only joking.

NickT

ps 1mm, tut tut tut.
Impressed with your tool-building skills Darren! What do places like DMCH use? Is the Lotus one compatible?
VIN 7176
DOC 643
Daniel Shane Wrote:Very nice work Darren.

It looks amazing like the tool Lotus sell for doing the job. There called a castellated wrench and diff.
nut spanner and there part numbers are TOOOT0679 & TOOOT0680. Cost abit though and took an age to come through Shock

Dan

Now you tell me!!!!

Bet it costs more than the £5 mine cost in materials :wink:

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Hey Darren ...good work buddy!

Can i borrow it after you have fnished with it please? ...
No problem Mike.

I'm going to try it out tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Sorry mate, I only read your post the other day.

Yeah it cost about 10x the price yours did Shock

It's in the back of my Lotus tool box somewhere and I need to find. Yes I have a tool box just for Lotus tools Smile

Honestly mate you made an excellent job of making it.

Dan
Hi Guy's,

Used the tool today worked a treat.

Took off drive shaft (cable tied to coolant pipe to keep it out off the way).

[Image: 100_0580.jpg]

Drained out the oil.

Then drifted out the roll pin. (a bit tricky, you got to line it up otherwise it catches on the gearbox side on the way out. Slid off the drive flange.

Next took off the locking plate (13mm hex head bolt)

Used the tool to unscrew the seal carrier, and reveal the bearing.

[Image: 100_0581.jpg]

After a good inspection I checked the tool in my new carrier from DMCH.

[Image: 100_0579.jpg]

Fit's like a glove :lol: :lol:

So screwed it into the gearbox.

[Image: 100_0582.jpg]

Just snug and tight to take up the play Big Grin
And put the lock plate back on.

[Image: 100_0584.jpg]

Cleaned every thing up and put the flange and driveshaft back on (with a new "O" seal and roll pin) 8)

Oil back into the gearbox, and beer into belly :wink:

Regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Good job there Darren. Is all the play in the flanges gone now?
VIN: 6511
Hey great job Darren !... looks like you marked the carrier before removing it ... so that is another 180 degrees more or less you screwed it in ...
Dan1986 Wrote:Good job there Darren. Is all the play in the flanges gone now?

Not entirely Dan, but its much better than it was. I think it's just 28 years wear now. Not sure if I can live with 1/4mm play Big Grin :roll:
Took the car out for a nice long drive today, had a niggly squeek from the lambda counter. Shock so popped back home, stripped it down, re-greased the mechanism and fed some oil down the speedo cables.

Absolutely silent now Big Grin

Mike pm me your address and I'll post the tool to you.

Kind regards
D
VIN 4532

DOC-574
Excellent work there Darren, I bet that tool will travel far !

Can I borrow it after Mike please?

I've got to finish my auto computer rebuild tonight and get it back on the road!

NickT

ps Now you have made the tool, how long would it take for you to make another one with a slightly different design? I am thinking of one where there is a notch in the side, like a brake spanner, so it will go around the flange so you can tighten it up without having to remove the driveshaft and flange. Sort of like a C spanner. Mine just needs tightening up but the seal is OK. Just a thought, not sure about clearances.